Old Trafford

Eddie

36 minutes ago, Pricey81 said:

Picked up my old man, drove to Sale Water Park, jumped on the Metrolink (£6.20 return for the pair of us), free parking for tram users and jumped on the tram to Trafford bar. Worked like a dream and only waited about 10mins max at the other end to get back after the trophy presentation etc. 

Were in the safe standing at the very back corner of the South Stand (Bobby Charlton) where it joins the East Stand - it seems this is the away section for football and everyone did stand which would be my preference anyway.

I have to say we had a terrific day. I wish the women's game had been a bit tighter but no criticism there, the Aussies were just too good and the men's final was similar albeit on a lot less of a scale. Getting behind Samoa (like everyone else did) was a real buzz and I was delighted they did get over a couple of times. Their efforts after that first game have been superb this last month. 

As I said on here after the Warrington QF, I have loved this tournament. Finances dictated I was lucky enough to do five live games at five different venues but given unlimited money I would have done more.  Some crowds maybe were disappointing but others weren't and all the games being on the BBC has meant work colleagues who don't follow the game, have done. 

One fella got hooked in by the Fijian hymn in their opening game v Aus, made a point of watching all their games, and was genuinely gutted at them losing late on in the QF v NZ.

The upshot of this is he is coming and bringing his daughter to England v France at Warrington in April.

This is a tiny sample size and is anecdotal but I do think the TV coverage has been crucial in reaching new potential fans (he is a Walsall FC season ticket holder who has never attended an RL game in person but loves sport and goes to cricket as well as football). 

I also realise I have drifted off topic and this may be in the wrong thread now 

To sum up in terms of Old Trafford though, had a great day yesterday, would definitely go safe standing again there, public transport worked well...but the PA system in the back corner of the Bobby Charlton Stand is awful. Probably the Glazers' fault that! 

I’ll highlight your complaint about the PA to CR7. 👍

Bit annoyed about the bag check scam. Mrs handbag had to be checked in its about the size of a piece of A4. Despite having a sunflower lanyard she had to remove her painkillers from the bag and pay £5 to book it in.

We sit down and around us were people with rucksacks and massive handbag like sacks. Rip off.

Edited by Midlands hobo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

You wouldnt have known there was a world cup final on walking around Manchester yesterday. Nothing to tell folks what was happening.

What do you want to see around Manchester City Centre? 

I don't disagree with the principle of your point, it'd be great if we could have partners on board who visibly push us (was this the first ever WC without a beer/brewery sponsor?) - but we are nowhere near that and never have been. 

We can't afford vanity projects, but we do need to work harder to make the most of partnerships. 

26 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Bit annoyed about the bag check scam. Mrs handbag had to be checked in its about the size of a piece of A4. Despite having a sunflower lanyard she had to remove her painkillers from the bag and pay £5 to book it in.

We sit down and around us were people with rucksacks and massive handbag like sacks. Rip off.

I've got bad news, they looked after my bag for nowt as the card machine wasnt working. Was a swizz though.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

We parked across the road from OT for £12. A one off so not bothered. Then a short 9 minute walk to the ground. Enjoyed both games. After having been searched it was funny to see one bloke sit next to us with a quiche! 😁 Then tucking into tesco sarnies and a massive pork pie!

Thought it was disrespectful to boo the Aussies, but also hilarious. Support for Samoa was excellent.

Best part was seeing Sir Kev. Proper hero!👍

Overall it wasn't so bad, although the seating was a bit cramped, testament to football clubs wanting to shoe horn in as many fans as possible. 

Nearly felt sorry for all those cars with parking tickets. That Traffic Warden had a field day!😁

7 minutes ago, doc said:

although the seating was a bit cramped, testament to football clubs wanting to shoe horn in as many fans as possible. 

Poor bloke Infront of me had my knees in his back all afternoon. If your over 5'9 the people around you are doomed.

• Like 1

Was surprised how much of a squeeze it was. Shoulder to shoulder, knees into the guy in front. Emirates comfier but can't beat the atmosphere at Old Trafford for the big finals.

Was a great occasion, but how great it would have been to have been watching England 😞

• Like 1

North stand top tier concourse - small, cramped, slow queues, uninspiring menu*, nowhere to rest your pint, unsanitary male toilets. From other visits I'm sure it's the same in any other standard area you might be seated in. Recent visits to Tottenham and Arsenal stadiums have made me understand why United fans grumble about the lack of investment in facilities at Old Trafford for the true supporters.

*I should mention that my son thought the "United" pie was delicious and certainly in his top 3 pies. My specific dietary requirements meant I looked on jealously 😞

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

What do you want to see around Manchester City Centre? 

I don't disagree with the principle of your point, it'd be great if we could have partners on board who visibly push us (was this the first ever WC without a beer/brewery sponsor?) - but we are nowhere near that and never have been. 

We can't afford vanity projects, but we do need to work harder to make the most of partnerships. 

I work in Liverpool and it wasn't obvious there was a World Gymnastics Championships on for eight days recently. 

There was branding but nothing to make you stop and take much notice. 

4 hours ago, doc said:

We parked across the road from OT for £12. A one off so not bothered. Then a short 9 minute walk to the ground. Enjoyed both games. After having been searched it was funny to see one bloke sit next to us with a quiche! 😁 Then tucking into tesco sarnies and a massive pork pie!

Thought it was disrespectful to boo the Aussies, but also hilarious. Support for Samoa was excellent.

Best part was seeing Sir Kev. Proper hero!👍

Overall it wasn't so bad, although the seating was a bit cramped, testament to football clubs wanting to shoe horn in as many fans as possible. 

