FIFA WORLD CUP 2022

15 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

as soon as I saw the name Marcus Rashford - the telly got switched off- utter garbage!

Telly off? Does it only get BBC1?  1940's black and white perhaps. 

Edited by HawkMan

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

as soon as I saw the name Marcus Rashford - the telly got switched off- utter garbage!

Commentator - " Rashford running riot for England " Garbage eh?

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Fortunately I'd taped Only Connect so I watched that instead. (I think I said the same last week)🙂

The Only Connect Forum users used to get annoyed when it changed days to Tuesday for the rugby league world cup, and even more so when it was moved for the wheelchair  rugby.

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Of course England are red hot favourites to win the group tonight and play Senegal in the last 16.

The champions of Africa will be missing Idrissa Gueye (suspended) and of course their talismanic forward Sadio Mane (injured pre-tournament).

This half of the draw includes France, Portugal and potentially Croatia.

If things go wrong tonight, but not unthinkably wrong, and England finish as runners up, then we shift into the Netherlands, Brazil and potentially Argentina side of the draw.

I still see England as the least likely of the ‘strong’ nations, but I’m not sure which side of the draw I’d want to be in.

If England beat Senegal they could face France, Portugal and then Brasil, sides they historically struggle against in tournaments.

Though Portugal could face Germany in the QF who they struggle to beat due to their ariel strength and style of play. 

Spain would probably be better finishing second to Japan, so they avoid Brasil in the QF. Though would they risk Germany beating Costa Rica by 7? 

26 minutes ago, Niels said:

If England beat Senegal they could face France, Portugal and then Brasil, sides they historically struggle against in tournaments.

Though Portugal could face Germany in the QF who they struggle to beat due to their ariel strength and style of play. 

Spain would probably be better finishing second to Japan, so they avoid Brasil in the QF. Though would they risk Germany beating Costa Rica by 7? 

Not sure the historical record is too important.

Only really the relevant strengths of the teams in the here and now of 2022.

From my perspective, I think it’s quite an open tournament this time with no single dominant team.

I think Spain will still fancy their chances against Brazil if they can keep everyone fit.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

I asked one of my granddaughters to pick two of the teams from the World Cup who she thought would make the final. I told her if either won she could have a massive £10. She said “Oooooo £10” and chose Senegal 80/1 and Denmark 28/1 because she liked the kits.

The Senegal one is the best kit (in mine & my granddaughters eyes), i haven’t a clue why she chose the Danish kit though.
I’ve put £5 each way on both, i don’t know what happened to Denmark but i’ll be shouting for Senegal whenever they play next. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

From my perspective, I think it’s quite an open tournament this time with no single dominant team.

I think Spain will still fancy their chances against Brazil if they can keep everyone fit.

Yes that's a good point.

Eventually a historical record will be overcome especially if the losing team becomes significantly better than their opponents. 

I agree that it is very open. I have had each way bets on The Netherlands and Portugal as I think they have a fair draw and both are reasonably priced for my modest levels of betting. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josef K said:

I asked one of my granddaughters to pick two of the teams from the World Cup who she thought would make the final. I told her if either won she could have a massive £10. She said “Oooooo £10” and chose Senegal 80/1 and Denmark 28/1 because she liked the kits.

The Senegal one is the best kit (in mine & my granddaughters eyes), i haven’t a clue why she chose the Danish kit though.
I’ve put £5 each way on both, i don’t know what happened to Denmark but i’ll be shouting for Senegal whenever they play next. 

Denmark should beat Australia tomorrow. They are a better side I think and soccer is the only sport where Australia look very limited. 

Senegal play England on Sunday. They have a very good tournament record in Africa. Mane is a big miss but that's factored into the price. 

Good luck!

England did well last night. Everyone stepped up the level from the USA game, the new starting players really had a good go to stake a claim for a spot against Senegal, for all the "passion" it was men against boys and there could have been a few more goals for England. 

Tactically it showed that England produce their best chances when they win the ball back high up the field through an effective counter press early on. I think that will tell with Southgate going forward, particularly with who he plays in midfield and how he manages the energy levels in that part of the pitch.

