1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 1 to 6 points
    • Samoa by 7 to 12 points
    • Samoa by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/11/22 at 16:30

This is going to ba long one

First the long journey, etiing up at 5.00am and leaving for the 08:35am out of Euton where I am pleased to report there were others going up for the final , mainly Aussies but also a group of four with someone in a London Broncos Polo. Got to Crewe OK but then almost crushed on a rammed 11.30am Transport for Wales Train to Piccadilly where the trams to the ground were starting from Market Street.

Going back rammed on the trams, got to Piccadilly and the 19.31 TFW train to Crewe was cancelled due to signalling difficulties. Having learned by now not to trust Britain's broken rail network, I was on the 18.58 Northern train to Crewe. Now on my journey back I did not see any of the faces I had come up with so with the cancellation of the Avanti West Coast seven o'clock train some fans must have been left stranded in Manchester overnight not unreasonably thinking they could stroll in 20 mins before their train was due to depart. Got on the 20:38 from Crewe and all going well until problems at Rugby (station) meant a 23 minute delay in coming into London Euston so as the 23:45 pulled out of Charing Cross I was just huffing and puffing up from the Underground. I got the 00:15 "vomit comet" which terminated  at Orpington and then a bus ride back to my Home Town Station meaning I got through the front door and disabled the alarm at 01:57 today.

Would I do it again for a Home World Cup Final . In the words of Ben Stokes abso  bloody lutely.

Got badges for the final from Mr Lazenby outside Old Trafford for the Final and Elland Road semi-Final. One of the big things about 2013 was the unofficial badges you could collect for each game you were at, some people had them on their scarves as a badge of honour and it was part of the fun of that tournament.

At the one official store outside the East Stand I got a black tourament logo hat and England Badge which along with the plastic bag are the only non-programme souvenirs I have of this. Unlike for example the 2000 Gilbert ball (contraversial at the time), and Adrian Morely beer mat requestioned from the Red Lion pub in Watford and an unoffiocial all competing nations flag scarf from 2013.

I did not tink that Samoa were going blown away by this Australia side nor were they with Mitchell's try in the dying seconds giving it a more flattering scoreline than the Samoans deserved but unfortunately as predicted, they spotted Australia two tries in the first 20 minutes and were playing catch up. Defensively Samoa were solid, offensively they were missing the final killer pass. Certainly from the East Stand upper this was more obvious that it is from the North Stand where I buy for the Grand final.

Now the moans, those buying 12-14 bottles of Cawston press cider before and during the game, obvoulsly you have not been affected by the cost of living crisis. But rather than spend the entire game going up and down like a jack in he box either buying more cider or just being bladdered, often with play on the 5 yard line in from of the East Stand. Why not watch at the pub or at home rather than spoli other fans enjoyment of the game. Your behaviour was very ... Twickenham like....😡

Secondly, its sad and pathetic to boo Australia, though it does a good job in firing them up. They are not playing England who were knocked out by a team of Samoans whao are either Aussie Passport holders or Residents. If playing England I understand if not approve, but this was a neutral game.🙄

Finally, all I will say is if Australia foillowed the example of New Zealkand in 2000 when two teams entered as New Zealand and New Zealand Maori and entered as Queensland and New South Wales then we would in danger of having an origin World Cup final, though New Zealand might disrup that party. They are that far ahead of the rest.

The 2021(2022) World Cup should have been to paraphrase Lenin on the Kronstadt rising  "the flash which lit up reality better than anything else" for Northern Hemisphere Rugby League> It should be the catalyst for a review of the game, its structure and the need for expansion within the UK in the medium to long term. Sadly with a couple of months all that will be discussed on here is how "Scutterton Scorpions"* should be getting an A grade licence or not....

* For the Youth, Scutterton Scorpions was a cartoon in the old TGG fanzine for those that can remember

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Well, i enjoyed it, then again I'm quite positive when it comes to RL, I've really enjoyed the last 2/3 weeks of the tournament.

I, along with many in the stadium were rooting for Samoa, but as a RL fan first, I also appreciate how good Australia are.

I'm glad that Samoa stuck in there and kept it fairly interesting for the most part, I thought they got some really bad calls go their way and was surprised that they didn't challenge any of them and was pleased that they didn't get nilled or thrashed.

Some of Australia's plays and tries were beautiful to watch as a RL fan.

