MKM Stadium

During the NZ game last week, Vossy mentioned about the pitch being short.............this was the first time I was aware that they had a short pitch at MKM. Given it was a purpose built facility, with Hull FC as one of the key tenants, why did they not accommodate a standard sized rugby pitch?

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

During the NZ game last week, Vossy mentioned about the pitch being short.............this was the first time I was aware that they had a short pitch at MKM. Given it was a purpose built facility, with Hull FC as one of the key tenants, why did they not accommodate a standard sized rugby pitch?

It was originally a full 100m rugby pitch and was designed as such with a view to staging international matches. The pitch was shortened some time back but I can't remember which anti-RL shysters (Duffen or the Allams) were in charge of the SMC at the time. 

• Thanks 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

35 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Yes I saw the short 30-40 metre lines but like you this was the first time I’d noticed it.

10 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Was it to comply with the 3m perimeter run-off requirements maybe? When were they initially brought in?

I don't recall any reason ever being made public.

One season our seats were on the 20m line, the next year they were about 16m from the goal line and it wasn't the seats that had moved.

• Haha 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

17 hours ago, DoubleD said:

The real reason is most likely laziness, incompetence or something similar combined with the poor cousin mentality of having to make do which seems to afflict the game in Britain.  Whatever the reason, stadium management needs to be told that it's not good enough and they need to go back to laying out the field of play correctly.

19 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It was originally. Changing it was part of the Allam games. They astroturfed round the edge of the football pitch. This means for the rugby pitch the in goal areas have to be taken off the 100m so its short. Due to be dug up in June again so not sure it the new owner (Acun IIlicali) would reconsider. The stadium roof covers the edge of the pitch so I would think this would be part of the reason for doing it as the grass didn't grow.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CRZ said:

It was originally. Changing it was part of the Allam games. They astroturfed round the edge of the football pitch. This means for the rugby pitch the in goal areas have to be taken off the 100m so its short. Due to be dug up in June again so not sure it the new owner (Acun IIlicali) would reconsider. The stadium roof covers the edge of the pitch so I would think this would be part of the reason for doing it as the grass didn't grow.

Hull City Council own the stadium not Illicali.

2 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I’m not sure if he owns it as such but it always seems to be the default setting that the owner of the football club automatically takes control of the SMC. Why it’s not independently run I have no idea.

I think Mr Pearson was something to do with the original arrangement for that changing.

• Like 1