Half Time, Full Time Player Interviews, STOP

Padge

Is it time to stop interviewing players at half-time and full time and just let the commentator read out the pre-prepared script.

I have heard the same script so often it is totally tedious and I am bloody sick of it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

11 minutes ago, Padge said:

Is it time to stop interviewing players at half-time and full time and just let the commentator read out the pre-prepared script.

I have heard the same script so often it is totally tedious and I am bloody sick of it.

I'd like to see some honest replies.

"Well, Claire, if I'm honest we were utter **** and the ref is  a **** so I don't really know how to avoid losing by loads more"

Next one:

"Yeah, 40-0 up, piece of p*** against these losers. We'll probably get another 40 or so then put the cue on the rack"

Edited by tim2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Oh great. Is there any remaining aspect of the game that it's "fans" haven't demeaned, spat on and jeered at?

Check out Stuart Williams at 
1:58:10 of https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001dt2d/rugby-league-world-cup-2021-wheelchair-france-v-wales - will that do?

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Oh great. Is there any remaining aspect of the game that it's "fans" haven't demeaned, spat on and jeered at?

Check out Stuart Williams at 
1:58:10 of https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001dt2d/rugby-league-world-cup-2021-wheelchair-france-v-wales - will that do?

I don't think anyone has criticised the length of that blade of grass at Warrington that was 134,854 blades inwards at a 83 degree angle from the North-West corner of the pitch even though it was 3mm longer than any other around it in a radius of 23cm. Bloody atrocious grounds keeping that! 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I don't think anyone has criticised the length of that blade of grass at Warrington that was 134,854 blades inwards at a 83 degree angle from the North-West corner of the pitch even though it was 3mm longer than any other around it in a radius of 23cm. Bloody atrocious grounds keeping that! 

I was at Warrington today and noticed that myself, really got on my nerves so I went and had a word with the groundsman at halftime. I told him he is a disgrace to the game and his profession, and that it would never have happened at a proper rugby ground like Wilderspool.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

An Aussie fan on facebook was complaining that the in-goals weren't big enough and we should never have the World Cup again.

• Haha 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

8 minutes ago, tim2 said:

An Aussie fan on facebook was complaining that the in-goals weren't big enough and we should never have the World Cup again.

As someone who's club has taken plenty of flack for having a small pitch,I'd like to say  it's been noticeable how many world cup games gave taken place where the pitches havnt been a 100m and with small in goals  Good to hear Vossy highlighting it as hopefully its raised awareness that we aren't the only team that plays on a small pitch.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

As someone who's club has taken plenty of flack for having a small pitch,I'd like to say  it's been noticeable how many world cup games gave taken place where the pitches havnt been a 100m and with small in goals  Good to hear Vossy highlighting it as hopefully its raised awareness that we aren't the only team that plays on a small pitch.

Very few pitches equal maximum, most equal minimum and some are below minimum but as 'historic' grounds its ignored.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

He's right the end zones aren't deep enough but then neither are theirs nowadays.  They should be 10 metres deep like they used to be, then kicks into the end zone won't ever go dead if they're weighted right.

In the days when the marker could strike the ball in the scrimmage* that gave scope for interesting play when a team had possession inside their 20 metre line, as was strikingly illustrated early in the 1992 Aussie Preliminary Final between St George and Illawarra.  St. George had possession deep in their end after an Illawarra punt, and when they scrimmaged the ball the Illawarra marker kicked it into the end zone but not dead and the Dragons failed to run it out, bringing up a goal line drop-out for them.  The kick didn't go dead so the Dragons had to try running it out, which wouldn't have happened with shallower end zones.

* The first use of the word in this sense was in Canada in 1875 to describe the offensive team putting the ball in play after a tackle by having the scrim (the player in the centre of their line) play the ball back with his foot.  Therefore calling the modern gridiron method of putting the ball back into play scrimmage is a misapplication of the word and my use of it here is correct.

53 minutes ago, Padge said:

Very few pitches equal maximum, most equal minimum and some are below minimum but as 'historic' grounds its ignored.

For reasons such as the play I described above, fields of play and end zones should be full size whenever possible and only marginally less than full size in other cases.  The RFL minimum is woefully inadequate.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Padge said:

I like it. a mate who doesnt usually watch league said how refreshing it was and football would never do it. watch union start doing it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IM2 said:

I like it. a mate who doesnt usually watch league said how refreshing it was and football would never do it. watch union start doing it 

It's very analagous to the half time interviews with coaches common in gridiron (NCAA gridiron especially).

They're fine. Gives the analysis team a few more moments to get set into positions from watching the game and the editors a moment longer to get the packages together.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Sometimes they're ok, sometimes they are understandably keen to get back into the changing rooms.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

He was basically raging, he had a right rant about how they'd played. 

I enjoyed seeing his raw rage/passion. 

Just watched it , he wasn't happy was he 🙄

He was phenomenal in that game , it seemed like there was three of him playing at one point , tackling everybody , then at hooker , receiving his own passes and chasing his own kicks 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Just watched it , he wasn't happy was he 🙄

He was phenomenal in that game , it seemed like there was three of him playing at one point , tackling everybody , then at hooker , receiving his own passes and chasing his own kicks 

Yep, he had a great tournament as a leader, and was clearly frustrated with his team. It's why I don't mind the interviews, sure you are going to get a lot of stock answers at times, but you also do at the start and the end of a game (dare I say it, players are not always that interesting to interview!) - but I do think it gets us closer to players, and we will get the odd one like this, or even the stuff that Jake Mamo came up with in the past.

It's all good as far as I'm concerned.