1. 1. Who will win?

• New Zealand by 13 points or more
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • Fiji by 1 to 6 points
    • Fiji by 7 to 12 points
    • Fiji by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/22 at 20:00

2 minutes ago, The Legend said:

The KCom is the real theatre WET of dreams. 

Correction

• Confused 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 minutes ago, Skinnywinger said:

Whys everyone saying wrong call? He played at the ball and stripped it. Penalty. 

4 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

Loose carry 

That's why these calls are tough.  One day that could be a strip, the next a loose carry.

On first and second view I thought it was a loose carry then I saw Kikau's left hand play at the ball and thought it could well have been a strip.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Ref makes decision, fans don't agree or agree, nothing new here, move on.

• Like 1

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It was a penalty.

I can see the argument for a penalty, but Manu needs to respect possession, he's trying to spin away from a defender with it in one hand and they are just trying to stop him, there's no obvious pull on the ball, yes there's a hand on it, but that's not automatically a penalty. It's not the worst decision I've seen, but I'd be furious about it if I was in the Fiji camp. 

• Like 2

How many referees would be left if social media made the decisions at the final hooter of every match?

1. None.

2. A negative number. Somehow.

3. We'd go back with a time machine and eliminate the concept of a referee for all time.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Am I the only one on here that thought it was a penalty? Thought it was a strip personally, he swipes the ball out with his left hand.

As I have said, I could see it being called both ways... in fact it was by the onfield ref and video ref.

What I don't think we need is this defaulting to calling the video ref an idiot or muppet or clown just because he gives a decision we don't agree with.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's why these calls are tough.  One day that could be a strip, the next a loose carry.

On first and second view I thought it was a loose carry then I saw Kikau's left hand play at the ball and thought it could well have been a strip.

His arm was already touching ball he had to pull away, so it's ball carrier's responsibility?

anyways great game. 

Fiji could have a very strong side in three years time if injury/suspension is kind to them. Really only Sims + Naiqama from this side won't be there any many you'd expect would be much better/experienced. Add in Silktails continued progression with a bit of luck (and some games in between!) they could start to match Tonga's rise. 

RE: The Controversy

Where was the second knock-on?

If Sutton doesn`t call a double knock-on, if he instead waves play on Fiji ball, then the game doesn`t stop, and there cannot be a captain`s challenge.

Thus, we don`t hand a difficult call to a video ref.

This is the nub of the problem with Aussie knock-on derangement syndrome. If your default option when you see the ball hit the ground is to blow your whistle, it means officials rather than players will determine possession. 

2 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

His arm was already touching ball he had to pull away, so it's ball carrier's responsibility?

Yeah, could definitely have gone either way.

• Thanks 1

As far as I am concerned, the incorrect strip penalty call was not the be all and end all of the referee.

With 2 minutes left and a Fiji scrum 10m out, the referee allowed the scrum to be fed when the NZ lock was not attached and then didn’t penalise NZ for being 5m offside she. The ball left the scrum.

both were poor decisions. As I said earlier, I do T want to see him with a whistle for the rest of the tournament.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

How many referees would be left if social media made the decisions at the final hooter of every match?

1. None.

2. A negative number. Somehow.

3. We'd go back with a time machine and eliminate the concept of a referee for all time.

4. I would go back in time and deliberately make decisions that wound up the crowd to fever pitch.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Balmainboy said:

anyways great game. 

Fiji could have a very strong side in three years time if injury/suspension is kind to them. Really only Sims + Naiqama from this side won't be there any many you'd expect would be much better/experienced. Add in Silktails continued progression with a bit of luck (and some games in between!) they could start to match Tonga's rise. 

Yeah Fiji are probably the most under-strength side in the entire tournament, very much cruelled by injuries, suspension and the Silktails situation. 

Not sure how it gets resolved but the Silktails not being recognised by the FNRL is a massive problem as the refusal by the FNRL to pick any Silktails players wipes a massive chunk of their semi-pro playing pool.