FIFA WORLD CUP 2022

22 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Tim Cahill, who is some kind legacy ambassador for Qatar has predicted that England will be knocked out in the 2nd round by.......................................Qatar, who will finish runners up to Senegal and above The Netherlands, in their group.

Cafu and Eto, who are also legacy ambassadors, have made the same predictions.

For an opening game I thought it was okay.  Ecuador looked decent though they weren't up against much. They have some skilful players and if England meet them in last 16 it certainly isn't nailed on we'd beat them. Valencia's headed goal was class.

My first WC memory was back in 1950 when Brazil won it. First final after WW2 and I was 12 years old.

I won a ticket for the 1966 final and but in early March swapped it for an FA cup final ticket at Wembley. I had applied to migrate to South Africa and was advised my ship passage was booked a few days before the WC final was played. I subsequently listened to a commentary of the the match on a scratchy ship's radio broadcast which faded in and out throughout the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hw88 said:

That disallowed VAR goal should have stood. Nothing wrong with it.

Clearly FIFA want Qatar to progress.

2 or 3 passes before the one that was scored off, a player had a toe offside and that was what it was pulled up for. Something to do with it all being part of the same play. Absolute rubbish of course, just had to find a way to scrub it off. 

50 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

2 or 3 passes before the one that was scored off, a player had a toe offside and that was what it was pulled up for. Something to do with it all being part of the same play. Absolute rubbish of course, just had to find a way to scrub it off. 

When younger I did some schools refereeing,  if I was in the VAR hub I'd disallow it too.

The offside player started the move that led to the overhead kick and then the header. It was offside,  simples, before VAR it would have stood, but this is now. FIFA always want the hosts to do well as it keeps the locals turning up, but Qatar is so small I don't think it matters this time if Qatar go out early. It's like the RLWC being exclusively in PNG, enthusiastic locals but not enough to make or break the tournament. 

Edited by HawkMan

8 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

When younger I did some schools refereeing,  if I was in the VAR hub I'd disallow it too.

The offside player started the move that led to the overhead kick and then the header. It was offside,  simples, before VAR it would have stood, but this is now. FIFA always want the hosts to do well as it keeps the locals turning up, but Qatar is so small I don't think it matters this time if Qatar go out early. It's like the RLWC being exclusively in PNG, enthusiastic locals but not enough to make or break the tournament. 

Unfortunately the locals sodded off at half time. 

That shows how much RLs concussion protocols have come on over the last few years when in the biggest sport in the world a player can decide himself to stay on when he doesn't even know where he is and the doctors don't insist he goes off, only for the player to signal himself a minute later that he can't continue. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

How in 2022 can footy not stop the clock like rugby so we all know when we hit full time it’s full time 

I think we've had this conversation before,  they do stop the clock, the clock being on the ref's wrist. He decides the stoppages, he just doesn't have to tell anyone else in the stand. Showing faith in the ref's honesty. 

21 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I think we've had this conversation before,  they do stop the clock, the clock being on the ref's wrist. He decides the stoppages, he just doesn't have to tell anyone else in the stand. Showing faith in the ref's honesty. 

Ok pal . You know it all 

Edited by DavidM

1 minute ago, Niels said:

Interestingly England scored from 6 of their 7 shots on target, which suggests the injury to the Iranian keeper was the turning point.

I can see why the manager was so keen to keep him on. 

I’m not sure it wasn’t just a really clinical attacking performance from England tbf.

I certainly didn’t see it coming.

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m not sure it wasn’t just a really clinical attacking performance from England tbf.

I certainly didn’t see it coming.

I understand your point but usually a keeper will save more than 1 of 7 shots on target?

Though of course sometimes every one Ederson faces seems to go in at Man City 🙂

Edited by Niels