Jamaica are one of the big positives to come out of this world cup. The question is now how do we help build on there success and keep the momentum going. Surely England must now play Jamaica in a mid season test. I would take the game to London . London on Saturday showed they have an interest in international rugby league. Maybe looking at fitting the game around the knotting hill carnival . If we are really brave give them and two match series with second game in Leeds around the Leeds carnival. We need to do as much as possible to keep Jamaica in the game. I was also wondering what a west Indies team could be like and what impact that team would have made at the world cup. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chief Crazy Eagle

Saw some emotion and some real interesting stories surrounding Jamaica and their players in this tournament, so it was a success that they were there and they didn’t disgrace themselves whilst in the tournament. 

You can’t half tell silly season has commenced with England’s tournament hopes ended, mind. Jamaica, like everyone bloody else, need games and regular games. Whether that’s against England, England Knights or Scotland, get them playing. 

• Thanks 1

They definitely need more games. They can play in the Americas Championship at the end of the season and get a couple of mid season tests against Wales, Scotland, Ireland. Could be played in one of those countries or in a city with a big Jamaican population in England.

That gives them 4 or 5 games a year then hopefully they qualify for the next WC

• Thanks 1

Love the enthusiasm but what exactly would Jamaica or England gain from playing each other?

I agree that we should try and develop them but getting an absolute towelling will do nothing to help that.

Same with Wales, Scotland and Ireland we need to establish and develop a domestic presence rather than just one off internationals with their heritage players, lay foundations first and build upwards.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Love the enthusiasm but what exactly would Jamaica or England gain from playing each other?

I agree that we should try and develop them but getting an absolute towelling will do nothing to help that.

Same with Wales, Scotland and Ireland we need to establish and develop a domestic presence rather than just one off internationals with their heritage players, lay foundations first and build upwards.

Exactly, play some games in Jamaica, I doubt a load of English blokes of Jamaican heritage playing a game in England will do much for their domestic game. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, superten said:

Jamaica are one of the big positives to come out of this world cup. The question is now how do we help build on there success and keep the momentum going. Surely England must now play Jamaica in a mid season test. I would take the game to London . London on Saturday showed they have an interest in international rugby league. Maybe looking at fitting the game around the knotting hill carnival . If we are really brave give them and two match series with second game in Leeds around the Leeds carnival. We need to do as much as possible to keep Jamaica in the game. I was also wondering what a west Indies team could be like and what impact that team would have made at the world cup. 

I asked on the Lebanon v Jamaica thread if a West Indies team would be better , obviously not what we normally see in any other sport than cricket , but would it make better sense ? 

31 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I asked on the Lebanon v Jamaica thread if a West Indies team would be better , obviously not what we normally see in any other sport than cricket , but would it make better sense ? 

Theoretically yes but in practice no. It works in cricket because that game is massive over there (but not as big as it was) and is played in all the islands. With RL it would be a Jamaica team masquerading as the WI - a bit like England/GB. Then you have money, or rather the lack of it. To create a pan-WI league would cost way to much. Better to build up the game in Jamaica and spread out from there organically.

• Like 1

Just now, hw88 said:

Theoretically yes but in practice no. It works in cricket because that game is massive over there (but not as big as it was) and is played in all the islands. With RL it would be a Jamaica team masquerading as the WI - a bit like England/GB. Then you have money, or rather the lack of it. To create a pan-WI league would cost way to much. Better to build up the game in Jamaica and spread out from there organically.

Fair enough , I was more looking at the heritage side of it ATM 

I wholly agree with the OP that Jamaica have been one of the real good news stories of the World Cup. How best to profit upon that is another question.

No doubt a match in London would be a very good idea, but where and against who? Given that much of the squad is UK based it is easier to stage financially and practically, but another team would have to fly in. Certainly a match against England would serve no purpose.

Perhaps better would be a game actually in Jamaica against Canada, USA, or even Brazil. A big local crowd (and win) would take the sport up several levels to the place it deserves to be in that country. 

All this aside, everything I read or hear about the sport over there is tremendously encouraging. The future of RL in the Caribbean is bright.

2 hours ago, hw88 said:

There was a West Indies team about 20 years ago. They beat South Africa at Skolars' ground.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, ChristianB said:

I wholly agree with the OP that Jamaica have been one of the real good news stories of the World Cup. How best to profit upon that is another question.

No doubt a match in London would be a very good idea, but where and against who? Given that much of the squad is UK based it is easier to stage financially and practically, but another team would have to fly in. Certainly a match against England would serve no purpose.

Perhaps better would be a game actually in Jamaica against Canada, USA, or even Brazil. A big local crowd (and win) would take the sport up several levels to the place it deserves to be in that country. 

All this aside, everything I read or hear about the sport over there is tremendously encouraging. The future of RL in the Caribbean is bright.

The Americas Championship is scheduled for Jamaica next year. Including Canada and USA. It's the first time that they have managed to get it to Jamaica.

Jamaica has a growth plan, the game is resident there, moreso than say, Italy or Scotland. COVID played a big part in stunting things, but make no mistake, the game has been growing there for years. The guys on the ground are phenomenal. They have had next to no support from government to date, but still have high school U14, U16, U19, Intercol (universities), National Club championship, a second division for expansion, and their own version of State of Origin. 

Jamaica didn't make it to the World Cup by accident.

I agree, more games would make a more competitive Reggae Warriors, but watch the home grown guys too, their World Cup legacy might just just be the spark that causes some significant growth there.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, superten said:

Way to early for Jamaica to be playing England unless it happened in a world cup group, but hats off to them and Greece and others for setting up and running their own leagues and producing players

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jparrish said:

They played Scotland and drew. So they could play Scotland or Wales in West London next and get a good competitive test. Easily arranged with all the players been UK based. 

What’s the point of another team based on players from a different country, playing games in that different country? I’d like to see them play games in Jamaica, with a mix of Jamaican and heritage players, then the domestic game might grow and the RL player pool gets expanded. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because it might get lads playing in the UK also.

Your second option has to be the medium term aim but getting Jam RL some more UK exposure on TV would be a start. 

Sorry I thought we were talking about a Jamaican national team and Jamaican players. But yes you’re probably right, some English players playing in a Jamaican jersey might get some more English lads playing.

• Confused 1