I think GS will go with Saka on Sunday for the physical battle Senegal will bring. I'd start Rashford ahead of Sterling, but doubt GS would do the same. Foden, Henderson, Maddison, Phillips or Mount in Midfield alongside Rice and Bellingham? Foden probably drops out of that conversation to play on the wing. Mount has been ineffective and I'm not sure will deal well with the physicality or pressing intensity required. Henderson and Phillips offer good physicality, though I think Phillips' passing and tackling is better, whilst Hendo is clearly more of a leader on the pitch. I don't see GS starting Maddison, so its off the bench opportunities only for him.

Wales were embarrassing frankly. I did want England to smash them just to ease my nerves, but it really was dire all over the park from them. Turns out in the end, we're still here, they're not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

England did well last night. Everyone stepped up the level from the USA game, the new starting players really had a good go to stake a claim for a spot against Senegal, for all the "passion" it was men against boys and there could have been a few more goals for England. 

Tactically it showed that England produce their best chances when they win the ball back high up the field through an effective counter press early on. I think that will tell with Southgate going forward, particularly with who he plays in midfield and how he manages the energy levels in that part of the pitch.

I think GS will go with Saka on Sunday for the physical battle Senegal will bring. I'd start Rashford ahead of Sterling, but doubt GS would do the same. Foden, Henderson, Maddison, Phillips or Mount in Midfield alongside Rice and Bellingham? Foden probably drops out of that conversation to play on the wing. Mount has been ineffective and I'm not sure will deal well with the physicality or pressing intensity required. Henderson and Phillips offer good physicality, though I think Phillips' passing and tackling is better, whilst Hendo is clearly more of a leader on the pitch. I don't see GS starting Maddison, so its off the bench opportunities only for him.

Wales were embarrassing frankly. I did want England to smash them just to ease my nerves, but it really was dire all over the park from them. Turns out in the end, we're still here, they're not.

It was an occasion for sure in which Wales didn’t look more than the sum of their parts.

England didn’t create too much in the first half despite dominating possession and being camped in the Welsh half for most of it.

But the second half was unrelenting particularly once England took the lead - it certainly could have been more than three.

11 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Can't say the prospect of Mbappe up against Harry Maguire fills me with much confidence.

Probably not popular saying this, but with all the off field issues with Qatar hosting the WC, human rights etc, and we all hope lessons have been learned,  particularly by the Qataris on how to treat their citizens,  the organisation of the tournament has been first class.

Many wondered if such a small country could do it, but it has all run smoothly,  no trouble with fans in such a small area, ticketing prices must be about right, some less than capacity attendances, but on the whole a good turnout by spectators.

Fan zones etc, all laid on, no mishaps with ceremonial stuff, anthems, fireworks etc, so at the moment a success.

Edited by HawkMan

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Wales were embarrassing frankly. I did want England to smash them just to ease my nerves, but it really was dire all over the park from them.

Yep , hopeless . They can pack their passion and big talk and take them home with them and maybe we can sit in the hotel watching the game back cheering 

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Can't say the prospect of Mbappe up against Harry Maguire fills me with much confidence.

He’s a very very special talent I reckon. If we get through France in the quarters looks pretty much as tough as it can be on what I’ve seen 

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Probably not popular saying this, but with all the off field issues with Qatar hosting the WC, human rights etc, and we all hope lessons have been learned,  particularly by the Qataris on how to treat their citizens,  the organisation of the tournament has been first class.

Many wondered if such a small country could do it, but it has all run smoothly,  no trouble with fans in such a small area, ticketing prices must be about right, some less than capacity attendances, but on the whole a good turnout by spectators.

Fan zones etc, all laid on, no mishaps with ceremonial stuff, anthems, fireworks etc, so at the moment a success.

The lights did go out just before a Serbia corner on Monday I think... and of course the war on rainbows has been on a regular reminder.

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yep , hopeless . They can pack their passion and big talk and take them home with them and maybe we can sit in the hotel watching the game back cheering 

I think it got to me last night when Alan Shearer made the point that they had been on air for 40 minutes pre match and had barely mentioned England! Laying it on so thick with the Wales love in, I'm glad they were humiliated.

Some excellent memes and reactions coming out of this though

2 hours ago, JonM said:

No, that’s a match up that Maguire will struggle with if it comes down to pace.

I wouldn’t get ahead of ourselves though as Senegal will be a tougher nut to crack than any team we’ve played so far.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HawkMan said:

That's because they aren't drunk. No doubt the possibility of several weeks in a Qatari jail and 50 lashes of a cat o'nine tails focuses the mind too!