South American RL Championships

1 minute ago, zylya said:

Imagine they'll be entirely amateur teams so it'll be to reduce the amount of time teams need to travel.

Pretty punishing for players, but the other option would likely require players taking significant time off work.

Agreed on your reasoning, but if that’s the case surely from a wellbeing perspective the IRL wouldn’t sanction it? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agreed on your reasoning, but if that’s the case surely from a wellbeing perspective the IRL wouldn’t sanction it? 

They are amateurs and it'll be quite low intensity, so why not, I would have done it (well maybe, 30 years ago).

They may of course have 26 player squads and 50% play in each game, though unlikely I know.

Or they could be Union players expecting a gentle plodding game, in which case they are in for one hell of a shock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, hw88 said:

I suspect a team of servicemen based in the Falklands would wallop the lot of them. Why aren't they in it? 'Heritage' and all that.

It's more of a festival than a continental championship. 

If it’s the best players from the three countries that play RL then it is a continental championship, regardless of the standard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When you do it for the love of the game , you would play 3 times a week and train the other 4 . When you become professional it's all sports science. Player agents and clubs get involved and claim player fatigue.

Back in the 80s , beers and a cigarette  was a half time motivation. 

Let the lads rip in .

#GoColombia 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, tommyace said:

When you do it for the love of the game , you would play 3 times a week and train the other 4 . When you become professional it's all sports science. Player agents and clubs get involved and claim player fatigue.

Back in the 80s , beers and a cigarette  was a half time motivation. 

Let the lads rip in .

#GoColombia 

Wally Lewis went off injured in the 1988 WC final and is shown sat on the bench with a fag in his hand. 😂

Edited by Gomersall
  • Thanks 1

On 16/11/2022 at 12:16, hw88 said:

I suspect a team of servicemen based in the Falklands would wallop the lot of them. Why aren't they in it?

Because the South American teams don't want them?

Because the Falkland islands don't play rugby league and never gave done?

Take your pick. Who cares?

All the best to the teams, organisers and supporters of this tournament.

If we didn't have trailblazing people like you our soon to be completed World Cup would still be a 4 team tournament that hadn't evolved from 1954. 

See you at the 2045 RLWC celebration of 150th year of the code. 😊

• Thanks 2

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

5 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Because the South American teams don't want them?

Because the Falkland islands don't play rugby league and never gave done?

Take your pick. Who cares?

I care.

Why would the South Americans not want them? Argentina perhaps but not the rest.

True with a population of around 3000 the Falklands are unlikely to be a RL hotbed. However with all the servicemen there I'm sure a team could be put together. They could play in an 'invitational' capacity. It would expose the South Americans to a team versed in RL skills and tactics which would be useful for their development.

55 minutes ago, hw88 said:

I care.

Why would the South Americans not want them? Argentina perhaps but not the rest.

True with a population of around 3000 the Falklands are unlikely to be a RL hotbed. However with all the servicemen there I'm sure a team could be put together. They could play in an 'invitational' capacity. It would expose the South Americans to a team versed in RL skills and tactics which would be useful for their development.

Perhaps this " Invitational " team would be best served to help grow the game in South America through coaching clinics and trial matches. 

I'm sure those trying to promote the game and raise the standards would appreciate it.

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

1 hour ago, hw88 said:

I care.

From a post-colonial and political perspective, this would create an opportunity for the Argentinians (not least their RU) to do some rabble rousing and likely destroy RL in the whole of South America. 

Apart from that:

The Falkland garrison is c1200 troops and none serve 3 years there so wouldn't qualify under IRL residency rules.

This is a WC qualifying tournament, you cannot have invitational teams with no IRL accreditation competing.

The cost of such a weekend tour would probably pay for a full-time development officer for 10 years in every South American country.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1