Shaun Wane

Apparently extended his contract. Excellent news. Just how good a coach and man manager is he. The decisions to bring on the untried Australia based players; the revitalisation of some who have had lacklustre seasons like Williams and Bateman; same for those who’s careers have apparently been close to the edge like the phenomenal Chris Hill; the bringing in of Ackers/ Snead and the amazing team/squad atmosphere. Yes I know they’ve had some easy games and nothing’s gone wrong yet, not have they won anything yet but credit where credit is due. The man deserves a medal. Let’s hope it’s a World Cup winners one.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

Apparently extended his contract. Excellent news. Just how good a coach and man manager is he. The decisions to bring on the untried Australia based players; the revitalisation of some who have had lacklustre seasons like Williams and Bateman; same for those who’s careers have apparently been close to the edge like the phenomenal Chris Hill; the bringing in of Ackers/ Snead and the amazing team/squad atmosphere. Yes I know they’ve had some easy games and nothing’s gone wrong yet, not have they won anything yet but credit where credit is due. The man deserves a medal. Let’s hope it’s a World Cup winners one.

He’s done a cracking job under difficult circumstances since his appointment & the many accusations of Wigan bias,dull rugby,dads army has been firmly put to bed.

With the talent coming through he’ll get to work with & hopefully a bigger international schedule I’m really excited for the future of the national team going forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Would have waited till after the world cup tbh. He still hasn't coached against Australia or New Zealand.

So his whole job would come down to one fixture? (Potentially) I think that would be extremely harsh.

He’s done a fantastic job, that’s easy to see. He’s so underrated as a coach IMO. There always seem to be this narrative around him that he’s some sort of table thumping, chest beating, tactic free coach, who just goes in to a room and says ‘smash um’ and walks out (not saying that’s your opinion by the way) but he’s tactically superb as well. I think we’re lucky to have him and he’ll hopefully stay around for a good while yet. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, WN83 said:

So his whole job would come down to one fixture? (Potentially) I think that would be extremely harsh.

He’s done a fantastic job, that’s easy to see. He’s so underrated as a coach IMO. There always seem to be this narrative around him that he’s some sort of table thumping, chest beating, tactic free coach, who just goes in to a room and says ‘smash um’ and walks out (not saying that’s your opinion by the way) but he’s tactically superb as well. I think we’re lucky to have him and he’ll hopefully stay around for a good while yet. 

I'm not saying that, but ultimately as England head coach everything up to playing NZ and Australia (maybe Tonga too) should be a formality.

41 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm not saying that, but ultimately as England head coach everything up to playing NZ and Australia (maybe Tonga too) should be a formality.

A formality ? pretty sure there was a large number of people,including a lot of posters on this forum writing us off,especially after the raft of injury withdrawals.

He's done better than Bennett so far.

Bennett to us to a level - but was very boring.

Wane been excellent so far. Samoa and PNG treated with disdain really.

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

That’s writing off some good sides. Let’s make no bones about it, Samoa and PNG are no mugs and we’ve absolutely battered both of them. 

I get what you’re saying regards wanting to judge him on games with NZ or Australia but unfortunately he’s going to get a maximum of one game against them in this comp and with a decision needed on a contract extension, you’re never going to make that call on a one off game. Hopefully he’ll get to coach the side in an Ashes series or against the Kiwis pretty soon and personally I couldn’t think of anyone better to be in charge. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WN83 said:

That’s writing off some good sides. Let’s make no bones about it, Samoa and PNG are no mugs and we’ve absolutely battered both of them. 

I get what you’re saying regards wanting to judge him on games with NZ or Australia but unfortunately he’s going to get a maximum of one game against them in this comp and with a decision needed on a contract extension, you’re never going to make that call on a one off game. Hopefully he’ll get to coach the side in an Ashes series or against the Kiwis pretty soon and personally I couldn’t think of anyone better to be in charge. 

I wouldn't sack him necessarily on just a one off game against Oz or NZ, as you say that would be silly, unless England were humiliated. But ultimately beating them is the job and what defines success in the role of England head coach. 

I think its just something I'd have waited till after the World Cup to sort tbh.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I wouldn't sack him necessarily on just a one off game against Oz or NZ, as you say that would be silly, unless England were humiliated. But ultimately beating them is the job and what defines success in the role of England head coach. 

