Samoa not talking to the media

Just when you thought Matt Parish couldn't be any more of a wazzock, he's doubled-down on his Samoa media ban this week. Disgraceful. Their first-ever World Cup semi-final, they have a responsibility to both Samoan rugby league's legacy from this tournament and also the tournament itself. If he won't give his own head a wobble, somebody should do it for him - ideally a fine or possibly stadium ban unless he relents. What a tool he is. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Just now, MattSantos said:

What's the context, why have they done it?

Helps fire England up in my eyes... if they even needed it

Parrish has been spiky all tournament, after the (deserved) criticism he received following the opening match. 

If he can't stand the heat, he should get out of the kitchen. Instead of drinking it dry for a decade. 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Match fees are normally dependent on a minimum amount of media engagement.

The RLWC may want to have a look that - and the Samoan players might want to ask their coach what he's doing when/if those rules are enforced.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I've never liked Matt Parish.

He was smuggest coach I've ever seen come to British game from Australia. Seemed to think he was better than British rugby league. Ran away after a few games.

He's a professional assistant coach. He might have some good ideas, tactics etc... But you can see that he likes the smell of his own farts. Players can see that too.

He's smug as ****. I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club/team.

Edited by Welshleaguelover
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Meh. It makes for its own column inches and can be played upon, by the right journalists, in the lead up to the semi. 

Nah, I'd rather have interviews with some of the world's greatest players in the build up their nations biggest ever match of all time

26 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Meh. It makes for its own column inches and can be played upon, by the right journalists, in the lead up to the semi. 

I get what you're saying in as much as having a bad guy can help generate publicity but I'm with HKB and Vossy on this one.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

53 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Just when you thought Matt Parish couldn't be any more of a wazzock, he's doubled-down on his Samoa media ban this week. Disgraceful. Their first-ever World Cup semi-final, they have a responsibility to both Samoan rugby league's legacy from this tournament and also the tournament itself. If he won't give his own head a wobble, somebody should do it for him - ideally a fine or possibly stadium ban unless he relents. What a tool he is. 

Credit to Vossy for calling it out. Top man.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Nah, I'd rather have interviews with some of the world's greatest players in the build up their nations biggest ever match of all time

As would I but that’s not the decision that’s been made. Rather than stamp feet about it, good journalists here can and certainly will tell that story in a way that, likely, adds to the spectacle and build-up ahead of the game. 

12 minutes ago, Ullman said:

I get what you're saying in as much as having a bad guy can help generate publicity but I'm with HKB and Vossy on this one.

As above, it would be good but tell the story about it. It adds to the spectacle and build-up. 

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

As would I but that’s not the decision that’s been made. Rather than stamp feet about it, good journalists here can and certainly will tell that story in a way that, likely, adds to the spectacle and build-up ahead of the game. 

It shouldn't be a decision he is allowed to make. Teams, coaches and players in a World Cup should have minimum expectations in terms of media work, and they should be punished for refusing to do them. If you don't want to do your job, move out of the way and someone else will. I hope the organisers grow some balls and fine him. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If Australian RL was embodied in one man, it's this guy. Arrogant and insular. 

At least you didn't have to suffer him being the coach. Dark days as a Salford Fan, Shaun McRae's awful coaching era followed by 6 games of this man.

• Like 1

Just now, DavidM said:

Parish’s post game interview yesterday was like getting blood out of a stone . 

Imagine being such a joyless egotist that you make that occassion about your petty gripes about people (correctly) pointing out just how badly you got thunped in week one, rather than the fabulous achievement of your players.

Then deprive them of the coverage their achievement deserves.

What an Australian.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It shouldn't be a decision he is allowed to make. Teams, coaches and players in a World Cup should have minimum expectations in terms of media work, and they should be punished for refusing to do them. If you don't want to do your job, move out of the way and someone else will. I hope the organisers grow some balls and fine him. 

They don’t so he can pull this trick, which I’m fine with. Ideally, they’d do it and take part in the build up but they’re not. It’s now for the journalists to turn this story into something that adds to the “us vs them” nature of the upcoming game and add to the build-up of what is an already exciting game. I’d rather see some passion and opinion sometimes instead of going through the motions with interviews.