1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/11/22 at 20:00

7 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Yes, although well beaten they competed. Key difference was the physicality...

Having said that I don't think the final will be as close as the last Aus/NZ.  Just thinking the Aussies will be too strong.

The Aussies will beat them out wide more expansive passing game.The Kiwis  may boss the middle.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jacksy said:

He is pointing out an important part of the game.

Some of us said during the game both teams are being reffed differently at the ruck. Not counting the head highs the ref missed.

Its obviously, not why the game was lost but is it too hard to treat both teams equally?

We won't know if a faster ruck suited us it wasnt allowed.

I agree with your assessment of Badger. She wasn't great in the first half though became more anonymous (i.e. better) in the second, but in no way was she the reason we lost and it was poor form for the coach to imply it. He should leave that for the likes of us to discuss on this forum and accept we tried hard, could have done better but ultimately lost to a better team.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

They deserve it,they work hard enough,then they go to work.

My point was that this was yet another "but it's so easy - all we have to do is spend all that money we don't have!" solution.

Let's hope the World Cup attracts more real money for the various forms of the game.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

England competed well but you're not going to win any game with the number of times the attack broke down when they were in NZs 20. You can only give them credit though for battling away against a bigger faster NZ team though.

The Super League does need to become a full time comp however as they will never be able to make that final step otherwise.

• Like 1

NZ too big and too crisp.

The NZ FB was very assured and ran it back with a Suaalii-like vigour.

When the ball went to the edges, the England girls really struggled to cope with the big guys out wide. Hall and Hufunga made defenders look like speed-bumps and found passes amidst the scattered confusion.

England struggled for creativity in the halves as decision-making time and space was much less available. Their halves looked spooked and physically cowed and that fed into a lack of general cohesion and fluidity.

I thought the Pommy props tried valiantly. Cunningham was a workhorse at #13. Unfortunately, the classy Tara Jane Stanley had an absolute mare out there tonight in defence and in ball-handling in attack. Everything she touched seemed to go down. England's best player IMO was young Leah Burke on the left wing. She put her body in front of the big guys coming towards her and looked assured and composed whenever she touched the ball.

I thought Badger let a number of high shots go, but I rather like her as a ref. I think she has a good demeanour about her and lets the game unfold and flow.

NZ good value for the margin of victory. Commiserations to the England girls. I've really enjoyed watching them play and develop as a team. I just think they were a bit outgunned tonight.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

My point was that this was yet another "but it's so easy - all we have to do is spend all that money we don't have!" solution.

Let's hope the World Cup attracts more real money for the various forms of the game.

Maybe they should look at the salaries of the donkeys that supposedly run the game. Yes let's the world cup does attract some decent, good quality sponsors. 

Again Georgia Hale (13) was the glue in the NZ side that let the rest of the bigger, faster ladies do their stuff

50 tackles (1 miss) and 213 metres, as well as being 1st receiver a good proportion of the time

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BroncoFan said:

Hollie Dodd is my favourite player now, an absolute star but I was disappointed she didn’t start and get more game time.

I wonder if she's related to Gavin Dodd who used to play for Oldham. Last I heard he was playing for saddleworth Rangers in the NCL. 

56 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I just took a look at her Tonga career - it was the "2022 Oceania Rugby Women's Championship". Note that they are too ashamed to say which code - RU giveaway #1.

Tonga lost to Samoa, scoring 17 points, comprising three tries and a conversion. They lost to Fiji, scoring 7 points from a converted try. Then they absolutely obliterated the few PNG players who could be bothered to take up RU 108:7 and I can't be bothered to do the maths on that one, but this is certainly Rugby Union with those scoring patterns.

Mele Hufanga played for Tonga against Niue in a RL Pacific Test. Part of a double header with Kiwi Ferns v Fetu Samoa at Mount Smart in 2020.

I seem to recall that game was the subject of some exchanges on a thread in the women`s section during which I invited anyone with superior tech skills to post the YouTube footage. Someone with the username @Futtocks helpfully obliged.

Mele has played both codes concurrently at club level in Auckland. She`s played RL for Ponsonby the past couple of years. In a recent interview she said she will be concentrating on one code from next year and it will probably be League. Expect she`s aiming for an NRLW contract.

