Thur 3 Nov: Wheelchair RLWC: England v Australia 19:30

Who will win?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England
    • Australia

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/22 at 20:00

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That is why I phrased the 13 a side as "The able bodied version", I purposefully used that so as not to diminish the sport, the 'real' game was your own phschy taking over David, I was also going to say to run along side but used curtain raiser instead.

Part of the appeal of wheelchair RL is that it isn’t a ‘disabled’ person’s game its inclusive and stands as a sport in its own right, theres no need for it to be a curtain raiser

• Like 4

Just now, Dave T said:

Your suggestion of putting something as a curtain raiser makes it a secondary event. 

There is literally no reason to link WRL to running RL at outdoor stadiums. 

Are you not one of the advocates of the 'match day experience' I am not when it comes to bands and such I get there for the kick off, but having this sport also being played would entice me I in much sooner, and be happy to pay more for it.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Are you not one of the advocates of the 'match day experience' I am not when it comes to bands and such I get there for the kick off, but having this sport also being played would entice me I in much sooner, and be happy to pay more for it.

But it automatically makes the sport look inferior if its a curtain raiser, the indoor aspect is a positive to be capitalised on 

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Part of the appeal of wheelchair RL is that it isn’t a ‘disabled’ person’s game its inclusive and stands as a sport in its own right, theres no need for it to be a curtain 

Where did I mention 'disabled sport'

And did I not say that curtain raiser was only a choice of words.

There’s so much enthusiasm and interest right now that it is fair to consider how to best harness it.

We need to keep listening to those who organise the game about where the challenges and costs are and what can be done to alleviate that.

Just hope we can capitalise as best possible and more importantly use it as a breakthrough moment for the indoor game.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Where did I mention 'disabled sport'

And did I not say that curtain raiser was only a choice of words.

Your phrasing of the 13 a side game as the abled bodied version infers this is the disabled bodied version

I think ising running version as they have is better

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I'm happy to leave this discussion here. But I disagree with you 100% and feel very strongly that this is a wrong thing to do. But you're entitled to your opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Even so i still think it can stand alone as its own unique event

It is a unique event, the indoor arena element is a part of that, I don't see any reason to change that. 

• Like 3

Just now, Dave T said:

I'm happy to leave this discussion here. But I disagree with you 100% and feel very strongly that this is a wrong thing to do. But you're entitled to your opinion. 

I agree Dave I’m 50/50 wether Womens RL should be part of double headers but 100% certain Wheelchair RL shouldnt be

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Did you manage to watch the game, Harry?

How did it make you feel?

Would you feel encouraged to help Leigh promote a team?

Yes,

It was brilliant entertainment.

Well yes, but not to actually get involved other than as a spectator, but that was part of the reasoning to my suggestion of playing in already constructed stadia, how many of these are about that can also house a good number of spectators  Leigh has sports halls but not spectator capacity, and I should think that would be relevant to lots of places, if the intention is for RL clubs to widen the appeal of the game and make it accessible to many and clubs like Leigh invested in to it, how do they bring it to the public?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes,

Well yes, but not to actually get involved other than as a spectator, but that was part of the reasoning to my suggestion of playing in already constructed stadia, how many of these are about that can also house a good number of spectators  Leigh has sports halls but not spectator capacity, and I should think that would be relevant to lots of places, if the intention is for RL clubs to widen the appeal of the game and make it accessible to many and clubs like Leigh invested in to it, how do they bring it to the public?

It’s a good question and I think at the moment finals events played at bigger facilities with spectator capacity is the current solution (this was done in Hull quite recently for the Challenge Cup).

There’s also the question of broadcasting the games and the need for space, height and multiple camera set-ups - that’s what we saw yesterday and it made a huge difference.

Obviously trying to monetise Wheelchair RL is one of the aims, but there’s also practical investments for sports of this nature like transport facilities, the cost of the chairs themselves and also the fact that we want participation for all.

• Like 2

Absolutely mind blowingly brilliant, literally everything about that last night was outstanding. Well done to all involved, from the players, coaches, team staff to the organisers. 

I cant wait for the rest of the games now, its everything rugby league is about and more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes,

I'm in agreement with others that say you shouldn't try and turn WRL into a "support act" to mens RL, but I do think that one place you could make it work is around Magic Weekend. 

I've argued before that a way to really maximise the value of Magic is to look at how you can turn it into more of a "festival" occasion - a sort of "RL Glastonbury" if you like. We already encourage people to the city for the weekend and Newcastle has two indoor arenas (the basketball arena and the larger Utilita arena) within 1.5m of St James Park, so you could find a way of working some WRL in as part of that "festival" model. 

Like others I'd keep them seperate, but there are likely some opportunities to very carefully merge the different concepts. 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I'm in agreement with others that say you shouldn't try and turn WRL into a "support act" to mens RL, but I do think that one place you could make it work is around Magic Weekend. 

I've argued before that a way to really maximise the value of Magic is to look at how you can turn it into more of a "festival" occasion - a sort of "RL Glastonbury" if you like. We already encourage people to the city for the weekend and Newcastle has two indoor arenas (the basketball arena and the larger Utilita arena) within 1.5m of St James Park, so you could find a way of working some WRL in as part of that "festival" model. 

Like others I'd keep them seperate, but there are likely some opportunities to very carefully merge the different concepts. 

I do like that idea to be fair

Re the discussion of how or whether to link WRL with the running version I agree that we must be careful to ensure both sports are seen as having equal merit in their own right. However,  including both sports in combined events would most likely expose more people to live WRL. I have to admit to really minimal knowledge of WRL and how a combined event could work in terms of stadium size, viewing distances and playing surface.

One thing that did occur to me as I watched last night's action in amazement is that I think there could be as much opportunity for traditional running RL to piggyback off publicity given to WRL as vice versa. It could and should be a symbiotic and equal relationship.

Actually the other thing that I was amazed to discover (and apologies for my previous ignorance) is that WRL really is proper rugby league!

• Like 1

Surely any club wanting to be an A grade and those that are likely to be B’s that want to be A’s need to be offering more than just a men’s first team. Womens, PDRL, LDRL and wheelchair teams will need to be part of a club, I think. Pathways are no longer just “can we have an Academy?” to the RFL. 

• Like 3