1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/22 at 20:15

6 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I can understand the call of Try, but I would have disallowed it for Manu being in contact as Wighton momentarily came to a halt on the ground.

That's not what the Law says, though. It's incredibly tough on NZ because it was a fantastic potential try saver had he been able to hang on or another Kiwi had got there.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The 18-man rotation used by the Aussies seemed to be the key to their victory.

On a serious note, I was fine with the Wighton-to-Holmes try and with the decision to disallow New Zealand's 'offside try'. However, I thought the 90-ish seconds leading up to the Murray try allowed the Aussies to gain crucial momentum.

Penalty, set restart, penalty. The second of those penalties, going into the last tackle of that set, was (probably) technically correct under the laws but Klein's interpretation of that law momentarily appeared to change (relative to other similar moments in the match).

It all counts in a 'two-point ball game'.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tim2 said:

That's not what the Law says, though. It's incredibly tough on NZ because it was a fantastic potential try saver had he been able to hang on or another Kiwi had got there.

I think the Laws use the word ''hold'' or some-such. I can definitely see the arguments both ways. I just think there was sufficient evidence of Wighton being slowed and then promoting from a grounded arm after Manu slips off.

9 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Watching Manu in slow motion there was amazing.

He tackled/went to tackle Wighton, slipped off, tried to tackle with the other hand as he was slipping backwards, and then attempted to lunge to slap down Wighton's popped pass to Holmes. All in the space of a second or so.

He's an incredible player. Didn't deserve to be on the losing side last night.

22 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

The 18-man rotation used by the Aussies seemed to be the key to their victory.

On a serious note, I was fine with the Wighton-to-Holmes try and with the decision to disallow New Zealand's 'offside try'. However, I thought the 90-ish seconds leading up to the Murray try allowed the Aussies to gain crucial momentum.

Penalty, set restart, penalty. The second of those penalties, going into the last tackle of that set, was (probably) technically correct under the laws but Klein's interpretation of that law momentarily appeared to change (relative to other similar moments in the match).

It all counts in a 'two-point ball game'.

I thought that the Holmes try shouldn't have been given but was marginal. The offside was the correct call. For me it was the fact that the vast majority of decisions erred on the side of Australia. Shoulder charges, 'fights', set resets, slow play the balls. NZ did get a couple of dodgy knock on/strips in their favour. I am definitely in a minority and accept that I am probably wrong but I don't think Klein had a good game.

It also doesn't help that it was an Australian ref giving Australia those marginal calls. Somewhere where the game really doesn't help itself.

Edited by glossop saint
Typos
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Iceberg Slim said:

found fox league Brian fletchers comments very dismissive of the kiwis and typical sentiments towards the international game. they need to get over that every game has to be as fast as the nrl ######. It just irks me they can’t appreciate a tight game and that yes the ruck was abit slow but it went both ways. 2 amazing teams that deserve at least 1-2 a year but a 3 test series would be great

According to nrl. Com the PTB was faster last night than the NRL Grand Final. 

It was broadly in line with Origin 1 and substantially faster than Origin 2 and 3.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

According to nrl. Com the PTB was faster last night than the NRL Grand Final. 

It was broadly in line with Origin 1 and substantially faster than Origin 2 and 3.

Wow I didn’t realise that. Thanks Dave. I really believe England nz have to play aus more regularly and the standards will lift above origin over time. England aren’t far off and I expect them to do well in the final

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

I find the narrative odd that the Aussies blew the Kiwis away and were a step ahead. 

The Kiwis had a disallowed try for being half a yard offside, and were still on the attack to win the game in the dying stages. 

i don't get that.

The Kiwis were outstanding in the first half and deserved at least a 2 score lead on the balance of play.

only the period from scoring the try to take the lead and 10 minutes after that when they penned the Kiwis in did the Aussies look dominant in the game.

it was an outstanding game of rugby league and have to pay credit to the ref who let it flow it was breathless.

4 hours ago, jacksy said:

Was out with the Mrs tonight at a friends birthday.

Seen the score the now but not the game.

Be honest  will i be pi%$#& off with the aussie ref?