I think its just something I'd have waited till after the World Cup to sort tbh.

Even a pasting in a final wouldn’t change my mind because it wouldn’t undo the good work already done and if the decision makers were thinking like that, there’s no point waiting. He will end up being judged on series against those two teams eventually but he can’t help the fact he’s not had the chance yet. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Leonard said:

He's done better than Bennett so far.

Bennett to us to a level - but was very boring.

Wane been excellent so far. Samoa and PNG treated with disdain really.

Has he? 

Bennett was sacked for England because of his record for GB, which is odd.

That aside his England record saw England reach a world cup final for the first time since 1995 and beat the Kiwis 2-1 in a home series. The quality of England player available is arguably better now (no Bateman at centre or Brown and Gale in the halves). 

There's not much between Bennett, Wane or even McNamara as England head coach as yet, imo. Wane could change that dramatically in 2 weeks time.

There is no better candidate available than Wane and he has got England playing as well as I've seen in a very long time. I could easily see an NRL club offering him a role so this is a good move by the RFL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

At Wigan he had (realise he's still there in some capacity) a reputation for building processes, to the point where the youths coming into the team slotted in effortlessly. Great work in my opinion, and what I'm basically seeing in this England team with some of the players others seem to have written off (albeit not youth players, they seem to be doing what's needed and showing their talent).

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Has he? 

Bennett was sacked for England because of his record for GB, which is odd.

That aside his England record saw England reach a world cup final for the first time since 1995 and beat the Kiwis 2-1 in a home series. The quality of England player available is arguably better now (no Bateman at centre or Brown and Gale in the halves). 

There's not much between Bennett, Wane or even McNamara as England head coach as yet, imo. Wane could change that dramatically in 2 weeks time.

Bennett was fine up to a point - but GB or England (you can debate the difference if any) were pretty boring to watch imho, even if he did stiffen the defence.

He also lost 34-0 in that Kiwi Series, albeit series won by then, and that Semi vs Tonga was a ball hair or a ball strip away from being the biggest bottle job in England RL history.

Quality of players is up for debate. What I wouldn't give for a 33 yo Sam Burgess in this side though.

One thing I would say is that all of them need to do a job down under to be considered great. If we ever tour again properly that is.

Edited by Leonard

31 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

At Wigan he had (realise he's still there in some capacity) a reputation for building processes, to the point where the youths coming into the team slotted in effortlessly. Great work in my opinion, and what I'm basically seeing in this England team with some of the players others seem to have written off (albeit not youth players, they seem to be doing what's needed and showing their talent).

It’s a great point and what excites me about this England team and the future is that there is some young talent pushing through who can play a part going forward. Guys like Newman, Dodd, Smithies, Gannon, Havard etc are fantastic young players and as the older guard fall away, these guys (and more) will come through. 

1 minute ago, WN83 said:

It’s a great point and what excites me about this England team and the future is that there is some young talent pushing through who can play a part going forward. Guys like Newman, Dodd, Smithies, Gannon, Havard etc are fantastic young players and as the older guard fall away, these guys (and more) will come through. 

I think the year delay in the WC helped us a bit that way. Specifically Young, Farmworth and letting Watkins get back to form.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

I think the year delay in the WC helped us a bit that way. Specifically Young, Farmworth and letting Watkins get back to form.

Definitely. I was confident going in to this tournament. We got written off on the basis that lads hadn’t had the chance to show their class in internationals. The media down under especially just saw the exits of guys like Burgess and Graham and went ‘they’ve gone backwards’ but that was simply because they’re ignorant to how good guys like Welsby and Knowles are and if you’ve not played in the NRL as Makinson, Hill, McMeekan etc haven’t, they’re not having you. We’re doing really well and we’ve probably been hit harder than anyone with injuries pre tournament, so we can probably get a stronger team out in future years. 

If Samoa give Australia a game in the final then his position won't be called into question. If Australia walk it then people might question his position.

To be fair, he best this side 60-6 in the first game. The problem with test games are that if you have a bad game beyond the group stages that's you done and that's what happened today. Wane isn't the man on the pitch and we weren't trounced. Announce our test games for next year and let's see how we get on. 

Edited by Renegade1987
  • Like 1