• Thanks 2

Re - the Amy Hardcastle phantom knock-on.

If our players and coach watch NRLW, they ought to know that Aussie refs regard hints of bobbles as knock-ons. Absolutely demented, but that`s the way it is now. They call on mere suspicion, then invite a challenge. So, why didn`t we challenge?

Looking ahead, I don`t believe we will close the gap with another coach who wants to keep it simple. We need to encourage and hone our creativity rather than suppress it.

The new coach should assert "Rugby League is NOT a simple game" and take it from there.

Edited by unapologetic pedant
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed the game. 

NZ took their two chances in the second half clinically and then managed the game very professionally. They played as a team and had better players. The right centre for NZ was strong and fast. 

I thought the referee had a good game too. 

The final will be a great match if it is similar to the group game. It will be difficult for NZ to maintain the high intensity for a third game in a short period though. 

• Like 1

Great result. Delighted to see the Kiwi girls win this one.

They deserve special credit as the team is under strength due to the Women's Rugby World Cup (a rugby union competition ) which is running at the same time. A few girls who play League (and also rugby) have opted for the rugby team as it is a much higher profile  event.

In any case, the League girls have really stepped up, and they blew England away tonight. 

6 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

Another 'untidy' silence. Well observed though by those who listened to the instructions.

Now, let's get this game started and see where we are in the grand scheme of things. Come on England!

I said this to a mate at the weekend, why are people these days unable to understand how a 2 minutes silence works?

It's annoying listening to people start applauding after the last post rather than stand in respectful silence.

Just stop it, stop clapping and howling you plebs!

• Like 3

Enjoyed the game and the atmosphere, the stadium was great, how Huddersfield Giants could do with a ground like that.. anyway.

I thought the England girls did us proud tonight, they were clearly 2nd best but never gave in and fought for everything despite trailing for most of it.

I thought Burke and Goldthorp were great at the back, Roche was good first half and Rudge led by example with her work rate and tackling, Cunningham was an absolute warriors again and others did well but I was surprised that Hollie Dodd didn't start as she's usually non stop action.

The ferns were just too quick and strong especially on the flanks and Nicholls was superb at full back for them.

Thought the ref was extremely lenient with NZ though and seemed to give them some beneficial calls.

I think Richards got it right when he suggested that some of the girls aren't used to chasing games and having to tough games out, not their fault at all.

They can all feel very proud of the role they've played in this tournament.

• Like 3

For me though, another disappointing example of RL players not engaging properly with the crowd..  not necessarily a negative thing.

After the game had finished most people applauded but were wanting to applaud both teams off the pitch.

Instead both sets of players stood around on the pitch chatting and then individual players wandered over to their families and friends etc leaving the crowd stood around waiting for the chance to show their appreciation that never came.

There was lots of families and kids there tonight especially in the East stand where I was who were stood around for 15 minutes before giving up and making their way out.

While any interaction is great with the fans, I do deplore the powers that be and the players themselves to just take a minute or 2 to take the applause and appreciation of the crowd and showing your appreciation to them before going to greet families etc, is it too much to ask for them to just walk round and take and give mutual appreciation from the fans.

I've commented before that the fans are almost ignored once a game finishes.

It's something I've discussed with the Giants management and it's something I urge the players, coaches and administrators to do in future.

• Like 2

Whilst that last post may appear negative it's really not, it's great that the players spend time with family and friends after the game but there was 7,000 people there tonight who all wanted to show their appreciation but who never got the chance and went home instead.

One of those was my mate who attended his first ever live women's game and thoroughly enjoyed it, he's also trying to persuade his wife to watch the final on Saturday too.

New and old fans should get the chance to appluad both teams off the field, others sports manage it.

Well done to both teams and good luck to New Zealand in the final.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, meast said:

Whilst that last post may appear negative it's really not, it's great that the players spend time with family and friends after the game but there was 7,000 people there tonight who all wanted to show their appreciation but who never got the chance and went home instead.

And they'll have that opportunity for much longer with family and friends in the bar afterwards too, likewise with the opposition.

• Like 1