The booing of the Aussies was all done in friendly jest, myself and my pals included, but most people were then adult and respectful enough to applaud their tries, appreciate their players and plays and acknowledge them as world champions again, strangely, not many seemed to want to stay and watch the celebrations, including many Australian fans- more on them later-, however one thing I can't abide is the booing of national anthems, the booing of Advance Australia fair I thought was disgraceful, the sort of thing I'd expect at England football games not a RLWC final, although to be fair it was a minority, but still a disgrace nonetheless.

On the Australians, do they actually enjoy RL? there was the odd groups around us and most of them didn't even cheer or clap when they scored, I suppose being Australian they're used to winning and don't take much pleasure out of it anymore, but most of them just seemed really uninterested and left almost as soon as the hooter sounded.

But congratulations to Australia and well done to Samoa for reaching the final and making it slightly less one sided than a lot predicted.

Bring on 2025!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Of the 60000 plus at OT yesterday, how many people gave a toss about the player numbering system? I never heard it mentioned at all, not in the car park, not in the walk to the ground, not in the bar/pie area and certainly not on the seats before during and after the game.

Well, you were lucky, because it was the only thing being discussed where I was sitting, and on the long journey home. I have heard it mentioned repeatedly, whenever the Aussies play. There are 2 groups that are unlikely to be bothered, however. Those who know their Campbells as well as their Batemans, and those casual watchers for whom they’re a bunch of great athletes going about their business. And we want as many of those as we can. 

Having double checked, I made the initial point, I made it clear that this was a personal gripe. I can’t compare Wayne Pearce with the current Aussie loose forward, when, honestly I am not sure who played “13” for them. 

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

Well, you were lucky, because it was the only thing being discussed where I was sitting, and on the long journey home. I have heard it mentioned repeatedly, whenever the Aussies play. There are 2 groups that are unlikely to be bothered, however. Those who know their Campbells as well as their Batemans, and those casual watchers for whom they’re a bunch of great athletes going about their business. And we want as many of those as we can. 

Having double checked, I made the initial point, I made it clear that this was a personal gripe. I can’t compare Wayne Pearce with the current Aussie loose forward, when, honestly I am not sure who played “13” for them. 

(Was it Tom Trbojevic?)

15 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

It was also discussed in our section in the NW corner, seeing wingers and centres wearing 8,9,10 and forwards wearing 3 is just weird and not really in the spirit of the game was amongst the many things being discussed, this included a couple of particularly irate shackle wearers who were slaughtering Addo-Carr for being a show pony as well 🙂 

50 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Of the 60000 plus at OT yesterday, how many people gave a toss about the player numbering system? I never heard it mentioned at all, not in the car park, not in the walk to the ground, not in the bar/pie area and certainly not on the seats before during and after the game.

I heard it. And I agreed with it. 

37 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

(Was it Tom Trbojevic?)

Isaah Yeo 

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

I watched on TV and really enjoyed the afternoon of RL. The coverage was great, the game was better than I expected, and both Samoa and the Aussies did a great job. 

Samoa took it to the Aussies and put them under a little pressure from the start. If they could have got an early try it could have been more interesting, but the Aussies were clearly the best team. 

There was a worry at one point when the Aussies were marching 80m up field every set, yet still the Samoans held on bravely. They did themselves proud. 

It's also games like yesterday that make you appreciate the Kangaroos more. They clearly loved the occasion and performed well, and I like seeing them let themselves go, enjoying it rather than the 100% robotic professionalism they normally display. 

The event and atmosphere looked great on TV, the half time piece very moving, presentations great - I thought it was a very good finals day, following an outstanding wheelchair final on Fri. 

Yep, I found the whole day at Old Trafford really good. I thought the atmosphere was great and the singers at half time ready for Sinfield coming on was excellent, they were good at end of game too.

The stadium attendance whatever the numbers looked impressive with all tiers looking full, of course could see a few not used but it looked what one would expect of a full stadium - yes I know it was 67000.

Having the wheelchair, womens and mens world cup winners all on the pitch together was also a highlight. From what I could see the wheelchair winners got really good and of course  deserved recognition that I am sure they appreciated.

To add to my enjoyment I was able to chat to some members of the last GB world cup winners.

I think the RLWC got the final day right.

• Like 5

I actually enjoyed the game yesterday so I came in here to look at what other posters thought about it.

Having started at the end I’ve gone back about 4 pages and have decided that it would be preferable to gets some needles and stick them into my testicles rather than read any more of Harry’s NRL bum licking.

Roll on the new season.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

I actually enjoyed the game yesterday so I came in here to look at what other posters thought about it.

Having started at the end I’ve gone back about 4 pages and have decided that it would be preferable to gets some needles and stick them into my testicles rather than read any more of Harry’s NRL bum licking.

Roll on the new season.

How long have you had  your needles fetish? 

In an case, in my view, NRL is streets ahead of SL across the board.

• Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The booing of the Aussies added to the occasion. I'm sure they took it in the spirit it was given. We know they are the best team in the world. They know it too. We as fans have paid our money and can choose to support whichever team we want. My one wish was that clear 40/20 had been given. Pressure on the Aussies early on. Maybe a try to Samoa. Who knows. But the game would have had a different dynamic.

Edited by johnh1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, 7723 said:

Probably against the grain but I thought that was a really boring match.

I'm a neutral in most of the games I watch and, while you often see some outstanding play, like a Storm or Roosters game, it doesn't feel the same as when I have some emotional investment.

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

First the long journey, etiing up at 5.00am and leaving for the 08:35am out of Euton where I am pleased to report there were others going up for the final , mainly Aussies but also a group of four with someone in a London Broncos Polo. Got to Crewe OK but then almost crushed on a rammed 11.30am Transport for Wales Train to Piccadilly where the trams to the ground were starting from Market Street.

Going back rammed on the trams, got to Piccadilly and the 19.31 TFW train to Crewe was cancelled due to signalling difficulties. Having learned by now not to trust Britain's broken rail network, I was on the 18.58 Northern train to Crewe. Now on my journey back I did not see any of the faces I had come up with so with the cancellation of the Avanti West Coast seven o'clock train some fans must have been left stranded in Manchester overnight not unreasonably thinking they could stroll in 20 mins before their train was due to depart. Got on the 20:38 from Crewe and all going well until problems at Rugby (station) meant a 23 minute delay in coming into London Euston so as the 23:45 pulled out of Charing Cross I was just huffing and puffing up from the Underground. I got the 00:15 "vomit comet" which terminated  at Orpington and then a bus ride back to my Home Town Station meaning I got through the front door and disabled the alarm at 01:57 today.

Would I do it again for a Home World Cup Final . In the words of Ben Stokes abso  bloody lutely.

Got badges for the final from Mr Lazenby outside Old Trafford for the Final and Elland Road semi-Final. One of the big things about 2013 was the unofficial badges you could collect for each game you were at, some people had them on their scarves as a badge of honour and it was part of the fun of that tournament.

At the one official store outside the East Stand I got a black tourament logo hat and England Badge which along with the plastic bag are the only non-programme souvenirs I have of this. Unlike for example the 2000 Gilbert ball (contraversial at the time), and Adrian Morely beer mat requestioned from the Red Lion pub in Watford and an unoffiocial all competing nations flag scarf from 2013.

I did not tink that Samoa were going blown away by this Australia side nor were they with Mitchell's try in the dying seconds giving it a more flattering scoreline than the Samoans deserved but unfortunately as predicted, they spotted Australia two tries in the first 20 minutes and were playing catch up. Defensively Samoa were solid, offensively they were missing the final killer pass. Certainly from the East Stand upper this was more obvious that it is from the North Stand where I buy for the Grand final.

Now the moans, those buying 12-14 bottles of Cawston press cider before and during the game, obvoulsly you have not been affected by the cost of living crisis. But rather than spend the entire game going up and down like a jack in he box either buying more cider or just being bladdered, often with play on the 5 yard line in from of the East Stand. Why not watch at the pub or at home rather than spoli other fans enjoyment of the game. Your behaviour was very ... Twickenham like....😡

Secondly, its sad and pathetic to boo Australia, though it does a good job in firing them up. They are not playing England who were knocked out by a team of Samoans whao are either Aussie Passport holders or Residents. If playing England I understand if not approve, but this was a neutral game.🙄

Finally, all I will say is if Australia foillowed the example of New Zealkand in 2000 when two teams entered as New Zealand and New Zealand Maori and entered as Queensland and New South Wales then we would in danger of having an origin World Cup final, though New Zealand might disrup that party. They are that far ahead of the rest.

The 2021(2022) World Cup should have been to paraphrase Lenin on the Kronstadt rising  "the flash which lit up reality better than anything else" for Northern Hemisphere Rugby League> It should be the catalyst for a review of the game, its structure and the need for expansion within the UK in the medium to long term. Sadly with a couple of months all that will be discussed on here is 

Edited by yipyee

23 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Bland boring, predictable game to end an disappointing tournament overall. 4 maybe 5 good matches, poor crowds, obvious winner, England bottling it and no international plan going forward. Yay! I'm done wasting my energy with it.

Can we hold you to that promise?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, meast said:

The booing of the Aussies was all done in friendly jest, myself and my pals included, but most people were then adult and respectful enough to applaud their tries, appreciate their players and plays and acknowledge them as world champions again, strangely, not many seemed to want to stay and watch the celebrations, including many Australian fans- more on them later-, however one thing I can't abide is the booing of national anthems, the booing of Advance Australia fair I thought was disgraceful, the sort of thing I'd expect at England football games not a RLWC final, although to be fair it was a minority, but still a disgrace nonetheless.

As an Australian I can tell you the booing doesn't bother anyone. I find the constant slurs against referees far more insufferable. In 50 years of Watching RL i've seen zillions of mistakes and calls that I thought could have gone the other way but I have never assumed the ref had some personal agenda vis a vis the result.

On the Australians, do they actually enjoy RL? there was the odd groups around us and most of them didn't even cheer or clap when they scored, I suppose being Australian they're used to winning and don't take much pleasure out of it anymore, but most of them just seemed really uninterested and left almost as soon as the hooter sounded.

This is a surprisingly good question. Throughout the final my dominant feeling was stress. I never relax until the final siren. As a NSWer I feel the same about Origin. I just feel tense from the kick-off right through to after the siren when they kick all the fans out and switch the lights off. I think it's because I've seen all these players for years in the NRL and I know that, even in the Samoa team, there were blokes there who could put on 20 points in the last 10 minutes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The 2021(2022) World Cup should have been to paraphrase Lenin on the Kronstadt rising  "the flash which lit up reality better than anything else" for Northern Hemisphere Rugby League> It should be the catalyst for a review of the game, its structure and the need for expansion within the UK in the medium to long term. Sadly with a couple of months all that will be discussed on here is how "Scutterton Scorpions"* should be getting an A grade licence or not....

* For the Youth, Scutterton Scorpions was a cartoon in the old TGG fanzine for those that can remember

Every major tournament there is talk of a legacy. From London 2012 to RU World Cup 2003 win and 2015 home aRU World Cup. It's a myth. 

• Like 2

A really enjoyable day - agree with those that say the booing of the Aussies was all in jest. The ovation for Sinfield was both spine tingling and well deserved, while the atmosphere whenever Samoa did something of note was fantastic.

Seen some comments here about whether Aussie fans really care - small sample size here, but stayed to see the trophy being lifted and there were some older Aussie fans near us who were getting quite emotional. One day I hope to be in their shoes...

One thing though, maybe for regular Old Trafford attendees - is it usually such a pain in the bum getting away from there on the tram? Only consolation of that very long wait under the cricket Old Trafford was that it wasn't raining...

23 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

A really enjoyable day - agree with those that say the booing of the Aussies was all in jest. The ovation for Sinfield was both spine tingling and well deserved, while the atmosphere whenever Samoa did something of note was fantastic.

Seen some comments here about whether Aussie fans really care - small sample size here, but stayed to see the trophy being lifted and there were some older Aussie fans near us who were getting quite emotional. One day I hope to be in their shoes...

One thing though, maybe for regular Old Trafford attendees - is it usually such a pain in the bum getting away from there on the tram? Only consolation of that very long wait under the cricket Old Trafford was that it wasn't raining...

Did you not take my advice on the OT thread and use the Wharfside tram stop? It’s in the opposite direction to the OT tram stop near the cricket ground where the vast majority of  tram users go. Ah well, you live and learn 😂

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

How long have you had  your needles fetish? 

In an case, in my view, NRL is streets ahead of SL across the board.

The Nrl is a different game to Super league, different athletes playing at a different intensity with different officiating, I don't like saying it but we'll forever be playing catch up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Did you not take my advice on the OT thread and use the Wharfside tram stop? It’s in the opposite direction to the OT tram stop near the cricket ground where the vast majority of  tram users go. Ah well, you live and learn 😂

######! Yeah, wish I'd taken note of that...