Stop holding RL events in Huddersfield, the people there aren't interested

35 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

You don't think fathers and grandfathers (and, come to that, mothers and grandmothers) play a role in shaping the sport (or sports) their children and grandchildren become interested in?

If you look hard enough, you can always find an excuse. 

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

You don't think fathers and grandfathers (and, come to that, mothers and grandmothers) play a role in shaping the sport (or sports) their children and grandchildren become interested in?

I certainly played a role. My children and grandchildren have absolutely no interest at all in rugby league.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Daddy said:

And yet the record attendance at a stadium that's recently hosted premier league football was 24,375 for a RL game.

It's the RL public that aren't interested, not the people of Huddersfield.

Should we stop hosting games in Warrington, Leeds, St Helens etc as well?

What a pathetic post, the original on Twitter and this one

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, meast said:

Judging by the turnout at most grounds this last month it's fair to say no towns are Rugby League towns, not just Huddersfield.

Yup - there is always a reason.

Last night's game was, in effect, the "West Yorkshire" Quarter Final - it just happened to be at Huddersfield

Two other quarters are over in Lancashire/Cheshire, and the other on Humberside. There would have been an outcry if one of the quarters had NOT been in West Yorkshire - "heartlands", "hotbed of Rugby Leagu" etc etc

Where else would it have been? Wakefield? Castleford? Odsal? Yet another game at Headingley?

The collective RL fandom of West Yorkshire-for whom the Huddersfield ground is very accessible- managed 8K to watch the best team in the world...

The problem is wider than bashing Huddersfield Giants AGAIN

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, meast said:

Judging by the turnout at most grounds this last month it's fair to say no towns are Rugby League towns, not just Huddersfield.

I'm not sure there's such a thing as a Rugby League town in England.

In Wigan, the football team draws similar if not higher crowds despite being second or third tier. And that doesn't account for huge numbers of Wiganers who support other football teams.

Same in St Helens. Definitely more football fans than rugby fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will be suprised if there's more at Hull tonight.

So no good bashing Huddersfield.

• Like 5

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 hour ago, meast said:

And yet the record attendance at a stadium that's recently hosted premier league football was 24,375 for a RL game.

Just because I posted the tweet here doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it, but I do think it is worth a discussion. Is that pathetic?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Just because I posted the tweet here doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it, but I do think it is worth a discussion. Is that pathetic?

It might not have been if you'd said that in the OP,

And, having said it was worth discussing, discussed it.

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Lot's of us Fartowners accept this has been a huge issue for us, most super league clubs have had the love of the sport and hometown team passed down from generation to generation hence the fanbase has always been there,  we bypassed 2 generations from the 70's to 90's so there was no one around to introduce the kids of the 80's to be the fans of the 90's and 00's therefore no one to carry it on, the majority of our 5,000 hardcore fans are either completely new fans to the sport in the last 20 years or old timers like me who have seen the bad times but are still here.

I also gather there was a rather excellent fans event in St George's square with food and live music pre-match too.

There is no less reason to Huddersfield not having these games as any other Northern town, it's just another excuse to have a pop at Huddersfield.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, meast said:

I guess Hull is done after tonight?

Fwiw we all said there looked to be far more than 7,000 there tonight.

14 hours ago, Chris22 said:

I'm not sure there's such a thing as a Rugby League town in England.

In Wigan, the football team draws similar if not higher crowds despite being second or third tier. And that doesn't account for huge numbers of Wiganers who support other football teams.

Same in St Helens. Definitely more football fans than rugby fans.

St Helens has a soccer club that draws more fans than the Saints?