6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Oh no you’ve opened a can of worms there, tin hats on! 

Really? Sounds interesting.

Never looks like it amounted to a lot - but I am guessing the RFL will get the blame somewhere.

27 minutes ago, Griff said:

It said South Africa on the programme. Whether or not it was a representative South African side, however, has nothing to do with Jamaica or West Indies.

As I say I'm not denigrating anything and what we now see as Jamaica was started with these matches, conversations were then had and the links back to Jamaica began here. I remember speaking to someone from the Jamaican RL (as much as it was then) in the Elusive Camel when some of the Storm players were chatting with him @Number 16 was also there IIRC. 

But the game was all UK based players, it was the South African "Wild Dogs" who had some players who were union players and for whom it was their first match IIRC. 

None of this is to denigrate it I'm just trying to  be clear as at the time South Africa had qualified for the 2000 world cup and were playing internationals more. This was a team set up for UK based players (all of which were rightly proud to pull on a shirt and it was a great game).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not a bad thing at all, but I want to see a Jamaican national team with a team full of players from Jamaica, and a stronger league there. That’s what I’m talking about and a load of English lads playing against Scotland in London probably won’t help that, whereas Jamaica v USA in  Jamaica with a team half full of local players might? 

We all want to see a Jamaican national team with mostly Jamaican players and I believe we will for the Americas qualifiers? But a mostly Jamaican team in the world cup is a long term goal. Agreed UK based players playing for Jamaica in the UK will do little to develop RL on the island of Jamaica. But in the short term the Jamaican squad will go to France with mostly heritage players. Getting them playing competitive games inbetween now and 2025 should be a short term goal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Any squad made up mostly of NRL sphere players are a waste of our time if we have a strategic plan. The Jam boys are in our sphere of influence so building them up isn’t a waste.

France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Jamaica and maybe even Nigeria are the countries English RL can have the most influence on. A combined heritage and domestic approach to these nations could provide a competitive competition in the NH in the future.

Just now, JM2010 said:

France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Jamaica and maybe even Nigeria are the countries English RL can have the most influence on. A combined heritage and domestic approach to these nations could provide a competitive competition in the NH in the future.

Take out Ireland and Scotland and you’re bang on. 

Just now, MatthewWoody said:

Why? 
They'd be able to field a competitive team and give Wales and Jamaica a game. 

The post I quoted was about a mixed heritage/domestic approach and linked to England. Scotland and Ireland have probably fewer than 25 open age sides and subjecting domestic players to full-time pros would be daft. 

• Confused 1

Jamaica have got the strongest domestic scene going in the Americas.  Now that more heritage players are interested in playing for Jamaica, would that mean they could take more of a leadership role on this side of the Atlantic with development?  Not at all sure to be honest.  It all comes down to the money, Jamaica have a ton of talent, but not often the finances.  The three way comp between Jamaica, Canada and the US made for some entertaining games in the few years leading up to the pandemic so would love to see that going again at Lamport.  The tie in with the Caribbean Carnival in Toronto made for a cracking night!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

Jamaica have got the strongest domestic scene going in the Americas.  Now that more heritage players are interested in playing for Jamaica, would that mean they could take more of a leadership role on this side of the Atlantic with development?  Not at all sure to be honest.  It all comes down to the money, Jamaica have a ton of talent, but not often the finances.  The three way comp between Jamaica, Canada and the US made for some entertaining games in the few years leading up to the pandemic so would love to see that going again at Lamport.  The tie in with the Caribbean Carnival in Toronto made for a cracking night!

As you say Jamaica doesn't have the money to fund things.  Those matches in Toronto only happened because the CRL (courtesy of Eric Pérez's money) paid for them to come.

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

As you say Jamaica doesn't have the money to fund things.  Those matches in Toronto only happened because the CRL (courtesy of Eric Pérez's money) paid for them to come.

I was involved with the Wolverines at the time, it certainly did take a lot of keeping going at times.  A lot of people who wanted the same things and made it happen.  It can be that way again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

Doesn't mean it isn't beneficial to their standard or development. 

Agreed but we have no money to pay for this game , if you did an England upcoming stars game and tried to get 2 or 3 thousand people watching it in a cosy venue it might be nearer to breaking even