1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/11/22 at 13:45

2 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I don’t disagree Leonard, I was just saying that the Jillaroos will dominate the women’s game certainly in the way the Kangaroos did in the 1970s to the 1990s IMO. 

I think athletically as athletes yes. I think it’s more to do with the state leagues as well. 

Nswrl and qrl both got 20 million each to run their programs for grassroots from nrl. 

nzrl got 250k from nrl for whatever reason. 

that isn’t a reflection of the women’s game but the whole game and I’m telling you the NZRL are broke. That’s essentially 40 million to 250k that tells you were light years apart in terms of being able to compete at grassroots level and international pathways. 

the way we circumvent this issue is aussie scouts take our talent and develop it in australia similar to nrl but yet again we will have the same issues as the men once women’s origin is viewed as the pinnacle and once our younger talent becomes eligible for origin you will see them then play for the jillaroos which again limits the kiwis to keeping their top talent. 

it’s an unfortunate reality but until some billionaire investor can give us 40 million a year to build our programs nothing much will change. 

we have the talent as you see with the black ferns but rugby league in nz is broke. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iceberg Slim said:

I think athletically as athletes yes. I think it’s more to do with the state leagues as well. 

Nswrl and qrl both got 20 million each to run their programs for grassroots from nrl. 

nzrl got 250k from nrl for whatever reason. 

that isn’t a reflection of the women’s game but the whole game and I’m telling you the NZRL are broke. That’s essentially 40 million to 250k that tells you were light years apart in terms of being able to compete at grassroots level and international pathways. 

the way we circumvent this issue is aussie scouts take our talent and develop it in australia similar to nrl but yet again we will have the same issues as the men once women’s origin is viewed as the pinnacle and once our younger talent becomes eligible for origin you will see them then play for the jillaroos which again limits the kiwis to keeping their top talent. 

it’s an unfortunate reality but until some billionaire investor can give us 40 million a year to build our programs nothing much will change. 

we have the talent as you see with the black ferns but rugby league in nz is broke. 

That's why they need to tour GB !

😃

6 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Yes - and fair play to them.

But, to me at least, smacks a bit of Ireland getting excited about winning a hurling or Gaelic football world cup.

However, it's up to other countries to play the women's game and to challenge them. But that could be decades away outside of England and NZ.

To be fair only Ireland play GAA games to any decent level AFAIA.

Bit presumptuous and hetero-normative for Troy Grant to be kissing all the Jillaroos on the cheeks as he presents the medals.

It might be a tad unwanted for bisexual or lesbian players such as Brigginshaw, who didn't seem all that keen as he pulled her towards him to plant a smacker on her cheek.

I think he should ask the players individually.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, StandOffHalf said:

Bit presumptuous and hetero-normative for Troy Grant to be kissing all the Jillaroos on the cheeks as he presents the medals.

It might be a tad unwanted for bisexual or lesbian players such as Brigginshaw, who didn't seem all that keen as he pulled her towards him to plant a smacker on her cheek.

It looked weird and uncomfortable 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

To be fair only Ireland play GAA games to any decent level AFAIA.

Completely agree. Women's RL is not much better off - albeit improving.

3 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Without going off topic, give over.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I'm not sure of the relevance of lesbian and bisexual players, but I did find it odd. 

Grant does appear to be tactile, he hugged all the wheelchair players last night. 

It did jar a bit tbh 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure of the relevance of lesbian and bisexual players, but I did find it odd. 

Grant does appear to be tactile, he hugged all the wheelchair players last night. 

It did jar a bit tbh 

Tactile, I like that word.

Despite being massive underdogs, I would love to see Emgland play the Jillaroos. A three match series would be great.

They didn't match the Kiwis power in the semi but I would love to see some of our athletes test themselves againt the best in the world.  

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Tactile, I like that word.

Sounds better than "gropey".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Iceberg Slim said:

Don’t have the money mate lol 

Hopefully we make money and pay you - but this is the RFL we would be relying upon.

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Hopefully we make money and pay you - but this is the RFL we would be relying upon.

We are massively dependant on the rfl and nrl to do anything. They are the only ones with professional leagues. Unfortunately as you can see we get hard a cent from the nrl for our grassroots programs and there’s no rules in place that we can get money from them when they scout in nz. It’s a free market and people will go where the money is just like the amount of kiwi expats in aus. It’s where the money is. 

Just now, Gomersall said:

Wasn’t he a friend of Snow White?

After Grumpy and Dopey accidentally stepped into the teleporter from The Fly, Snow White started to feel nostalgic for the days when all she had to worry about was an evil Witch-Queen.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sat near the Kiwi Ferns bench and after the game the captain Krystal Rota came up the stand to see her family.

She gave her little daughter - who has a serious health issue - what might be the longest hug in the history of the world. A mix of happiness to see her and the sadness of losing the match. It was so moving I felt like crying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1