FIFA WORLD CUP 2022

33 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Incredible talent . He’s been the best young talent I’ve seen at the comp and Mbappe the best player 

Away from this competition I am worried about Jude coming to a Premier League club and essentially going backwards, no reason why but I like the idea of the lad cutting it up in the Bundesliga.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Good win eventually, I still don't know what Grealish brings though, maybe he needs more time and less expectation.

He gets free kicks - wasn't he the most fouled player in Euro 2020?

The result was good, but we shouldn't let it overshadow how bad it was for 38 minutes.

We scored a goal from nowhere that luckily changed the whole game. Before that, we were utterly clueless and couldn't get it out of defence.

I think France will be different, mainly because we won't be able to have possession in the same way. It will be very tough to win, and would probably represent the best English win in my lifetime. I just hope we give a good account of ourselves.

7 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

World Cup starting to spice up now in terms of superclassicos in the making.

There have been no real classics in the 2nd round but there's a real chance that all quarter finals are. Barring an upset, we're looking at:

Netherlands-Argentina

England-France

Brazil-Croatia

Spain-Portugal 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There have been no real classics in the 2nd round but there's a real chance that all quarter finals are. Barring an upset, we're looking at:

Netherlands-Argentina

England-France

Brazil-Croatia

Spain-Portugal 

Yes, but I’m talking about clashes of the big guns when I say superclsssicos.

There have been shocks and the odd nice game.

However sometimes you want to see the best of the best taking it to each other to take things to another footballing level.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

6 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The result was good, but we shouldn't let it overshadow how bad it was for 38 minutes.

We scored a goal from nowhere that luckily changed the whole game. Before that, we were utterly clueless and couldn't get it out of defence.

I think France will be different, mainly because we won't be able to have possession in the same way. It will be very tough to win, and would probably represent the best English win in my lifetime. I just hope we give a good account of ourselves.

We were much the better team tonight and played some great football at times with a real cutting edge.  There really were some great performances particularly in midfield.

If you look at the two chances Senegal had all game they came from misplaced passing out of defence and once Maguire and Stones learned to shift it long and wide over the press there was little in it for the Senegalese in terms of joy.

Obviously there’s much focus now on Mbappe versus Walker/Stones and in particular Maguire.  Interestingly Harry does match up pretty well against a less mobile forward like Giroud and he might dominate the aerial balls there.

I think In midfield France are still missing Kante’s experience in plugging holes and that’s something Bellingham could exploit.

Watching them today against Poland it was noticeable how much better the French looked second half as they dropped deeper and compressed the space the Poles had found in the first half in the final third.

From there they launched counter attacks in the transition exploiting Mbappe’s speed and ability to create space by moving out to the left bringing the other French forwards into the game.  Then when support arrived Mbappe was looking to cut In and strike himself to fatal effect.

I actually expect France will concede possession to England at the back in our defensive third, encourage a high defensive English line to happen as a result and look to hit us on the break through Mbappe (but being compact whenever they lose the ball).  That will be an interesting development in itself for England to enjoy most of the possession in a big knockout game.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

According to my Polish friends at work, apart from Lebandoskwi (spelling apologies) they are extremely average.

Not sure how much of a test that actually was for France.

32 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

No doubt it will be tough against France and you're right about us having less possession, but I feel that it suits England playing on the counter attack rather than trying to force the play.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hw88 said:

So it was like a Premier League team playing a League 1 team then!.

One other surprising fact about the Aussie team.  One of the substitutes, Garang Kuol, who nearly scored in the last minute, has NEVER started a professional football match!

Apparently he is due to join Newcastle Arabia in January.

• Thanks 1

So England have thrashed a couple of 3rd world nations and a 3rd rate Wales. When they need it, against the likes of France and Argentina, they won't be able to buy a goal. Yes they have some good players but they are made to look better than they really are  in the Premier League because they are surrounded by some of the world's best players. Let's face it kick out thr bottom 5 premier league teams and replace them with Real Madrid, Bayern, Napoli, Barcelona and PSG and you have a 'European Super League' right there.

