FIFA WORLD CUP 2022

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Thought the tournament deserved its own thread . So to start , our squad has been announced 

BA36B3AD-3E5E-4CA9-B43E-3A74916BFDAD.jpeg.20ab7a5d97b3d119a4ce1e9396da1d46.jpeg

A very good team. But maybe it lacks something to be a World Cup winner. 
2020 Euros were the perfect occasion to win imho. 

Edited by MatthewWoody

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

If anyone wants to talk about the political aspects there is another Qatar World Cup thread 🧵 in the politics section to do so.

It’s been there a while.

Stops this one getting reported and locked when controversy arises.

Edit: this is no attempt to gloss over the controversy as I’ve had a good say on how I feel on the other thread.  Just might make things more manageable for the mods.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Thanks 1

England seem to be capable of delivering a sound performance, with the occasional really good game. But the background murmurings I keep hearing from fans about the current coaching regime is that it all feels a bit safe and staid, and they aren't confident the team can hit the necessary next level.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

You're showing your age! 

He's referring to the current England manager, to be fair.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

You probably have to go back to Italia 90 to find a World Cup that has so under-enthused people in the run up.

Aside for the Welsh. They seem happy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

You probably have to go back to Italia 90 to find a World Cup that has so under-enthused people in the run up.

Aside for the Welsh. They seem happy.

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

It seems so weird to be talking about a World Cup coming up in November.

Indeed . I’ve barely thought of it until yesterday when my interest was raised by the squad announcement, which i must say i think looks pretty good . And very few people i know seem to have been talking about it . Usually the excitement builds over weeks and weeks as the season ends , then the anticipation of going into camp and waiting for the tournament . And its early summer so its feel good . Here , unbelievably , we play at the weekend in the league … fly off to Qatar and play less than a week later . Come home and start playing again . Odd doesnt even cover it . 

• Like 1

I have less interest in this world cup than all of those that have gone before for numerous reasons but principly i) it is in Qatar and ii) it's in November.

The Heroes of '66 are safe in their uniqueness for another 4 years - England will be lucky to make the quarter finals.

3 hours ago, hw88 said:

I have less interest in this world cup than all of those that have gone before for numerous reasons but principly i) it is in Qatar and ii) it's in November.

The Heroes of '66 are safe in their uniqueness for another 4 years - England will be lucky to make the quarter finals.

It ain’t all over until the opening kick off.

There is talent in England to go far.

Player selection, tactics and ability to adapt during a match all critical.  I see limitations in those three points, going in a descending line, the last one ground zero. 

Anything can happen if England can get the first two right for a match. If they need point three then it's game over. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

What's everyone's first World cup memory, mine is from 1978 and although I'm English, I believed the hype ( Ally MacLeod's hype) that Scotland would win the World cup , I can remember sitting down as a 9 year old to watch Scotland v Peru and thinking, Wow, these Peruvian's look good, although I haven't seen the game since, I seem to remember it could have finished 6 - 6. Other memories from 78 included the iconic BBC theme, Scotland v Netherlands and the ticker tape final

13 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

What's everyone's first World cup memory, mine is from 1978 and although I'm English, I believed the hype ( Ally MacLeod's hype) that Scotland would win the World cup , I can remember sitting down as a 9 year old to watch Scotland v Peru and thinking, Wow, these Peruvian's look good, although I haven't seen the game since, I seem to remember it could have finished 6 - 6. Other memories from 78 included the iconic BBC theme, Scotland v Netherlands and the ticker tape final

1982 . Coming home from school and seeing Robson score immediately against France . I think we drew with Germany and Keegan missed a sitter to beat Spain , and we went out without losing and playing quite well . Never forget Italy v Brazil and Tardelli’s celebration in the final . Very good World Cup . 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DavidM said:

1982 . Coming home from school and seeing Robson score immediately against France . I think we drew with Germany and Keegan missed a sitter to beat Spain , and we went out without losing and playing quite well . Never forget Italy v Brazil and Tardelli’s celebration in the final . Very good World Cup . 

Although 1978 was my earliest memory, 1982 is my first proper World cup, I didn't miss a single minute of any game. I too ran home for school to watch England beat France 3 - 1 and apart from a 20 minute spell, England were worthy winners against a quality France team, as far as England were concerned, I thought this is how every future World cup would be. It makes you wonder what difference a fully fit Keegan and Brooking would have made.

Loosely watched the 1982 World Cup final and had been taken to a few league matches as a kid.

Couldn't really concentrate on any of it though.

1984 European Championship I was much more aware, but it was Mexico 86 really where I could properly evaluate the strengths of the teams.

We had a family holiday in Florida at the time (trailblazers haha) so watched the latter half of the tournament on the Spanish language channels.

Think it’s all been said before about Maradona, but I actually thought Belgium vs USSR was the best match of the tournament finishing 4-3

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Loosely watched the 1982 World Cup final and had been taken to a few league matches as a kid.

Couldn't really concentrate on any of it though.

1984 European Championship I was much more aware, but it was Mexico 86 really where I could properly evaluate the strengths of the teams.

We had a family holiday in Florida at the time (trailblazers haha) so watched the latter half of the tournament on the Spanish language channels.

Think it’s all been said before about Maradona, but I actually thought Belgium vs USSR was the best match of the tournament finishing 4-3

1986 was the first World cup I watched while drinking alcohol (illegally of course 🤣) but you're right about the Belgium v USSR match though, weren't there some fantastic finishes from the Soviets, not just in this game but throughout the tournament, they looked like real contenders until they came unstuck against Belgium. How good were Denmark in the group games, beating Germany and Scotland then dismantling Uruguay, they looked in complete control in the 2nd round against Spain after taking an early lead, then Jesper Olsen gave a stray pass across his penalty area, straight to a Spanish Striker (can't remember his name but I think he scored 4 goals in this game), after this they capitulated.