Old Trafford

Eddie

4 hours ago, Red Willow said:

It is just from Piccadilly Station towards Eccles and Alty. They run from St Peter's Square to Old Trafford and Deansgate/Castlefield for Eccles.

Cheers, I think we can get off at Oxford Rd station rather than Piccadilly, so closer to St Peters, and find somewhere else for beers. 2 of the group don't walk anywhere, so a hike from Cloudwater won't happen

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

Cheers, I think we can get off at Oxford Rd station rather than Piccadilly, so closer to St Peters, and find somewhere else for beers. 2 of the group don't walk anywhere, so a hike from Cloudwater won't happen

There is a replacement bus running from under the arches at the back of the station (near the taxi rank) to Deansgate. Don't let the fool of a bus driver convince you that the place he stops for St Peter's Square is anywhere near!

22 hours ago, Gomersall said:

I thought those Italians were good with trains? 🤔

never been as good since Mussolini was ousted.. say what you like but the trains ran on time... :kolobok_ph34r:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

So despite feeling like it was the end of the world last week, I think I will go to the game after all. Might get train, might drive, it depends on getting stuff done tomorrow. 

Going by myself so not going to do much other than see the game (s) then go home. 

Yeah, shoot me for hypocrisy but there it is. 😁

No, its not hypocrisy. This is a world cup final.. you should want to go no matter what. The fact you don't is not on you IMHO. This should be a massive event and we need to get to that point. 

I'm there with the whole family, bought 2 years ago because it's the world cup final and think my son (14) and daughter (11) should go to these events... just wish it was more of an event... 

Edited by RP London

12 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

So despite feeling like it was the end of the world last week, I think I will go to the game after all. Might get train, might drive, it depends on getting stuff done tomorrow. 

Going by myself so not going to do much other than see the game (s) then go home. 

Yeah, shoot me for hypocrisy but there it is. 😁

Hope you enjoy it mate. It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks, and I'd be surprised if anyone was critical of you going to the match! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Hope you enjoy it mate. It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks, and I'd be surprised if anyone was critical of you going to the match! 

Thanks.

Yeah and ultimately it doesn't matter if anyone did, It's just funny how I was certain I wasn't interested in going anymore....and yet here I am. 😁😁 I think it's a case that Samoa will give it 100% but the Aussies will be just too good. 

I'm literally going to be going to the game then going home (driving) which is unusual as I enjoy having a few drinks in Manchester. But I'll still enjoy it all the same. Probably with the added bonus of not wanting a pee 10 minutes before HT. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skinnywinger said:

Yes theres a large one in one of the corners and another one behind the goal I think, it's all shown on the ticketing map. 

We’re in the corner one and for whatever reason I’ve got a weird hunch that it will be used as seating rather than standing. Just as a final flourish for most of the other stuff that’s happened in this tournament 😂 

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

We’re in the corner one and for whatever reason I’ve got a weird hunch that it will be used as seating rather than standing. Just as a final flourish for most of the other stuff that’s happened in this tournament 😂 

It was sold as a safe standing area so that should t be the case. Also, it’s rail seating, so you can just stand and lean against the barrier if you want. 

11 hours ago, philipw said:

It was sold as a safe standing area so that should t be the case. Also, it’s rail seating, so you can just stand and lean against the barrier if you want. 

Worked fine tbf. And bloody hell if England were invited it would have been limbs everywhere 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

You wouldnt have known there was a world cup final on walking around Manchester yesterday. Nothing to tell folks what was happening.

What would have satisfied you, especially given the final wasn't in Manchester?

• Haha 2

I was on the train with Danny Brough on the way there and on the tram with John Kear coming away from the ground. A good trip for those with fond memories of the 2005 Challenge Cup final.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Picked up my old man, drove to Sale Water Park, jumped on the Metrolink (£6.20 return for the pair of us), free parking for tram users and jumped on the tram to Trafford bar. Worked like a dream and only waited about 10mins max at the other end to get back after the trophy presentation etc. 

Were in the safe standing at the very back corner of the South Stand (Bobby Charlton) where it joins the East Stand - it seems this is the away section for football and everyone did stand which would be my preference anyway.

I have to say we had a terrific day. I wish the women's game had been a bit tighter but no criticism there, the Aussies were just too good and the men's final was similar albeit on a lot less of a scale. Getting behind Samoa (like everyone else did) was a real buzz and I was delighted they did get over a couple of times. Their efforts after that first game have been superb this last month. 

As I said on here after the Warrington QF, I have loved this tournament. Finances dictated I was lucky enough to do five live games at five different venues but given unlimited money I would have done more.  Some crowds maybe were disappointing but others weren't and all the games being on the BBC has meant work colleagues who don't follow the game, have done. 

One fella got hooked in by the Fijian hymn in their opening game v Aus, made a point of watching all their games, and was genuinely gutted at them losing late on in the QF v NZ.

The upshot of this is he is coming and bringing his daughter to England v France at Warrington in April.

This is a tiny sample size and is anecdotal but I do think the TV coverage has been crucial in reaching new potential fans (he is a Walsall FC season ticket holder who has never attended an RL game in person but loves sport and goes to cricket as well as football). 

I also realise I have drifted off topic and this may be in the wrong thread now 

To sum up in terms of Old Trafford though, had a great day yesterday, would definitely go safe standing again there, public transport worked well...but the PA system in the back corner of the Bobby Charlton Stand is awful. Probably the Glazers' fault that! 

• Like 4