Old Trafford

Eddie

On 20/11/2022 at 19:20, Dr Tim Whatley said:

We asked a steward for directions to our gate and rather than answer that question, she pointed to the bag my mate had (gumph like books and toys for his young son) and said "You won't be allowed to take that in". I said that wasn't an answer to the question I had asked and she said "Yes but you won't be able to take that bag in".

Anyway...did find a steward willing to tell us where we should head and when we got to the gate, they didn't even look in the bag and let my mate straight through.

I got frisked really thoroughly and so did my mates, never had that at a game before. The weird thing was I had a 5x3 foot Samoa flag stuffed in my pocket which he felt but didn’t ask what it was. 

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I got frisked really thoroughly and so did my mates, never had that at a game before. The weird thing was I had a 5x3 foot Samoa flag stuffed in my pocket which he felt but didn’t ask what it was. 

He probably knows what a Samoan flag looks like so wouldn't need your educational explanation.🇹🇼

I noticed in the ground conditions that you're not allowed to take bullet proof vests in and wondered why.

Has anyone tried to get in to a ground wearing a bullet proof vest and were they asked to remove it ?

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

24 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If you're coming from the South, there's loads of street parking in Stretford off the A56 (Chester Road) within a relatively short walk (and eyeshot) of Old Trafford.

Jaysus!

Don't tell everybody!!

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

21 minutes ago, Griff said:

He probably knows what a Samoan flag looks like so wouldn't need your educational explanation.🇹🇼

I noticed in the ground conditions that you're not allowed to take bullet proof vests in and wondered why.

Has anyone tried to get in to a ground wearing a bullet proof vest and were they asked to remove it ?

It was in my pocket and he didn’t get it out, if he knew it was a Samoa flag he should be on tv doing psychic tricks. 

Well you see what you want with regards to whether the Manchester city centre felt if there was a RLWC final about.

On approaching the tram, I saw the city centre tram station/halt/stop full of "hearty, fulsome" characters that only exists in RL. For me it was clear RL was in town.

When the varied RL family emerges in the Shock City, it is always curious for me to witness the various  reactions for folk being in the "Big City."  Some take it in their stride, others appeared to be bewildered as if teleported into Mega-City One.

So massively impressed with the hop from that Wharfside tram stop. It makes it so easy to get in and out of the ground. Sadly Old Trafford looks fleabitten and rundown. Glazers Out!

20 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Well you see what you want with regards to whether the Manchester city centre felt if there was a RLWC final about.

On approaching the tram, I saw the city centre tram station/halt/stop full of "hearty, fulsome" characters that only exists in RL. For me it was clear RL was in town.

When the varied RL family emerges in the Shock City, it is always curious for me to witness the various  reactions for folk being in the "Big City."  Some take it in their stride, others appeared to be bewildered as if teleported into Mega-City One.

So massively impressed with the hop from that Wharfside tram stop. It makes it so easy to get in and out of the ground. Sadly Old Trafford looks fleabitten and rundown. Glazers Out!

Tbf yeah it’s a bit worn out but it’s perfect for rugby league, close to the pitch and steep sided, good views from anywhere and always generates a good atmosphere. Easy enough access on public transport from town too. I much prefer it to the Ethiad, even if the latter was big enough. 

Favourite moment of the day was the streaker going past the Bishops Blaize afterwards, still in his mankini, and receiving a massive standing ovation from everyone in the beer garden and road. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Haha 1

I had a great time and the atmosphere / stadium was great.  Beer is awful.  Carling or Carling.  We had the most obnoxious bunch of rah rah surgeons behind us, they turned up half an hour late and just talked constantly about Will Carling and how they hadn't watched any of the RL world cup at all.  Luckily i could move away.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

In addition to being frisked, we parked in the ground car park which was close to stadium... had a thorough security check of the car... mirror underneath and had to open the boot so they could check contents...   At the grand final even had sniffer dogs smelling around the car for explosives...

Nice to know they are serious...

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 1

On 22/11/2022 at 15:12, Eddie said:

Seems like there was some inconsistency in the approach, I guess to be expected when so many different people are working at the stadium.

The jobsworth steward certainly didn't ruin our day and gave us something to laugh about over a glass or three when we eventually got back to the hotel.

All told, definitely a trip I'll look back with fondness for many years to come.

• Like 1