1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/22 at 15:00

Game thread for England v Papua New Guinea.

• Thanks 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

It should be a great game. PNG have clearly benefitted from the PNG Hunters team and them having plenty of lads now in England or playing in the NRL. They look more patient in attack and defence then we've seen them look in the past and they'll need that in poor conditions. I do think we should have the ability to outlast them fitness wise, with guys like Radley, Knowles, Bateman, Lees etc and we should have the beating of them in the backs but it will be far from easy. One thing we cannot do is to start panicking if we fall behind. Any win will do.

England by 16

• Like 1

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I mean, surely…

PNG are physical and have played really well. We should have too much for them and, late on should win by a few.

Big step up and strongest team possible should be the order of the day. Looking forward to it before going to Tonga and Samoa and, please god, seeing our opponents in the semi’s.

Having played as well as I have ever seen an England side play anything less than the final would be a big disappointment.

20 minutes ago, tjhrads93 said:

Having played as well as I have ever seen an England side play anything less than the final would be a big disappointment.

Anything less than a tournament win for England would be a massive disappointment. Not necessarily a big shock as we're not favourites IMO but a massive disappointment all the same. An Australia win would just be depressing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It won't be close....we'll win easily by 30 or more

I have had a small bet on England to win by more than 22.

I have seen all the PNG games and they look solid. But there seems a gap in quality and England seem to be underestimated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niels said:

I have seen all the PNG games and they look solid. But there seems a gap in quality and England seem to be underestimated.

Lots of talk about their nuggetty forwards and strength in contact....they have like Wellington Albert and Namo in their pack.....second tier props... Burgess can through them both at the same time ....even Cooper might. Same story across the park

Don't believe the hype......England by a cricket score

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Padge said:

It was nice of them to hashtag me in on this one! 😉

Hope there was an exhibition of Uncle Joe’s mintballs (don’t go there) being distributed by kind old ladies outside Central Park!

As for the game itself, I’m stuck up in Cumbria and hoping to take a couple of soccer fans on a full ‘road to Damascus’ style conversion today!

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Niels said:

I have a medium bet on same.

England should and will win by at least 30

Edited by MattSantos
  • Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

England should be too physically powerful through the middle, killed the Samoan and French packs with a real focus on dominant wrestling and 3-4 guys in a tackle. The Papuans have been playing pretty smart with their ball movement so this should take some of the sting out of that wrestle but I doubt it will be enough to obtain the territory required to score significant points and put the game into question. 

The 2019 fixture against GB shows how PNG have to play if they want to pull off an outlandish result, unconventional structures backed by a very physical mentality and consistent pressure around the ruck led by one Edwin Ipape. Interestingly there's a few survivors in the pack from that game - Burgess, Hill, Bateman, Whitehead all started in 2019, Thompson was on the bench but hasn't made the 19 here while the injured Walmsley also came off the bench in that match.

• Like 2