FIFA WORLD CUP 2022

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Why couldn't our world cup have used the football world cup attendance calculator? 67,000 at the first game in a 60,000 stadium and 45,000 at the second in a 40,000 stadium. Can only assume they're counting stewards and police and food kiosk workers and toilet cleaners and what have you. 

Not the barmaids though 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I think we've had this conversation before,  they do stop the clock, the clock being on the ref's wrist. He decides the stoppages, he just doesn't have to tell anyone else in the stand. Showing faith in the ref's honesty. 

I'm sure it's been proven that stoppage time nowhere near makes up for missed time?

41 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've watched far too many dire England performances to not take anything but total joy out of a 6-goal scoring victory.

I'm thinking Trinidad, Algeria, Slovakia etc

Algeria, that was very embarassing. 

Was it the year that newspapers titled "Easy" after the world cup draw? 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

I haven't read through the thread so don't know if it has been mentioned but the unusual timing of this World Cup is a real advantage for England in my view.

The Cup normally being played in the summer means that the UK players are coming into it after a long season of really physical games with no break (I.e. a winter break).

You can tell they are physically and mentally spent and then they have to get up again for a huge competition. 

The end of November though is 14/15 games into the Premier League season and so absolutely perfect for players to be in form but fresh. 

I think it will make a difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Because there's nothing this forum likes more than an attendance figure conspiracy theory. Apart from a RU Calculatorâ„¢ joke.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Wales turn things around in the second half and grab a 1-1 draw.

I turned over to see Only Connect and missed it!

I was glad Kieffer Moore played second half, he has been a great signing for Bournemouth. Also Mepham played well.

Wales have the advantage of Iran next (and their reserve goalkeeper lol). USA play England and could be virtually out if they lose that. A draw will keep it in their own hands.

The order of games is very important I think.