England v France Double Header in Warrington - mid-season 2023

12 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Why Warrington? Not central, had criticism during the WC for crowds, won't attract anyone new. Lazy.

Maybe Warrington are the only ones willing to host it? Who knows, but its a good stadium in an easy to travel to area. I dont think theres much wrong with it.

• Like 1

The positives:

- It's a proper international opponent

- The details are available before the end of the World Cup

The negatives:

- Pretty much everything else

• Like 9

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Almost nobody is moaning about any of those things.

Yes we have. There's been plenty of posts saying we should be playing France mid season. There has been a lot about WC tickets being to expensive, posts regarding not knowing when England are next playing on home soil and posts saying we should capatalise on the WC profile by announcing international fixtures 

7 minutes ago, Midlands hobo said:

Is this challenge cup quarter finals weekend? If so what happens if Catalan are still in you'll have 2 under strength teams

Don't know if it clashed with the CC dates but even if its a 'free weekend' there's a good chance that Saints will be playing Huddersfield on that free weekend as the rearranged Round 1 fixture. So no Saints or Huddersfield players will be available for England or France mens teams.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Maybe Warrington are the only ones willing to host it? Who knows, but its a good stadium in an easy to travel to area. I dont think theres much wrong with it.

I think that's it. It's a safe choice. Do we need to be safe in the aftermath of a World Cup that thousands of new fans have seen and thought 'this is quite good'? Or is this the moment to be trying to capture that new audience in somewhere a bit different?

I would like to say the latter but we know the RFL orthodoxy is to spend £7 and raise revenues of £7.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

Yes we have. There's been plenty of posts saying we should be playing France mid season. There has been a lot about WC tickets being to expensive, posts regarding not knowing when England are next playing on home soil and posts saying we should capatalise on the WC profile by announcing international fixtures 

I meant in this thread. I'm happy enough we are playing France. I don't think we should be doing somersaults about us booking a fixture at six months' notice but I'm glad that we have.

I'm underwhelmed by the venue and the double header set up. 

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, dkw said:

It's underperformed in the RLWC in spite of all that, though.

Hopefully that won't happen here.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

56 minutes ago, Jughead said:

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/61243/england-men-and-women-to-face-france-in-april-double-header

Same old, really. Positive is it’s an actual international game not a rep game. 

REJOICE! YOU CAN PICK YOUR SEAT!!!

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The positives:

- It's a proper international opponent

- The details are available before the end of the World Cup

The negatives:

- Pretty much everything else

One more. Bit quicker than usual being in April, normally we’d be waiting until June

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

That'd be fantastic. PDRL and wheelchair rl have been the highlights of the RLWC.

As. Separate. Events.

• Like 3

Brentford community stadium in London, Coventry stadium, the Riverside in Middlesbrough or somewhere a bit more left field than a venue which already hosts dozens of RL matches a season would have been my choice.

As ever there are many factors but this is the safe choice lacking in ambition.

At least it is a proper international however and perhaps they have something more substantial planned for a post season international or series.

• Like 1

I don't understand what the objection within the RFL is to playing in France? Maybe its the French who don't want to host, i honestly don't know. Maybe theres no objection and they just want to play the games in the UK.

But I think this fixture will only grow by hosting it in France for at least the first 3-4 years. If not longer.

And to be honest i don't think hosting it outside the heartlands, initially, will have the desired effect either

Great that England have a game, and great France do to.. but still just feels like the point is being missed a bit, and the full opportunity not being grasped.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 3

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

That would have meant the RFL paying to travel to France though, and stay overnight 😱 

Ah yes. The RFL and SL model.

Make them come here and pay - and then wonder why they struggle to find funds to develop.

Meanwhile we will be 20 up by 20 mins in front of 7k and it will be a waste of time.

43 minutes ago, LongbridgeH said:

It’s strategic thinking but not radical enough. 

Take advantage of the hype by being a bit more daring with the venue.

Give the game some kind of placing - can we not commit to saying it’s an annual fixture or it’s going to be a 2 test series? 

Home and away would be more interesting.

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Ah yes. The RFL and SL model.

Make them come here and pay - and then wonder why they struggle to find funds to develop.

Meanwhile we will be 20 up by 20 mins in front of 7k and it will be a waste of time.

Didn't they win the second half against us in the last test we played against them?

33 minutes ago, Coastal_Geordie said:

Brentford community stadium in London, Coventry stadium, the Riverside in Middlesbrough or somewhere a bit more left field than a venue which already hosts dozens of RL matches a season would have been my choice.

As ever there are many factors but this is the safe choice lacking in ambition.

At least it is a proper international however and perhaps they have something more substantial planned for a post season international or series.

Why Coventry out of interest?