South American RL Championships

9 hours ago, Pulga said:

Yep. That's the worst part. 

I know the nations I've been involved with have basically been ignored until they become observer members at a cost many times the average yearly wage and then the IRL turns a blind eye to the more affluent countries.

I honestly don't know why any new nations would take up rugby league. I'd recommend staying in union if that's where they are.

Very sorry to hear that. Is the Central American development still going on? 

4 hours ago, Iceberg Slim said:

Can you expand on some of the details to becoming observer members? It saddens me to think other nations are genuinely trying to develop the game yet those nations that are doing nothing are getting premium opportunities such as World Cup spots based off primarily heritage players I would rather a South Africa Brazil Jamaica etc than a Scotland Ireland Italy to represent at the World Cup. Those nations have been to the last 3 world cups and nothing has changed for the game domestically in those countries. 

I don't want to suggest other nations are doing nothing. Anyone that has anything to do with an emerging or developing nation knows how much of a time/money drain it is and how thankless it mostly is.

To become an observer member you actually don't need much. One of the things you do need is a bank account in the name of your non-profit or association. The problem is in some countries that is extremely difficult. Here I could start a non-profit and open a bank account in no time and little expense. But, for example in El Salvador that requires government recognition which means lawyers and fees. The more corrupt the country it seems the harder this is because everyone has their hand out.

The IRL doesn't want to know about you until you are an observer member which to me seems a perverse initiation. It's simply much harder for some nations than other through no fault of their own.

Even when you become a member I don't think there is anywhere near the payoff compared to the cost involved.

• Sad 1

new rise.jpg

24 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Very sorry to hear that. Is the Central American development still going on? 

It is but extremely slowly. There are delegates from El Salvador at this Championship learning how to referee.

Unfortunately, barring El Salvador it's only me doing anything with Central America so it reflects my life at any given time. Right now I don't have the time or funds to do much at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

new rise.jpg

45 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I don't want to suggest other nations are doing nothing. Anyone that has anything to do with an emerging or developing nation knows how much of a time/money drain it is and how thankless it mostly is.

To become an observer member you actually don't need much. One of the things you do need is a bank account in the name of your non-profit or association. The problem is in some countries that is extremely difficult. Here I could start a non-profit and open a bank account in no time and little expense. But, for example in El Salvador that requires government recognition which means lawyers and fees. The more corrupt the country it seems the harder this is because everyone has their hand out.

The IRL doesn't want to know about you until you are an observer member which to me seems a perverse initiation. It's simply much harder for some nations than other through no fault of their own.

Even when you become a member I don't think there is anywhere near the payoff compared to the cost involved.

Thank you for that explanation. Wow I find that very disheartening that the IRL can be quite difficult in those situations where there is potential corruption in other countries. There should be leniencies placed on those nations and an understanding of the fact that it isn’t that easy in some countries. They have lawyers and accountants etc in their board I’m scratching my head as to why one of their paid board member wouldn’t be able to help in these situations. 

Again Rugby League is its own worst enemy as much I distain union you’re right why wouldn’t they just stick to it with all the loopholes involved. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Pulga said:

It is but extremely slowly. There are delegates from El Salvador at this Championship learning how to referee.

Unfortunately, barring El Salvador it's only me doing anything with Central America so it reflects my life at any given time. Right now I don't have the time or funds to do much at all.

Have they given you a timeline as to when the next lot of funding may be coming? 

3 minutes ago, Pulga said:

There is none.

Sorry to hear mate. You’re a like a rogue missionary spreading the gospel with no backing of the Vatican. I hope it isn’t too isolating for you. I myself respect you and others who are pioneers of our game globally but it is sad to hear things as you mentioned. 

2 minutes ago, Iceberg Slim said:

Sorry to hear mate. You’re a like a rogue missionary spreading the gospel with no backing of the Vatican. I hope it isn’t too isolating for you. I myself respect you and others who are pioneers of our game globally but it is sad to hear things as you mentioned. 

Thanks for cheering me up mate. The Vatican 😂

Unfortunately I don't really have any answers on how to change the game at the IRL level.

I think they do so many things wrong it's hard to start.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

10 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Based on your experience, what do you think the IRL will do with the money from the bid fee they were reportedly paid up front by the organizers of this latest World Cup?

Probably the same thing they did with the 2013 money. Not a great deal.

I'd love an inquiry into their finances. I'd say there would be some eye opening ledger items.

Full members were getting $20k a year from the then RLIF for a while. I think that paused at least with COVID. Imagine giving Australia and England 20k and then not being able to provide balls to new nations.

I know what we won't see: development officers. Jamaica has had the only paid employee ever in the Americas. We can see the direct results of that. 

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Colombia may have fielded an ineligible player (Andrew Zuluaga who played for the USA earlier in the year).

Unless that USA v Canada game was not IRL sanctioned. I'm not sure.

new rise.jpg

5 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Looks like Colombia may have fielded an ineligible player (Andrew Zuluaga who played for the USA earlier in the year).

Unless that USA v Canada game was not IRL sanctioned. I'm not sure.

I’d have thought the USA v Canada game was sanctioned seeing as the US only used players from the USARL teams. It won’t effect that much though will it?

1 minute ago, Gomersall said:

I’d have thought the USA v Canada game was sanctioned seeing as the US only used players from the USARL teams. It won’t effect that much though will it?

My thoughts too.

Colombia lost both games so there's no results to overturn. 

Should a nation only be "punished" if they win though?

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

23 minutes ago, Pulga said:

My thoughts too.

Colombia lost both games so there's no results to overturn. 

Should a nation only be "punished" if they win though?

I agree but you can only “punish” Colombia with a warning or a points reduction at the next tournament IMO. There’s no point in trying to fine an organisation that doesn’t have any money.

• Like 2