If the answer is yes , I'm not watching it.

All depends on if you want to be angry with the ref or not.

If you want to, you will find a hundred things the Kangaroos could have been pinged for as it was an intense, super fast game and the nature of the sport is that a lot of stuff at the ruck could technically be penalised if the ref wanted to.

And if you look at it objectively, there is plenty of stuff the Kiwis could have been pinged for as well.

But what it was, was a superb game of Rugby where the ref let the players get on with it and it was a better spectacle than if he had blown 20 penalties. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

What a game that was.  Almost certainly the best 80 mins of Rugby I've seen in my 40 odd years of watching the game.

Don't think I've ever cheered so loudly for a team that wasn't Fev, Mrs Shep thought I was having a heart attack at one point. 

Obviously I'd have been happier with a Kiwi win (who wouldn't?) But what an advert for our game.  Absolutely blown away.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

All depends on if you want to be angry with the ref or not.

If you want to, you will find a hundred things the Kangaroos could have been pinged for as it was an intense, super fast game and the nature of the sport is that a lot of stuff at the ruck could technically be penalised if the ref wanted to.

And if you look at it objectively, there is plenty of stuff the Kiwis could have been pinged for as well.

But what it was, was a superb game of Rugby where the ref let the players get on with it and it wad a better spectacle than if he had blown 20 penalties. 

The only howler Klein made was not punishing the blatant shoulder charge.  Should have been a yellow and a Kiwi penalty.  Otherwise, it was a masterclass in letting a game flow.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

I am really surprised by the number of people saying it was the best RL game they have ever seen. Surely that is an example of recency bias. 

It was a very good game, I enjoyed most of it. The result was very disappointing though.

I will decide 6.00pm next Saturday if it was a disappointing result or not.

If England win today and get to the World Cup Final and if we win the final against Australia then it will have been a superb result yesterday.

(of course one big if and one huge if)

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

I am really surprised by the number of people saying it was the best RL game they have ever seen. Surely that is an example of recency bias. 

It was a very good game, I enjoyed most of it. The result was very disappointing though.

I think it was a great game because no team gave each other an inch. Both pushed each other. 

if you look at the stats of both teams they were almost identical very rarely do you get a game so close in all stats. It showed that both teams were very even creating a great spectacle 

1 hour ago, glossop saint said:

I thought that the Holmes try shouldn't have been given but was marginal. The offside was the correct call. For me it was the fact that the vast majority of decisions erred on the side of Australia. Shoulder charges, 'fights', set resets, slow play the balls. NZ did get a couple of dodgy knock on/strips in their favour. I am definitely in a minority and accept that I am probably wrong but I don't think Klein had a good game.

It also doesn't help that it was an Australian ref giving Australia those marginal calls. Somewhere where the game really doesn't help itself.

It was a great game, and the ref did well in my opinion on the whole.

But it does go to show how hard it is to beat Australia when they don't get penalised for anything. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

Best Post in the past 6 minutes 

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think that's always the tough thing about when a ref allows a lot to go. When they do pull stuff it stands out and can be challenged. 

FWIW I thought the try decision was right, but I thought the Kiwis didn't get the rub of the green. I thought they could have had a couple more penalties, there was a shoulder, a flop, followed by a knee into the ribs, and I thought the PTB penalty was Klein being played. On another day a couple of those decisions go in the Kiwis favour and it affects the game hugely in such a battle of attrition. 

I do think it is a challenge of letting stuff go that other times would be pulled. 

But that's sport, it was a cracking game, and I thought the Kiwis still had enoug in them to win. Stupidity like being offside at a kick and panic kicking by the halves cost them dearly. 

Yep even when the ref seems to do well, the Kangaroos still never get penalised. You've literally got to play the perfect game to beat them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

Foot to the throat for at least a decade. Maybe more.

Remember Darren Lockyer destroying us in the last five minutes of each test in a three game series?

They have nobody close to the quality of Lockyer in this squad. 

This Aussie squad is the worst I have seen in 25 years of watching RL. They have alot of errors in this team that they just never had in years gone by. 

I think its 50:50 if Eng get through to the final.