1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/22 at 20:15

19 minutes ago, RippinandTearin said:

I do indeed live in steak & kidney 

Oi dont be borrowing our Rhyming slang Mush. It sounds ridiculous when it comes from country cousins 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

50 minutes ago, RippinandTearin said:

what are you on about? The player wasn’t tackled, are you blind? Why would the kiwis kick up a stink? They know it was ok, they play to the same standards week in week out 

49 minutes ago, ukrlfan said:

He wasn't tackled 

The ref had a good game 

Get a grip 

I'm not an expert. 

But I was always led to believe that if the ball carrying arm hit the ground and an opposition player touched you, the tackle was completed. Now, as I saw it the Aussie player was tackled and his arm hit the ground and NZ player(s) had contact with him. 

So A) why was it a try and b) how come the video ref decided the decision so quickly and in real time.

Not a conspiracy, I just want to know.

5 minutes ago, RippinandTearin said:

I suspect people living in a tent in Norfolk would have lots in common with the punters getting around King Street, are you sure you used that soap every day? Eh? Cmon?.. 🙄

If you actually are in Australia, which I very much doubt, you really shouldn't have had so much to drink that early in the morning.

Can’t be bothered with folk coming here and trolling. And it is trolling. He got you lot all going. Booted for a while. Too many posts to tidy, I did get most though. 

• Like 3

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

If you actually are in Australia, which I very much doubt, you really shouldn't have had so much to drink that early in the morning.

His girlfriend has got a puncture and as a result she's feeling a big deflated so he's taking his frustrations out on us miserable northerners and our bleak lives. 

Sorry I went to bed didn't i? 😴

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I'm not an expert. 

But I was always led to believe that if the ball carrying arm hit the ground and an opposition player touched you, the tackle was completed. Now, as I saw it the Aussie player was tackled and his arm hit the ground and NZ player(s) had contact with him. 

So A) why was it a try and b) how come the video ref decided the decision so quickly and in real time.

Not a conspiracy, I just want to know.

I think the key to this decision is that Wighton was Still moving.  If a player is on the ground and prone/still with the arm or ball on the ground and a hand is laid on him then it will be called a tackle. 

But here, the tackler fell off while Wighton was still moving.  I would have expected any ref to allow him to get up and continue running in that situation and so a pass is also legitimate. 

That's my take anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

I think the key to this decision is that Wighton was Still moving.  If a player is on the ground and prone/still with the arm or ball on the ground and a hand is laid on him then it will be called a tackle. 

But here, the tackler fell off while Wighton was still moving.  I would have expected any ref to allow him to get up and continue running in that situation and so a pass is also legitimate. 

That's my take anyway. 

I'm always happy to bow to superior knowledge and understanding of the rules. 

I didn't see it that way but I aren't going to say it was some sort of conspiracy.

But......

It does strike me, after many years of watching the game just how many of these decisions seem to go the Australians way. Just saying. 

• Like 6

One of the most intense games I've ever seen from start to finish. Couldn't take my eyes off the screen!

NZ ultimately let down by their last tackle plays. They had enough chances but some of those kicks were dreadful.

Congrats Aus. Hopefully you struggle to recover for next week and get stuffed!

• Like 5
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's my take anyway. 

I agree that that's how the ref interpreted it and it's the only scenario where the try is legitimate.

I think Wighton only went to move again AFTER Manu slipped off, i.e. he wasn't moving when the ball-carrying arm was down.

It's a close one, but I feel it went the wrong way.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

That's my take anyway. 

Watching in real time, and purposefully avoiding the match thread on here (because I just get annoyed or distracted by this site's match threads), that's 100% how I saw it.

After reading posts on here, I'd say it was a marginal call. At the time, watching on TV, I had no problem with it at all.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

I didn't see it that way but I aren't going to say it was some sort of conspiracy.

But......

It does strike me, after many years of watching the game just how many of these decisions seem to go the Australians way. Just saying. 

And I am not saying my interpretation is correct.  Just that is what the video ref gave.

And as I have said many times, we don't have laws anymore, we have laws and interpretations and sometimes those interpretations directly contradict the laws so it is a bit of a lottery. 

I thought the decision was OK.  Not least because I like interpretations to favour attacking teams.  Just a pity it was Australia!

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

But......

