1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/22 at 20:15

On 10/11/2022 at 08:06, UTK said:

Interesting statistic about the Kangaroos in this match - If Reuben Cotter makes the final 17 (assuming Mitchell, Addo-Carr and Wighton are locked in) then 4/17 (24%) of the Kangaroos will be Indigenous Australians, for reference Indigenous Australians make up 3.8% of Australia's total population.

To put some further perspective on this, there have only been 14 Indigenous Australian Wallabies in their entire history and 4 of those converted to RU when they were fully professional RL players, a few more of those 14 were similarly poached while playing for junior RL representative sides.

12 of the Kiwis 19 man squad are Maori (63%) with Maori individuals making up 16.5% New Zealands population.

I think the difficulty here is that a lot of it is down to what people personally decide to identify as , I would imagine let’s say Jack Wighton could easily identify as European heritage . It may well be that many in the RU side chose to not identify solely with there indigenous heritage. 

I apologise for not being my normal super coherent self tonight as I have been drinking all day.

So I will fall back on first principles. 

Australia are really good at Rugby League and they will win.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

You’re obviously drunk, my friend, as you’re making complete sense. No offence.

None taken (I'm a pleasant drunk!) 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I am totally confused about the game now.

I could back NZ with 13 start which would have seemed a great bet at the start of the tournament.

The racing post, who have been very accurate with their predictions, have tipped Australia to win by 11-20 points.

I think there may have been an over reaction to NZ's poor performance against Fiji. But the Fijians played well so it's not easy to evaluate.

Edited by Niels

15 minutes ago, Niels said:

I am totally confused about the game now.

I could back NZ with 13 start which would have seemed a great bet at the start of the tournament.

The racing post, who have been very accurate with their predictions, have tipped Australia to win by 11-20 points.

I think there may have been an over reaction to NZ's poor performance against Fiji. But the Fijians played well so it's not easy to evaluate.

Bookies here think OZ by 13+ is the most likely outcome. I won't be betting but the best value would seem to be NZ by 1-12 @ 4/1

I think OZ will win but I won't be shocked if the Kiwis get up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RL Tragic said:

I think the difficulty here is that a lot of it is down to what people personally decide to identify as , I would imagine let’s say Jack Wighton could easily identify as European heritage . It may well be that many in the RU side chose to not identify solely with there indigenous heritage. 

not really, it’s pretty organic, people identify how they’re brought up culturally, Wighton I presume was brought up in a “community” he’s a part of that community & he & family have probably identified as a part of the community long term 

Rugny Australia has never done anything much for indigenous Australia, they try & introduce players now & again through scholarships etc but indigenous players usually feel much more comfortable in Rugby League for its community feel & it being synonymous with indigenous communities in NSW & QLD & also for its less structured, play what’s in front of you appeal

The best known aboriginal players were the Ella brothers who were at a rugby league school in an indigenous area of Sydney playing league in the South Sydney juniors when they had a teacher who was a rugby bloke associated with Randwick, he recognised their talent & the rest is history, they would have been good League players, as their cousin “the zip zip man” Steve Ella certainly was 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I apologise for not being my normal super coherent self tonight as I have been drinking all day.

So I will fall back on first principles. 

Australia are really good at Rugby League and they will win.

I presumed you were always drunk while posting here 

Edited by DavidM
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I presumed you were always drunk while posting here 

I would say 80/20.

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

Bookies here think OZ by 13+ is the most likely outcome. I won't be betting but the best value would seem to be NZ by 1-12 @ 4/1

I think OZ will win but I won't be shocked if the Kiwis get up.

Interesting as well that the poll on this thread has so little backing for a narrow Aus victory (compared to slightly greater margin or narrow NZ victory - when spreads are lined up next to each other that seems the really anomalous 

1 minute ago, N2022 said:

Interesting as well that the poll on this thread has so little backing for a narrow Aus victory (compared to slightly greater margin or narrow NZ victory - when spreads are lined up next to each other that seems the really anomalous 

I expect that is because people are voting with either their heart or their head. And neither gives a narrow Aus win.

• Like 1

Just now, glossop saint said:

I expect that is because people are voting with either their heart or their head. And neither gives a narrow Aus win.

1 minute ago, glossop saint said:

Really hard fought NZ win is what I would like. Take a bit more out of them ahead of the final, although I appreciate the turnarounds are more generous now.