Nearly felt sorry for all those cars with parking tickets. That Traffic Warden had a field day!😁

We usually sit at the front of the middle tier in the Fergie stand so don’t really notice the seating but I’m sure it can’t be worse than Anfield. Someone else mentioned struggling at OT if you were 5’9”. At Anfield that becomes about 5’5”.

2 hours ago, Hanover XIII said:

I work in Liverpool and it wasn't obvious there was a World Gymnastics Championships on for eight days recently. 

There was branding but nothing to make you stop and take much notice. 

Yep, It is surprising how much signage their can be and not be noticed.

Those companies that routinely put event signage up don't much of the time really work to get the signage really noticed and taken account of.  I think the organisers pay out money to some promotional signage companies assuming those companies work hard to design and effective displays.

To me you notice if its something your already into, if not it just goes over one's head so to speak. So no point really unless backed up my other interesting activity.

• Like 1

People don't always see what's in front of them. That's why they can drive the wrong way down one way streets despite big red round no entry signs or miss red lights completely, or miss road signs, or hit other vehicles (SMIDSY) , so it's perfectly possible for them not to see adverts or signs for the World Cup Final - if there were any, of course.

7 hours ago, Exiled in Wiggin said:

uninspiring menu*,

Utter ###### menu. Mrs hobo asked for burger or chips. Nothing. The choice was pies meat only I went half time in the women's game and they had zero of the potato and cauliflower left any kiosks behind the SE corner. 

Only veggie option was cheese and onion pasty or Luke warm toastie which was actually a baguette.

Doncaster had great veggie pies leeks and potatoes and steaming hot.

9 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

We asked a steward for directions to our gate and rather than answer that question, she pointed to the bag my mate had (gumph like books and toys for his young son) and said "You won't be allowed to take that in". I said that wasn't an answer to the question I had asked and she said "Yes but you won't be able to take that bag in".

Anyway...did find a steward willing to tell us where we should head and when we got to the gate, they didn't even look in the bag and let my mate straight through.

Edited by Dr Tim Whatley
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

Utter ###### menu. Mrs hobo asked for burger or chips. Nothing. The choice was pies meat only I went half time in the women's game and they had zero of the potato and cauliflower left any kiosks behind the SE corner. 

Only veggie option was cheese and onion pasty or Luke warm toastie which was actually a baguette.

York's LNER concourse had a sausage (and veggie sausage) casserole & mash on for their games, I've never seen that before!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

York's LNER concourse had a sausage (and veggie sausage) casserole & mash on for their games, I've never seen that before!

Reason enough for the Bash

22 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

I haven't eaten at OT for probably 15-20 years (despite being a regular back in the day). Both food and drinks options have been sheeite but at least I managed to get a half decent cider on Saturday so I was relatively content (I had chippy dinner on way to the ground so I was organised😋). Timed my trips to the bar before the game and a few minutes before HT and queues were really quick.

Good day out overall despite finding myself on the very back row of Stretford End which nearly killed me on the hike up.😂

Disappointingly one-sided women's final (NZ were awful l, but credit to the Aussies too) and genuinely think England would've given the Aussies more of a game than Samoa but they weren't disgraced.

Ended up staying for all the presentations and then headed over to the Tollgate pub for a few with my Aussie mate and then got tram into town for a few more. Some little kid on there managed to get his hands on one of Latrell Michell's boots, his shirt and a load of other stuff by the looks of it as well, the jammy little git!😂

The reception Kevin Sinfield got as well was spine-tingling. What a fantastic bloke and a credit to the sport.👏 Not ashamed to admit I shed a little tear when he came onto the pitch!

Edited by SalfordSlim
  • Like 2

On 20/11/2022 at 10:38, Just Browny said:

I've got bad news, they looked after my bag for nowt as the card machine wasnt working. Was a swizz though.

I had a small rucksack with a few bottles of water, a bag of sweets and a coat. They said I couldn't take it in. When I pushed it, the steward said if it was a plastic bag, it would have been allowed. So, testing the water, I took everything out of the bag, held them in my hands and my wife folded the bag up and put it in her pocket. We were waved through. Got to the turnstile, no problem. The guy even held my stuff whilst I scanned my ticket! Got inside, shoved everything back in the bag and enjoyed the rest of the day! 🤣

Edited by Northern Eel

On 20/11/2022 at 16:38, JohnM said:

People don't always see what's in front of them. That's why they can drive the wrong way down one way streets despite big red round no entry signs or miss red lights completely, or miss road signs, or hit other vehicles (SMIDSY) , so it's perfectly possible for them not to see adverts or signs for the World Cup Final - if there were any, of course.

There was definite advertising for the WC, at least there was 2 weeks ago. I can't imagine they would have been removed before the actual final in Manchester. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

My point is that even if the city centre were papered in RLWC ads, the general public would still not see them.

If I walked around any city centre today I doubt I could recall later, any advertising I saw. We get so bombarded with it these days I just switch off to it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gomersall said:

If I walked around any city centre today I doubt I could recall later, any advertising I saw. We get so bombarded with it these days I just switch off to it.

And don't mention high visibility vests.

• Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Mrs Ciderwire and I drove to OT from Chesterfield and found our pre-paid parking spot (£5.75 on the YPS App - awesome) no probs. Then 15 min walk to the ground, stopping at KFC enroute for a paper bag full of deep-fried guilty pleasures. We then meandered our way to our seats in the North Stand which, to my surprise, were on the lower tier, pretty much pitch-side (Mrs Ciderwire purchased them as a pressie and subsequently this reminded me why I love her to bits). We didn't bother with food or beer inside the ground but can honestly say that the day went perfectly, we had some banter with the surrounding antipodeans, enjoyed the match, got a bit blurry eyed when Sir Kev came on at HT and, to put the cherry on the cake, right in front of us, the streaker nearly took the wife's eye out with his mini didgeridoo. 

Memories are made of such days.

• Like 3