Quite

16 minutes ago, ckn said:

Can’t be bothered with folk coming here and trolling. And it is trolling. He got you lot all going. Booted for a while. Too many posts to tidy, I did get most though. 

Got to admit I did bite a little 

• Like 1

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

23 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

They are absolutely capable of doing so. I think we have a better side than in 2017 less Sam Burgess. 

They totally are a fantastic side and 100% capable of beating Australia. 

Of course, they first have to get there. And if they do, they have to get the foot to the throat and never let up. 

Unless they are winning 30-0 after 79 minutes. 

30 minutes ago, RippinandTearin said:

Im not sledging, I’m having fun with my new friends, I’m a bit concerned how they’re all trying to pile on me with gnashing teeth & claws out 😂

You'll find that on here, the idea of an Internet forum is lost on certain* people. They don't want to hear opinions that differ from their own. They can't handle it. They want an echo chamber of middle-aged English men. 

*certain people = by no means all posters. A select few special cases only. 

What a game! Just back from Elland road and made me stop doubting whether the travel and tiredness was worth it.

NZ dominated physically as expected but again seemed a bit panicky in good ball. If they had been a bit more patient I think they could have got a result. 

Australia’s defense is outstanding and England are going to struggle to break them down if we get there.

Thought Klein was good and let it flow, my only question was on that yardage penalty that led to the Murray try. He’d let a lot go and then gave an innocuous penalty that relieved pressure at a crucial time that ultimately decided the game. 

Onto tomorrow!

• Like 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

16 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

They totally are a fantastic side and 100% capable of beating Australia. 

Of course, they first have to get there. And if they do, they have to get the foot to the throat and never let up. 

Unless they are winning 30-0 after 79 minutes. 

Foot to the throat for at least a decade. Maybe more.

Remember Darren Lockyer destroying us in the last five minutes of each test in a three game series?

Edited by Stuff Smith

1 minute ago, Stuff Smith said:

Foot to the throat for at least at least a decade. Maybe more.

Remember Darren Lockyer destroying us in the last five minutes of each test in a three game series?

I do. 

And one of my most annoying memories is after the 2011 4N final at Elland Rd was the rush by our media to almost toss him off after the game. They could at least have been as peed off as I was about losing yet another important final. 😎

1 hour ago, The One said:

It really is a shame NZ didn’t win, Aus winning the comp does damage the World Cup for me.

Why is that?

Surely it is up to the other nations to step up to the mark, and sort themselves out internally?

Australia actually helps other nations become more competitive by providing a framework to develop/improve via the NRL. It is the presence of the NRL that has allowed PNG to become far more competitive by getting players into the league via their development  pathway. It has helped Fiji, Tonga and Samoa become more competitive by providing professional opportunities for their (mainly heritage) players and it has provided a huge leg up to NZRL by basing a team in Auckland and opening up the Toyota cup to the NZ Warriors as well. Even England has greatly benefitted as if we look at their team, pretty much all their best players play in the NRL or (like Sam Tomkins) have played there in the past.

I agree it can be frustrating to see the same team winning tournament after tournament, but England has a massive opportunity to win this year - they are at home, in weather conditions alien to their opponents, with a good squad and good preparation afforded to them. They have absolutely no excuses. 

Let's not blame the Australians for being so good - without them, rugby league would by now be mired in part time mediocrity. 

• Like 1

Just now, Madrileño said:

Why is that?

Surely it is up to the other nations to step up to the mark, and sort themselves out internally?

Australia actually helps other nations become more competitive by providing a framework to develop/improve via the NRL. It is the presence of the NRL that has allowed PNG to become far more competitive by getting players into the league via their development  pathway. It has helped Fiji, Tonga and Samoa become more competitive by providing professional opportunities for their (mainly heritage) players and it has provided a huge leg up to NZRL by basing a team in Auckland and opening up the Toyota cup to the NZ Warriors as well. Even England has greatly benefitted as if we look at their team, pretty much all their best players play in the NRL or (like Sam Tomkins) have played there in the past.

I agree it can be frustrating to see the same team winning tournament after tournament, but England has a massive opportunity to win this year - they are at home, in weather conditions alien to their opponents, with a good squad and good preparation afforded to them. They have absolutely no excuses. 

Let's not blame the Australians for being so good - without them, rugby league would by now be mired in part time mediocrity. 

Mate, I’m not blaming Australia, I just find it too predictable.

• Like 2