FIFA WORLD CUP 2022

5 hours ago, Niels said:

I turned over to see Only Connect and missed it!

I was glad Kieffer Moore played second half, he has been a great signing for Bournemouth. Also Mepham played well.

Wales have the advantage of Iran next (and their reserve goalkeeper lol). USA play England and could be virtually out if they lose that. A draw will keep it in their own hands.

The order of games is very important I think. 

Only got two right on Only Connect this week, pretty disappointed with myself. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Niels said:

I turned over to see Only Connect and missed it!

I was glad Kieffer Moore played second half, he has been a great signing for Bournemouth. Also Mepham played well.

Wales have the advantage of Iran next (and their reserve goalkeeper lol). USA play England and could be virtually out if they lose that. A draw will keep it in their own hands.

The order of games is very important I think. 

A loss to England by the USA will unlikely mean they are virtually out. 

Not only would Wales have to beat Iran (not guaranteed), they would also not have to lose to England. 

There is a possible situation where England and Wales could know that a draw puts them both through, and this could complicate matters. However, I wouldn't be a big fan of this. One rogue shot by Wales and we could find ourselves finishing second.

• Like 1

Well……

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

On that form, Argentina will be struggling to qualify out of this group.

15 shots on goal to 3 for Argentina, with a couple of disallowed goals.

Not panic stations yet but they can't afford to slip up anymore.

5 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

15 shots on goal to 3 for Argentina, with a couple of disallowed goals.

Not panic stations yet but they can't afford to slip up anymore.

Mexico and Poland will be a step up from Saudi Arabia though.

In fact not topping the group could see them go through a very difficult route now.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

I must admit I wasn't looking forward to this morning's match, I thought it would be a non-event as far as a competitive match was concerned, but all credit to Saudi, they really got stuck into Argentina and it's thrown the group wide open. I definitely think Saudi Arabia can take something off of Poland.

After a terrific opener, Australia looked like a shambles conceding that second goal.

At least they're cr ap at summat.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Seen Argentina, seen France, just Brazil to come on Thursday night.

If you’re an England supporter you’d have to think that they've played the best football seen so far at the World Cup.

Early days of course, but I’m starting the ‘It’s coming home’ bus 🚌 

Any takers?  Jump on board now while there’s still seats.

Edit: yes, yes…I know it’s only day 3! Haha

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If you’re an England supporter you’d have to think that they've played the best football seen so far at the World Cup.

Remember England v Samoa? 

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Mexico and Poland will be a step up from Saudi Arabia though.

In fact not topping the group could see them go through a very difficult route now.

A good point about the draw. A lot of people were was recommending them based on having a fairly advantageous route to the semis. 

I still think they could win the group. I think the draw in the other game helps them. They play Mexico next who they have beaten 4 out of the last 5. Poland looked surprisingly negative. 

Of course they are relying on Saudi Arabia failing but as you say, they should be a step down from the others. Though they are always difficult to beat.

It's very difficult to predict. 

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If Argentina do finish second, then The Netherlands look most likely to benefit as Argentina are/were due to meet them in the QF. 

I had a quick look at my wallchart today🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Niels said:

A good point about the draw. A lot of people were was recommending them based on having a fairly advantageous route to the semis. 

I still think they could win the group. I think the draw in the other game helps them. They play Mexico next who they have beaten 4 out of the last 5. Poland looked surprisingly negative. 

Of course they are relying on Saudi Arabia failing but as you say, they should be a step down from the others. Though they are always difficult to beat.

It's very difficult to predict. 

It’s difficult to predict after one game with minimum preparation for most sides.

Its possible a team might warm their way into contention building gradually match by match before exploding in the knockouts.

All to play for now and at least the final group games should have something riding on it which is better for the neutral viewer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well this Germany game is like my last visit to the library. There's sod all people in there and you could hear a mouse fart.

It's very quiet yes. 

The South and central American fans seem most enthusiastic in numbers and atmosphere at the moment. This trend started at the last world cup in Russia and seems to have continued.

Saudi Arabia brought a lot of fans yesterday too.