FIFA WORLD CUP 2022

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Can’t believe Neymar didnt take a penalty . You don’t leave your main man until the fifth pen , unless he chickened out all together . And i dont watch much domestic footy but I knew Richarlison was a diver but Antony is just ridiculous . I think itll kill Brazil because it seemed they really really thought theyd win it this year

I'm pretty sure this lesson has been learned in a high-profile instance quite recently. My mind is drawing a blank though on exactly when though.

It'll be 24 years for them at the next World Cup, that's starting to feel like a real monkey on their back. 

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm pretty sure this lesson has been learned in a high-profile instance quite recently. My mind is drawing a blank though on exactly when though.

It'll be 24 years for them at the next World Cup, that's starting to feel like a real monkey on their back. 

You’re thinking of Salah not getting his penalty opportunity against Senegal.

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Anyone else get fed up with British pundits and commentators constantly jizzing over Brazil like the sun shines out their rears and they can't do anything wrong? I'm actually struggling to watch this with the circle jerk the commentators are having. 

Yes, I do. I've always want Brazil to lose, this urge goes back to my first proper World Cup when it was Brazil this Brazil that and its been going on at every World Cup ever since.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Was it was England at the rugby league world cup?

I think both had comfortable wins the game before then were unable to re-produce it against better opposition. 

I did think Brasil had got carried away with the dancing against South Korea. 

Edited by Niels

On 06/12/2022 at 18:34, Niels said:

The commentators and Summarisers have been poor I think. 

Gary Lineker for me is by far the most in touch with what I want to hear discussed.

I also like the French summariser on ITV. She understands the tactical side of the game well.

'Summarisers' are totally unnecessary - just gives jobs to former players. I can spot a bad pass or see it is offside for myself. Brian Moore, David Coleman and Gerald Sinstadt never needed them - proper commentators. I particularly dislike the current trend of shoe-horning women into every football programme. They play for teams that would lose to a half-descent U15 lads team yet they have the brassneck to criticise top footballers for making mistakes when they can't do it themselves.

4 hours ago, Niels said:

This was very unnecessary and disappointing. 

Even Messi was ungracious at the end. 

Argentina are one of those teams that I find really hard to like at international level. I adored Maradona and think Messi is a wonderful player but as a team they really do employ every trick in the book to win. At times they can be utterly cynical, dirty and ruthless then the next rolling about, diving, play acting and all the rest. I know this is Football and all teams are at it but Argentina always seem to take it to another level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

Argentina are one of those teams that I find really hard to like at international level. I adored Maradona and think Messi is a wonderful player but as a team they really do employ every trick in the book to win. At times they can be utterly cynical, dirty and ruthless then the next rolling about, diving, play acting and all the rest. I know this is Football and all teams are at it but Argentina always seem to take it to another level.

I bet not many of you bairns can remember Rattin. Epitomised what you said.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

37 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I bet not many of you bairns can remember Rattin. Epitomised what you said.

The one who was sent off for “violence of the tongue” in a match against hosts England, who would later be given a goal in the final that didn’t cross the line, by a referee who admitted he couldn’t understand what Rattin was saying?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The one who was sent off for “violence of the tongue” in a match against hosts England, who would later be given a goal in the final that didn’t cross the line, by a referee who admitted he couldn’t understand what Rattin was saying?

I really don't know how the bit about not crossing the line has anything to do with your point.

Also, whether or not Rattin's sending off was deserved or not, it says nothing about what he was actually like. I suspect Tony probably wasn't referring to that one point.

9 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I really don't know how the bit about not crossing the line has anything to do with your point.

Also, whether or not Rattin's sending off was deserved or not, it says nothing about what he was actually like. I suspect Tony probably wasn't referring to that one point.

It's acknowledged around the world, except England, that England got some very favourable calls in the tournament. Hosts often do. The sending off of Rattin - at a time when sendings off were extremely rare - is one example. The famous goal that only (some) English people genuinely believe is a goal is another.

To bring it back to the naked jingoism on display though: the Dutch were as bad, if not worse, throughout the game, as Argentina. The entire bench rushing on the field for a scrap for example. The outright hostility they have *for each other* is part of what made the game so compelling.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I wasn't referring to that one incident. To be fair, Rattin's reputation preceeded him to that tournament. However, he did his best to live up to it. In modern terms, he'd have been sent off earlier for two yellow cards. Gj's point about the British press is valid, though. By the time of the game, he had been so demonised by the press that his dismissal was inevitable. He did deserve it, though.

The third Goal against Germany was dubious, at best. Why Roger Hunt didn't follow up, I'll never understand.

Still, enough reminiscing for now.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

3 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I'll watch England until someone inexplicably goes down as if they've been filleted. About 10 minutes then👍.

If the England players even attempted to stay on their feet and play football they might have won. Going down after the softest of touches is ridiculous.

• Like 3