2023 Summer Bash is going to be...

Just now, Gav Wilson said:

There's every chance, considering OurLeague have already shown a few Championship games this year.

I hope so.

The only difference I can see (and I could be wrong) is that ViaPlay have the rights to one championship match a week plus all of the bash fixtures. OurLeague showing regular round matches doesn't stop ViaPlay's one a week (even if they aren't actually showing one every week) whereas showing a bash match or two would be showing something that ViaPlay have the rights to.

It may be the ViaPlay aren't worried about it. They seem a lot less interested than Premier Sports did.

3 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

It may be the ViaPlay aren't worried about it. They seem a lot less interested than Premier Sports did.

Is it getting them the number of subscribers and viewers they want for the expense of the coverage? We don't get weekly updates as we do telling us how great the numbers are when we're on Channel 4!

49 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

There's every chance, considering OurLeague have already shown a few Championship games this year.

Have they? Must have missed them. I know they showed Hull v Salford but didn't realise they had showed Championship games. I would have paid the fiver to get them

24 minutes ago, OnStrike said:

Have they? Must have missed them. I know they showed Hull v Salford but didn't realise they had showed Championship games. I would have paid the fiver to get them

Barra v Toulouse in Rd1 and York v Barra in Rd4? were two, there might have been a few more too but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

I hope so.

The only difference I can see (and I could be wrong) is that ViaPlay have the rights to one championship match a week plus all of the bash fixtures. OurLeague showing regular round matches doesn't stop ViaPlay's one a week (even if they aren't actually showing one every week) whereas showing a bash match or two would be showing something that ViaPlay have the rights to.

Ther'e still after our money though.

On 28/04/2023 at 13:09, Ragingbull said:

.....the worst attended bash evet to date. 

Not many tickets left to be honest. I bought two yesterday and a lot of the stadium is sold out. Not a very big stadium though, but if it can be almost full for some games it would be good.

Edited by kiggy
Fat finger typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kiggy said:

Not many tickets left to be honest. I bought two yesterday and a lot of the stadium is sold out. Not a very big stadium though, but if it can be almost full for some games it would be good.

There'll be no more than 2,500 in it except when York are playing 

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Just shows that the people of York don't want SL.....

Stupid comment, out of interest where should this years Summer Bash have been held in your opinion? Bearing in mind Blackpool wasn’t available and no other venue put up their hands to host it apparently, perhaps it should have been cancelled altogether or maybe the RFL should have promoted it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As we all know I don’t like the concept of one extra round particularly at the home of one of the teams playing. But to put the blame on York for it not been well organised or attended is not fair. It’s the rfls baby not yorks

• Like 2

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Calm down boys and girls, it was very much tongue in cheek.😆

Regards the event itself in my opinion it has been a total farce. The concept is dated and the RFL is so lazy at even bothering to promote it that its no wonder that fans don't turn up. As for where I would hold it, again only my opinion, but not a chance it should be at the home of one of the competitors and also games should be chosen a week or so before the event to ensure that it is a level playing field or at least give a chance of that as we may have actually got some floating fans to attend.

That sort of format we would have had the following fixtures:-
Fev V Sheffield
Toulouse V Fax
Batley V Widnes
Bradford V York
Keighley V London
Haven V Swinton
Barrow V Newcastle

Each game in that should in theory at least be competitive and does not give a difinitive advantage to anyone like this years fixtures and previous years have.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Regards the event itself in my opinion it has been a total farce. The concept is dated and the RFL is so lazy at even bothering to promote it that its no wonder that fans don't turn up. As for where I would hold it, again only my opinion, but not a chance it should be at the home of one of the competitors and also games should be chosen a week or so before the event to ensure that it is a level playing field or at least give a chance of that as we may have actually got some floating fans to attend.

Fev V Sheffield
Toulouse V Fax
Batley V Widnes
Bradford V York
Keighley V London
Haven V Swinton
Barrow V Newcastle

Each game in that should in theory at least be competitive and does not give a difinitive advantage to anyone like this years fixtures and previous years have.

You can't make a draw the week before, otherwise those only wanting to attend a day will have no time to plan and won't go.

The advantage of York is they probably paid next to nothing to use the venue - I would think Blackpool charge a decent amount.

12 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fev V Sheffield
Toulouse V Fax
Batley V Widnes
Bradford V York
Keighley V London
Haven V Swinton
Barrow V Newcastle

Why bother at all. How many new fans used to go when in Blackpool 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

29 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Why bother at all. How many new fans used to go when in Blackpool 

The Blackpool ones always felt like they were well attended but Fax always ended up playing well supported teams apart from one year we played Toulouse so from our point of view it would be hard to say. But yeah I agree the RFL should scrap it at this point unless they are willing to get properly behind it.

32 minutes ago, Leonard said:

You can't make a draw the week before, otherwise those only wanting to attend a day will have no time to plan and won't go.

Honeslty I don't think it would make that much difference, I mean how many people go for the weekend anyway and as long as the venue is announced in plenty of time i'm not sure it would make that much difference. 

2 hours ago, spanishknight said:

What a stupid comment, just because you got hammered by Batley.

fax get battered everywhere they go , fax get       ,   

sorry couldn,t resist 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Expatknight said:

Stupid comment, out of interest where should this years Summer Bash have been held in your opinion? Bearing in mind Blackpool wasn’t available and no other venue put up their hands to host it apparently, perhaps it should have been cancelled altogether or maybe the RFL should have promoted it. 

Blackpool FC dont want the Summer Bash at there ground, for the foreseeable future... 

The RFL and clubs are guilty of not promoting the weekend, and who thought of hosting it at the same time as the end of the football season, and a bank holiday weekend, which meant accommodation prices in York where extortionate to start with.. 

Somewhere like the Keepmoat in Donny would be a good place to host it, but other than that it needs killing off... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

The advantage of York is they probably paid next to nothing to use the venue - I would think Blackpool charge a decent amount.

Why do you think hiring the LNER stadium would cost 'next to nothing'?

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

25 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Why do you think hiring the LNER stadium would cost 'next to nothing'?

York City FC pay about £140k p.a. in rent. So you can make a reasonable assumption, Plus it is council owned - who will also get the benefit of visitors into town and York is an existing tenant and was involved in 2 out of the 8 games.

Blackpool is, I believe, owned by the club. Being far bigger and only interested in maximising income, it is reasonable they would charge a lot more.

It's the same reason they played England v France at an existing RL stadium.

All imho.

Edited by Leonard