• Haha 2

The one thing i have noticed about the winners of the last sixteen games (especially) the Netherlands is at the final whistle they have leapt about and jumped around celebrating as if they have won the actual Cup , whereas the England Team remained calm and fairly composed .It seems they have their sights set on their next target .At least it shows they aren`t getting ahead of themselves because the real Tournament only starts  now .

6 hours ago, hw88 said:

So England have thrashed a couple of 3rd world nations and a 3rd rate Wales. When they need it, against the likes of France and Argentina, they won't be able to buy a goal. Yes they have some good players but they are made to look better than they really are  in the Premier League because they are surrounded by some of the world's best players. Let's face it kick out thr bottom 5 premier league teams and replace them with Real Madrid, Bayern, Napoli, Barcelona and PSG and you have a 'European Super League' right there.

I'd classified them as Category A and Category B  clubs. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Just now, DavidM said:

I wish the Japan fans would learn another song or move onto verse two 

We'll find out shortly whether you'll have to put up with it any more...

Looks like we won't after that first penalty!

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Japan are rubbish at penalties.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I'm fed up with all these blowout scores in the last 16. I think the Soccer World Cup should go back to 16 teams and only allow 1 place for Asia, Africa and Oceania. (c) Rugby League 'Fan', 2022

Joking aside, going to 48 teams is ridiculous. As is the latest bonkers idea of penalties in the group stages. FIFA are desperate for a winner outside of Europe and South America but it shows no sign of happening any time soon. In fact, you can pretty much bet on one of the 8 previous winners (out of 22 tournaments) winning it again.

Africa's teams are particularly disappointing. Senegal are African champions and have a team full of players who play in the top leagues in Europe. Yes, they missed Mane but they struggled to get out of their group and lost to both European sides they met. Morocco remain and could prove me wrong against Spain but I don't think they will.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 04/12/2022 at 22:37, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

No doubt it will be tough against France and you're right about us having less possession, but I feel that it suits England playing on the counter attack rather than trying to force the play.

I think this was my point. I'm not saying we'll win, but I think we'll give a good account of ourselves. It is often when we're directing the play that we look out of sorts.

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

I'm fed up with all these blowout scores in the last 16. I think the Soccer World Cup should go back to 16 teams and only allow 1 place for Asia, Africa and Oceania. (c) Rugby League 'Fan', 2022

Joking aside, going to 48 teams is ridiculous. As is the latest bonkers idea of penalties in the group stages. FIFA are desperate for a winner outside of Europe and South America but it shows no sign of happening any time soon. In fact, you can pretty much bet on one of the 8 previous winners (out of 22 tournaments) winning it again.

Africa's teams are particularly disappointing. Senegal are African champions and have a team full of players who play in the top leagues in Europe. Yes, they missed Mane but they struggled to get out of their group and lost to both European sides they met. Morocco remain and could prove me wrong against Spain but I don't think they will.

48 will do what 24 has done to the Euros, and effectively make the group stages duller.

Other than 1/2 European nations like Italy, adding in another 14 lower quality nations isn't going to add to the WC.

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

Exactly.

The perfect number is either 16 or 32.

The extra 16 teams will come from Africa, Asia, etc. with only a few coming from Europe (the most dominant continent). What bugs me is the fact that almost 50% of South American countries get to qualify (probably more with 48) yet apart from Argentina and Brazil they are just there to make up the numbers.

15 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

48 will do what 24 has done to the Euros, and effectively make the group stages duller.

Other than 1/2 European nations like Italy, adding in another 14 lower quality nations isn't going to add to the WC.

To counterbalance that , the group stages will be 16×3 teams with one missing out on last 32. So if you lose your first game it could be disaster.  With the format, 1v2, 2v3, and 1v3 only, the first might be cagey,but if there's a result in game 1, then games 2 and 3 becomes do or die. With the possibility of penalties in these group games if drawn , it would make all 3 games very important.

Personally I'd keep it at 32.

Edited by HawkMan