Nene McDonald to Leeds

Damien

31 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Should Image Leigh got a good wedge of cash out of it too.

Huge fella and could do so much more damage. Defense very suspect but excellent attacking a high ball.

I wish him the very best !

Weren't Leigh over their overseas quota? Why would you pay a transfer fee if they had to get rid of him anyway? Also, if they were over their limit I don't see how his contract would have been enforceable against McDonald if they couldn't legally play him anyway.

6 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Weren't Leigh over their overseas quota? Why would you pay a transfer fee if they had to get rid of him anyway? Also, if they were over their limit I don't see how his contract would have been enforceable against McDonald if they couldn't legally play him anyway.

If that was the case then any overseas quota player would of been able to leave on a free, I would like to think a hand was shaken in this deal.

6 minutes ago, Leigh-On-Kiwi said:

If that was the case then any overseas quota player would of been able to leave on a free, I would like to think a hand was shaken in this deal.

I thought they were one player over the limit so whoever left first should have been fee-free. Perhaps Leeds badly wanted Nene so they paid to ensure he was the one released? If another club had signed one of the other overseas quota first, there would have been no need to let Nene go. I imagine some other clubs would have been interested in Ipape or even Ferguson. At his best, Ferguson can be a real bums-on-seats attraction.

7 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I thought they were one player over the limit so whoever left first should have been fee-free. Perhaps Leeds badly wanted Nene so they paid to ensure he was the one released? If another club had signed one of the other overseas quota first, there would have been no need to let Nene go. I imagine some other clubs would have been interested in Ipape or even Ferguson. At his best, Ferguson can be a real bums-on-seats attraction.

They were one player over the limit. If one hadn't got a permanent move, then Leigh would've had to offload someone on loan, probably on a fortnightly basis, and likely to a championship club they partnered with. Would've been inpractical, and no good for the players in question and not much good to the coaches who wouldn't know who was available to pick week by week.

My guess would be no transfer fee, but also no pay off to the player either. Must've seen the move coming when they signed Luetele and Hardaker.

8 hours ago, Leigh-On-Kiwi said:

Leigh can only "move on" players that other clubs are willing to take.

The alternative is that if Leigh do have to offload a player due to the quota (and I've heard conflicting stories on this one), and can't find a willing rival, then they have to negotiate a release with one of their players - and the cost of that settlement counts against the salary cap. 

8 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I think Ipape and Ferguson may well cause some damage next season. 

As good as MacDonald can be, those 2 are more important to Leigh i guess.

Great move for Ronald though!

Edited by Tim Streets tache

10 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I will be shocked if DB hasn't got a little compensation on this deal.

12 hours ago, Farmduck said:

One overseas out on loan each week was what we had planned, also has either club confirmed this as RL 'journos' do have an habit of shooting too quickly

Edited by sweaty craiq

20 hours ago, Patx71 said:

Good luck to Neme, but he doesn't look a super league player to me. 

As being someone who actually watched him perform in nearly all the games Nene played for Leigh this past season, let me please give my personal assessment about him, he came to the club - a second division RL Championship club - from the NRL as a seasoned 27 year old player who presumably could not get a contract back home, his early season form was nothing short of spectacular with ball in hand, not so much defensively, but being fair playing in that team in the Championship should not have been to hard - with the exception of playing against Fev, as the season progressed that early season form dipped and carried on going down performing in a Leigh shirt up untill his WC performances which I am sure had his name not been recognisable people would not have known who he was.

I am not surprised that if he is leaving Leigh, that of all the non-fed trained he is the one that the club will let go, and if they can get a transfer fee for him after his commiting and signing for the club then even better still - was signing him knowing he was in demand by our games richest club a planned move? if not he will still not cost Leigh a penny in signing him.

I wish the lad all the best but I still see him as a winger, can Rohan Smith get better out of him than Adrian Lam - who I should imagine is revered by every PNG player I just don't know, one thing is for certain though he will not find life at the Rhino's any easier than he had at Leigh last season.

• Like 1