FIFA WORLD CUP 2022

Just now, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

1986 was the first World cup I watched while drinking alcohol (illegally of course 🤣) but you're right about the Belgium v USSR match though, weren't there some fantastic finishes from the Soviets, not just in this game but throughout the tournament, they looked like real contenders until they came unstuck against Belgium. How good were Denmark in the group games, beating Germany and Scotland then dismantling Uruguay, they looked in complete control in the 2nd round against Spain after taking an early lead, then Jesper Olsen gave a stray pass across his penalty area, straight to a Spanish Striker (can't remember his name but I think he scored 4 goals in this game), after this they capitulated.

Yes, that’s spot on about Denmark!

Wow, just thought about my first WC memory and it's come flooding back. In the house of a friend of my parents,  1970, I was 10 and my Dad and me joined John, the man of the house in the small back room downstairs to see West Germany and Gerd Muller dump England out 3-2 after extra time. I also remember the Brazil winning team being the greatest team ever, to this day they have no comparison...Pele, Jairzinho,  Tostao, Revilinho etc. 

On 13/11/2022 at 18:50, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

What's everyone's first World cup memory, mine is from 1978 and although I'm English, I believed the hype ( Ally MacLeod's hype) that Scotland would win the World cup , I can remember sitting down as a 9 year old to watch Scotland v Peru and thinking, Wow, these Peruvian's look good, although I haven't seen the game since, I seem to remember it could have finished 6 - 6. Other memories from 78 included the iconic BBC theme, Scotland v Netherlands and the ticker tape final

Watched a documentary on that a few weeks ago on BBC Scotland it was brilliant , Ally really talked them up , but the best bit of the programme was an interview with Ally . When asked about whether he had studied the opposirion for the group stage he said " No , i have just spent my time tuning up my boys to perfection"....absolute class .

On 13/11/2022 at 18:50, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

What's everyone's first World cup memory, mine is from 1978 and although I'm English, I believed the hype ( Ally MacLeod's hype) that Scotland would win the World cup , I can remember sitting down as a 9 year old to watch Scotland v Peru and thinking, Wow, these Peruvian's look good, although I haven't seen the game since, I seem to remember it could have finished 6 - 6. Other memories from 78 included the iconic BBC theme, Scotland v Netherlands and the ticker tape final

1966 - it's been downhill ever since.🙄

On 13/11/2022 at 19:07, DavidM said:

1982 . Coming home from school and seeing Robson score immediately against France . I think we drew with Germany and Keegan missed a sitter to beat Spain , and we went out without losing and playing quite well . Never forget Italy v Brazil and Tardelli’s celebration in the final . Very good World Cup . 

I actually cried when Brazil got beat - they played football the way we imagine Brazilians play football, but very rarely do. Just watching the goals they scored on Youtube brings back great memories.

Tardelli's celebration showed pure wild elation.

On 10/11/2022 at 18:00, Gerrumonside ref said:

From a purely football perspective and looking at the draw, I will be satisfied enough if we make the quarter finals before bowing out.

From there the glory of pizza adverts awaits the inglorious penalty takers.

For me there are big questions about the defensive solidity of this England team.

I don't feel apprehensive like i usually might, I feel like we've been spoiled the last two tournaments and it simply can't continue.

I'll be happy enough if we make the knockout stages, just so long as we don't lose on penalties.

• Like 1

My earliest WC memory is pretty boring unlike everyone else's. I can remember England drawing 1-1 with ROI in 1990. I remember a fair bit of the England games in that tournament.

1998 was when it mattered the most and felt like life and death, and my dad let me have a day off after we lost to Argentina 😅.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can remember the 1982 World Cup happening but really nothing about it all.

Euro 1984 completely passed me by despite me being old enough and following a lot of football at the time.

So ... Mexico '86.

Had the sticker album and watched pretty much every game that was in the right time zone. Was more devastated by that magnificent Denmark team being knocked out than by England going out.

My only real observation looking back is: how bad must English goalkeeping have been in the 1980s that that lump Shilton can get outjumped by a midget in 1986 and yet still be there in 1990 to be out of position time and again?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Mexico 86. Maradona handball and genius. Collecting my Panini stickers and sniggering at the Korean players names, especially the one with Bum in it. This was in the 1980's though, so before racism was bad.

England starting the tournament badly and then improving. Wilkins being sent off. Lineker scoring. Best WC final. ITV's amazing theme tune Aztec Gold (later used by Saint and Greavsie and my current ringtone).

12 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Watched a documentary on that a few weeks ago on BBC Scotland it was brilliant , Ally really talked them up , but the best bit of the programme was an interview with Ally . When asked about whether he had studied the opposirion for the group stage he said " No , i have just spent my time tuning up my boys to perfection"....absolute class .

I watched something similar a couple of years back, the Scottish keeper(think it was Alan Rough) asked MacLeod if there were any Peru players who were dangerous with a free kick from outside the area , "no one to worry about" he was told.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

My earliest WC memory is pretty boring unlike everyone else's. I can remember England drawing 1-1 with ROI in 1990. I remember a fair bit of the England games in that tournament.

1998 was when it mattered the most and felt like life and death, and my dad let me have a day off after we lost to Argentina 😅.

It's no wonder your first WC memory was boring, that England v ROI game was dire, but not as bad as Lineker's pants when he soiled himself during the game 🤣

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I can remember the 1982 World Cup happening but really nothing about it all.

Euro 1984 completely passed me by despite me being old enough and following a lot of football at the time.

So ... Mexico '86.

Had the sticker album and watched pretty much every game that was in the right time zone. Was more devastated by that magnificent Denmark team being knocked out than by England going out.

