1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/22 at 20:00

It was one the most enjoyable games of the year for me.  Super tough but no niggle, just hard tackles on night and an England team that kept running.

The game absolutely flew by which is a good sign.

• Like 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I know this is a RL forum and people will analyse it from a more nerdy point of view, for sure. I think though, that this was one of those games that can draw people into the sport without really knowing what is going on. All you saw was a bloody good match, lots of running and stepping, some great passing (and the odd catch too 😜 ) and I'm sure many women watching for the first time would have many preconceptions about RL blown away. 

So yeah , analyse from a RL fan point of view but don't forget, that's a fans pov. Newcomers will just possibly have thought "this is brilliant". Which it was. 

Edited by The Masked Poster
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Just Browny said:

It was an enjoyable game. PNG had the better of England physically in the first ten minutes, but England had the fitness and the patience to get the job done, and once Whitfield was on they had a big weapon of their own. I also thought it made a difference that PNG didn't have a long kicking game to clear their lines.

I think your point about the PNG kicking game is very key.

Once they tired they couldn't make yardage and having no long kicker meant it was just wave after wave of pressure. It also meant there was no problem if England didn't score or made a mistake. They knew if they tackled they would receive the ball just over half way, which leads to your point about patience.

It showed the importance of having a strong place kicker. 

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

It looked to me that the English girls were shell shocked by the PNG physicality in the first 10 minutes or so, but they ramped up their own ferocity, eventually surpassing the PNG girls and in the end, bullied them.

I was disappointed (particularly with the English stand off) that so many, less than optimal choices, were made when it came to deciding whether to pass or run into a tackle. I felt the English right winger was particularly hard done-by but eventually got a scoring pass. Other posters have criticised some of the English players ''greed''.

There were some great individual runs through the defense, either by the front rowers crashing through tackles or the backs weaving through the PNG broken field defenses. Having said that, I can't recall many of them having close support (giving them the option of passing) but also, on the occasions that support runners were available, the ball carriers, either ran away from them, or just didn't look for support, with the intention of passing the ball and maximising their results.

I'd estimate that at least another 4 or 5 tries could have been scored (by the English) with more astute decision making.

To sum up, it was a very entertaining match, which was extremely physical (and would have been a revelation to newcomers to the sport). The English girls rose to the challenge admirably and stuck to it, right to the end. Great for the girls, great for the spectators, great for the tournament, great for the game at home and regarding next weeks game, still plenty of improvement available to them by focusing on better decision making and better support play  in training, this week. 

I hope they can pull it off and get to the final. It feels wonderful to have so much to cheer about. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I thought Dodd in particular had a good game.  One thing that dis occur to me is that Hardcastle used to stand out in the women's game, but (absolutely no disrespect to her) the others have caught her up.  Before the world cup I was probably quite disparaging about Women's RL in comparison to women's RU, but I can;t believe the progress that's been made.

For me, the game was good enough for me to forget the gender of the players, it was just a damned good game of RL.  And since I'm a dinosaur, it certainly impressed.

• Like 2

Just finished watching the game. Very entertaining, big collisions and great tries. 

PNG will improve in the future.

After a slow start, England proved their worth and it was a well deserved win. From the tv, it looked like a great atmosphere at the stadium.

As a fan of women's sports in general (football, basketball and ru), I appreciate what women's rl is doing and the exposure it's getting.

Back on the tournament, I think NZ and the Jillaroos have too much for this England side. But we can hope.

• Like 5

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

7 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

I know this is a RL forum and people will analyse it from a more nerdy point of view, for sure. I think though, that this was one of those games that can draw people into the sport without really knowing what is going on. All you saw was a bloody good match, lots of running and stepping, some great passing (and the odd catch too 😜 ) and I'm sure many women watching for the first time would have many preconceptions about RL blown away. 

So yeah , analyse from a RL fan point of view but don't forget, that's a fans pov. Newcomers will just possibly have thought "this is brilliant". Which it was. 

Absolutely this.  I've got a work colleague who has seen lots of women's yawnion because her daughter used to play for Saracens, but hasn't seen women's league before.  She was raving about last nights game, not just to me but to pretty much everyone in the staff room at lunchtime.

Another interesting point (to me anyway) is that she, and a couple of other female colleagues haven't mentioned the men's tournament - I don't know whether they've even seen any of the games - but have definitely been watching the women's and wheelchair games and enjoying them very much.

Analysing from a RL fan viewpoint (and from a grand total of watching her in two games in that position) - Tara Stanley, woman of steel though she is, is never a centre in a million years.  IMO it would be better if she switched position with Caitlin Beevers and played on the wing.

• Like 1

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Maybe I've already said this, but what I'm enjoying about the BBC coverage of the Women's World Cup and WWC is that they don't spend all the time saying "how the womens game is important", but just do the commentary about the game. They're expert in this field and even when they're not, you can see they've been studying. 

• Like 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

2 hours ago, latchford albion said:

Analysing from a RL fan viewpoint (and from a grand total of watching her in two games in that position) - Tara Stanley, woman of steel though she is, is never a centre in a million years.  IMO it would be better if she switched position with Caitlin Beevers and played on the wing.

No - TJS to Full Back, Beevers Centre, Goldthorp to Wing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

No - TJS to Full Back, Beevers Centre, Goldthorp to Wing.

Yes, I agree with that, but Fran Goldthorp seems to be Craig Richards's first choice at full back.

• Like 1

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque