Fri 18 Nov: Wheelchair World Cup Final: France v England KO 7.30pm

Who will win?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• France
    • England

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/11/22 at 20:00

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I would say it’s quite possibly the most inclusive sport in the world in that sense. All genders, all abilities sharing one pitch. And yet you’re absolutely correct that it somehow fails to tick the right boxes!

Yet sighted people are allowed to guide blind people and get funding.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, tim2 said:

I wonder if they'll get video ref in 2025?

If they do, watch out for people on this forum complaining that it's slowing the game down and ruining it. #CantWin 

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It misses out on disability sport funding, because it isn't exclusively for disabled athletes.

There are other sources who would be happy to be associated with this sport because of its inclusivity, which means it reaches loads of demographics in a single sponsorship or funding "hit". That's why being on the BBC would be a big deal.

• Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

A Welsh neutral on the way home for the tournament.

First, if you didn't see it, I was part of the Thi Is Us performance outside the venue. I'll say it myself it looked spectacular.

Next was an amazing game of wheelchair rugby league. Closely contested by the best two teams, with very little to separate them....except when it counted England had the better attack moves to penterate some pernacious French defence.

The French defensive Referee was a disgrace and hopefully he'll not officiate another game. Absolutely disgraceful behavior form a match official

From Wales Wheelchair Rugby League... Congratulations England... World Champions 

• Like 11

Just now, tim2 said:

There are other sources who would be happy to be associated with this sport because of its inclusivity, which means it reaches loads of demographics in a single sponsorship or funding "hit". That's why being on the BBC would be a big deal.

Yes, it's sponsorship and airtime, rather than state funding where Wheelchair RL needs to make inroads. The same inclusivity means the sport can't profit from association with the Paralympics either.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It misses out on disability sport funding, because it isn't exclusively for disabled athletes.

Our club, North Wales Crusaders, set up with charitable status and attracts plenty of funding streams including Disability Sport Wales

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Any idea why he was saying no try? Seemed clear as day.

Yes, he wanted France to win! The same thing happened in the first half when Brown went over and was disallowed, the in-goal official (2 metres away) said try, the French Ref said no try.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Niels said:

In fairness though they are guiding and helping disabled competitors, not competing.

My point is able people are part and parcel of the competition. I see that as participation, the better guides will help the winners. It isn't the skill of the competitor that is the what what creates the result, but how good the guide is at getting the disabled through the course, the faster and more skillful the guide the better the competitor. To make it far select random guides. 

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Padge said:

My point is able people are part and parcel of the competition. I see that as participation, the better guides will help the winners. It isn't the skill of the competitor that is the what what creates the result, but how good the guide is at getting the disabled through the course, the faster and more skillful the guide the better the competitor. To make it far select random guides. 

That's a good point. I must admit I hadn't thought of that. As you say, a better guide will provide an advantage. 

• Like 1

Utterly brilliant competition. Genuinely feels like a pivotal moment for WC RL. Brilliant - and congratulations to England. Now come on Samoa

Edited by Pie tries
  • Like 2

The reception and reach for this game is incredible, I go on a football forum (it's loosely a football one, its basically a general one with everything) and it's full of angry cynics ha ha, but the thread for last nights match is universal in its praise, people wanting to see more of it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Madrileño said:

It is played in the south too. I went to a game at gillingham(?) a few years ago.

Union have a version that is in the paralympics.

It looks nothing like this, and is played with a round ball. It started in America, and union took over it to gain exposure/funding. Personally, I think their version is garbage. 

Union will change their rules (perhaps even the ball) based on this wheelchair RL world cup. Mark my words, I have been waiting for them to do it for a few years since I first saw wheelchair rl. Prepare to be plagiarised. 

Not the first time they steal our rules and call it Rugby Union. Touch rugby being one