My only real observation looking back is: how bad must English goalkeeping have been in the 1980s that that lump Shilton can get outjumped by a midget in 1986 and yet still be there in 1990 to be out of position time and again?

Watching that Maradona first goal go in, my first reaction was anger that it had been allowed, moments later, I, like you, found myself asking, how can any goalkeeper be out jumped by a 5' tall player, whether he used his hands or not, you're spot on about that 1990 semi-final goal as well, as penalties approached, I was hoping they would sub Shilton for Chris Woods, although I don't think we had any subs left. Shilton was also to blame for the Poland goal that knocked us out in qualifying for the 1973 WC, although Norman Hunter seems to take most of the blame.

31 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Mexico 86. Maradona handball and genius. Collecting my Panini stickers and sniggering at the Korean players names, especially the one with Bum in it. This was in the 1980's though, so before racism was bad.

England starting the tournament badly and then improving. Wilkins being sent off. Lineker scoring. Best WC final. ITV's amazing theme tune Aztec Gold (later used by Saint and Greavsie and my current ringtone).

Wilkins getting sent off and Bryan Robson getting injured seemed to turn England's fortunes, we were forced into changing formation and seemed more fluid rather than the rigid 4 4 2 .

I've been off soccerball for years but my little ones play it and are getting increasingly interested in watching it 

Hence I want to enjoy it with them so.......this will be the first tournament since I was a student in 96 where I'll actually watch and follow the games properly 

It's better not be sh***

Will be interesting to see if winning or losing affects me now I'm paying attention....previously I wouldn't care even when we were in that final a couple of years back 

My first WC memory is the 1970 one and I have to agree with the poster who said that Brazil team were the best ever - to this day. I remember the final was 4-1 to Brazil and it made the keeper look a bit rubbish (Dino Zoff) but he was actually a decent keeper, it was just that they were so good. Let's not forget that save by Gordon Banks though and that tackle by Bobby Moore. And what a fantastic England kit - simplicity is always best. 

My personal favourite though is 1974, which England weren't even in (courtesy of 'that clown' Jan Tomaceski sp?)

This was largely due to Johan Cruyff and the Holland team, who had us out in the street trying to replicate moves but I loved the whole thing.

I remember Zaire playing Brazil (which may have been the opening game) and basically kicking lumps out of them. And how Holland were meant to walk the final against West Germany.....but didn't. Allegedly, a bit of partying was to blame. 

I watched all subsequent ones keenly up to 1986 but after that, lost interest and only watch as a casual observer nowadays. 

Great thread, and some great memories. 

4 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

My first WC memory is the 1970 one and I have to agree with the poster who said that Brazil team were the best ever - to this day. I remember the final was 4-1 to Brazil and it made the keeper look a bit rubbish (Dino Zoff) but he was actually a decent keeper, it was just that they were so good. Let's not forget that save by Gordon Banks though and that tackle by Bobby Moore. And what a fantastic England kit - simplicity is always best. 

My personal favourite though is 1974, which England weren't even in (courtesy of 'that clown' Jan Tomaceski sp?)

This was largely due to Johan Cruyff and the Holland team, who had us out in the street trying to replicate moves but I loved the whole thing.

I remember Zaire playing Brazil (which may have been the opening game) and basically kicking lumps out of them. And how Holland were meant to walk the final against West Germany.....but didn't. Allegedly, a bit of partying was to blame. 

I watched all subsequent ones keenly up to 1986 but after that, lost interest and only watch as a casual observer nowadays. 

Great thread, and some great memories. 

That was the game where the Zaire defender ran out of the wall and kicked the ball for a Brasil free kick.

I remember Jairzinho from 1970 playing with an afro in 1974 and looking a completely different player in appearance and ability.

I remember the East v West Germany game. I was never sure if West Germany lost deliberately as they would have faced Brasil, Holland and Yugoslavia? 

As you say Holland were wonderful. I always wondered how Germany beat them. However, Germany had beaten England 3-1 at Wembley in 1972 when Netzer starred, and were a good team themselves.

I enjoyed Argentina 1978 especially, the ticker tape and players such as Kempes. 

Edited by Niels
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Niels said:

That was the game where the Zaire defender ran out of the wall and kicked the ball for a Brasil free kick.

I remember Jairzinho from 1970 playing with an afro in 1974 and looking a completely different player in appearance and ability.

I remember the East v West Germany game. I was never sure if West Germany lost deliberately as they would have faced Brasil, Holland and Yugoslavia? 

As you say Holland were wonderful. I always wondered how Germany beat them. However, Germany had beaten England 3-1 at Wembley in 1972 when Netzer starred, and were a good team themselves.

I enjoyed Argentina 1978 especially, the ticker tape and players such as Kempes. 

As I alluded, the story that emerged later was that some of the Dutch squad (no names!) were out partying with a few Miss Worlds at the time and subsequently weren't 100% at the races. Maybe a case of believing their own publicity? Either way, Beckenbaur et al had different ideas. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Niels said:

I was 16 in 1974 and my first time abroad in the Austrian tyrol staying in the only hotel in the village with a colour Tv.  Every German tourist invaded the hotel for the east v west game.  They almost ransacked the place after losing to their neighbours.

I quite enjoyed it!  (As did my ex eighth army veteran father).

• Like 1

The odd thing about that East v West Germany match is the narrative that it was the one game they played.

WSC ran an article a few years back listing the number of occasions on which they met.

Not loads but fairly regularly.

But when the fact becomes legend ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Watching Sky's Italia '90 documentary is slightly getting me in the mood.

It's also tinged with more than a bit of sadness in that it is wrapped up in the context of Italy. Qatar will not and cannot come close to replicating that.

I'm hoping that when the football starts, it will do the talking. The first game is hardly inspiring though...