Old Trafford

Eddie

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Understood.  I agree. There should be a direct train line from his house to his seat at Old Trafford.

From the late nineteenth century, until 2019, it was possible to take train directly from London to Manchester and to return on a train going from Manchester to London in the evening. We now appear to be paying about £700m annually in taxpayers money for a company part-owned by the Italian government to not run trains, and for most people it is cheaper to fly from London to Manchester and back than to take the train. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, JonM said:

From the late nineteenth century, until 2019, it was possible to take train directly from London to Manchester and to return on a train going from Manchester to London in the evening. We now appear to be paying about £700m annually in taxpayers money for a company part-owned by the Italian government to not run trains, and for most people it is cheaper to fly from London to Manchester and back than to take the train. 

I go up and down on a regular basis but always choose to stay in Warrington for matches in Wigan/Warrington/St Helens and Salford.

Direct train from London only 2 hours or drive nice hotel called the Penta in Birchwood business park I recommend it.

Paul

40 minutes ago, JonM said:

I thought those Italians were good with trains? 🤔

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

The people running Avanti West Coast could compare notes with the rlwc2021 organisers on incompetent delivery, ticket website disasters and the ability to extract millions of pounds from the government despite manifestly failing to deliver on their targets.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... This wouldn't be a problem if we played all our internationals in Leigh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Breaking news!   Big silver bird in sky faster than iron horse!!! 😮

1 hour ago, JonM said:

It still is.

2 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I thought those Italians were good with trains? 🤔

They are, its just they now operate the same business model as EDF as an example - take all the value out of the UK business to subside their home operations

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Any tips for parking on Saturday.

In the past I've used official car parks but don't mind a walk of about 30 mins.

You can always park at Ladywell Tram stop for free and jump on the Eccles line cost a couple of quid return. Walk across from Media City

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

More World Cup final appearances than England. 

Aside from the rain and train failures, a key memory of the 2000 RLWC is that dang song of her's.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Ok few tips for the non-locals.....

Firstly, don't ask a City fan what stand you're in. They'll likely send you to the wrong end of the ground as they don't know their arris from their elbow.😏

If you're driving in and fancy free parking and don't mind a walk....

If you're coming from the West (J7 M60) you can find some free street parking in and around Great Stone Road Roundabout/Kings Road, behind the cricket ground and 15-20 min walk from the ground.

The Quadrant Pub is decent for a pint and always popular for Utd home games.

The Quadrant - Sports Pub in Stretford https://www.joseph-holt.com/pubs/quadrant

If you're coming in from the South/East then park on one of the streets behind the Tollgate Pub (Stanley Road/Humphrey Road). Shouldn't take you more than 15 mins to walk to the ground from there.

Home | Tollgate | Pub | Neighbourhood https://www.tollgatepubmanchester.co.uk/

And for anyone coming from the North/West Yorks, you can park off the bottom of South Langworthy Road on Montford St. I've parked here for years for Utd games and never had a problem but that's my own personal experience.😁
https://maps.app.goo.gl/p9mhrydXF71KoxTp9

It's 1/2 hour walk to the ground but can stop for a pint at The Lowry on the way. Personally I think the best pint round there is at The Dockyard but you've got 2 or 3 other options (Lime Bar, Harvester, Alchemist)

https://dockyard.pub/media-city/

If you use any of the official car parks be prepared for a fair old wait to get away after the match and it'll cost you around a tenner for the privilege.

If you're on the trams and fancy a pint then get off at either Media City or Trafford Bar stops and you'll have a number of options for a bevvie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Any tips for parking on Saturday.

In the past I've used official car parks but don't mind a walk of about 30 mins.

drive down to stretford tram station…one stop on the tram to old trafford or about 20 minutes walk. Loads of free street parking round there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SalfordSlim said:

Ok few tips for the non-locals.....

Firstly, don't ask a City fan what stand you're in. They'll likely send you to the wrong end of the ground as they don't know their arris from their elbow.😏

If you're driving in and fancy free parking and don't mind a walk....

If you're coming from the West (J7 M60) you can find some free street parking in and around Great Stone Road Roundabout/Kings Road, behind the cricket ground and 15-20 min walk from the ground.

The Quadrant Pub is decent for a pint and always popular for Utd home games.

The Quadrant - Sports Pub in Stretford https://www.joseph-holt.com/pubs/quadrant

If you're coming in from the South/East then park on one of the streets behind the Tollgate Pub (Stanley Road/Humphrey Road). Shouldn't take you more than 15 mins to walk to the ground from there.

Home | Tollgate | Pub | Neighbourhood https://www.tollgatepubmanchester.co.uk/

And for anyone coming from the North/West Yorks, you can park off the bottom of South Langworthy Road on Montford St. I've parked here for years for Utd games and never had a problem but that's my own personal experience.😁
https://maps.app.goo.gl/p9mhrydXF71KoxTp9

It's 1/2 hour walk to the ground but can stop for a pint at The Lowry on the way. Personally I think the best pint round there is at The Dockyard but you've got 2 or 3 other options (Lime Bar, Harvester, Alchemist)

https://dockyard.pub/media-city/

If you use any of the official car parks be prepared for a fair old wait to get away after the match and it'll cost you around a tenner for the privilege.

If you're on the trams and fancy a pint then get off at either Media City or Trafford Bar stops and you'll have a number of options for a bevvie.

1.  !'ll deliberately send you to the wrong place and it'll serve you right. Might even send you to Manchester! 😀

2. A wait in my car is infinitely preferrable to a wait on the mean streets of Trafford Council, just outside Manchester. 😀

Edited by JohnM

20 minutes ago, JohnM said:

1.  !'ll deliberately send you to the wrong place and it'll serve you right. Might even send you to Manchester! 😀

2. A wait in my car is infinitely preferrable to a wait on the mean streets of Trafford Council, just outside Manchester. 😀

1. I know the place inside out so I'm good thanks. Enjoy your day at a big ground.😜

2. The judge says you're not allowed to do that any more so you need to listen to him!👨‍⚖️😁

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Reading that trams aren't running around the Piccadilly area at the moment. We were planning to go to Cloudwater brewery pre-game, may have to change now

It is just from Piccadilly Station towards Eccles and Alty. They run from St Peter's Square to Old Trafford and Deansgate/Castlefield for Eccles.

• Like 1