FIFA World Cup 2022 sweep..anyone?!?!

16 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

In group A we shall certainly say goodbye to The Masked Poster today with Gerumonsideref the marginal favourite to join them although tonyXIII will be a tad nervous.

Profuse apologies to Gerumonsideref as his Lions mercilessly dumped tonyXIII's Equator habiting losers out of the comp.

• Thanks 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

RoyBoy295 takes the lead v ckn.

• Like 1

HKR Away Days now developing a bit of a sulk after falling 2 zip behind to Harry Stottle.

8 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

We are lions, hear us roar! 🦁 

Could be England’s next opponent to in the knockout stage too.

An all lion derby in the offing

Looking that way mate.

Today's fixtures sees :

Ullman v Mumby Magic

Rage v Kenilworth Tiger

Both in Group D

And :

amm v Gomersall

Old Frightful v HawkMan

Both in Group C.

In Group D, Ullman's chances to go any further in the WC look bleak against Mumby Magic who's team is possibly the form team in the comp so it looks like Rage only needs to avoid defeat against Kenny Tiger's lot to go through. Easier said than done though, I reckon.

The Group C supposed heavyweights amm and Gomersall play each other knowing they have to win to be absolutely sure of qualifying with the threat of Old Frightful's mighty camels snapping at their heels. In spite of being at the foot of the table, HawkMan's lot would still qualify if they beat OF's camels and amm's team win also.

• Like 1

Today's fixtures seem to be following a more familiar pattern as girlyball goes...both into the second half and both 0-0...

27 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Today's fixtures seem to be following a more familiar pattern as girlyball goes...both into the second half and both 0-0...

Your motivation for running this sweepstake is a bit obscure to say the least. I've been in sweepstakes over the years for football,  grand national, even darts, but never one organised by someone with no liking or respect for the sport in question.  You've encouraged posters who normally couldn't care less about football to watch it . I have a feeling you won't repeat this for the Union WC next year.  I'm not complaining,  far from it, thanks for organising it, but why you have is a mystery.

Edited by HawkMan

Just now, HawkMan said:

Your motivation for running this sweepstake is a bit obscure to say the least. I've been in sweepstakes over the years for football,  grand national, even darts, but never one organised by someone with no liking or respect for the sport in question.  You've encouraged posters who normally wouldn't care less about football to watch it . I have a feeling you won't repeat this for the Union WC next year.  I'm not complaining,  far from it, thanks for organising it, but why you have is a mystery.

Just to make it a bit more interesting for people who otherwise wouldn't give it the time of day I suppose. I have done them a couple of times in the past on this forum and they went down reasonably well, this year's was a bit of a challenge to get the numbers but we just about managed it. And, of course it is the off season in RL so it's a reason for people to visit the forum during weeks when they might not otherwise have done so.

And you're perfectly correct, I wouldn't dream of doing a sweep for the RUWC next year. For a start, I had no idea it was taking place, and secondly, just their calling it the "Rugby World Cup" without feeling the need to differentiate between the two rugby codes shows contempt for the oldest Rugby World Cup in existence, the Rugby League World Cup.

I hope that clears it up a bit and it was very kind of you to show your appreciation, thank you.

But why you did is a mystery!...🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

And as usual the forum poster's curse strikes, it's now :

Ullman 1 v 0 Mumby Magic 

Rage 1 v 0 Kenilworth Tiger

So if it stays as it is, Mumby Magic and Rage will progress.

Final scores :

Ullman 1 v 0 Mumby Magic after a VAR disallowed MM goal at the death.

Mumby Magic and Rage progress.

27 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I hope that clears it up a bit and it was very kind of you to show your appreciation, thank you.

But why you did is a mystery!...🤣🤣🤣

Just mind games ahead of our TITANIC clash tonight. 🤣

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Just mind games ahead of our TITANIC clash tonight. 🤣

You'll be sunk without trace...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Final scores :

Ullman 1 v 0 Mumby Magic after a VAR disallowed MM goal at the death.

Mumby Magic and Rage progress.

Australia bursting my bubble in a World Cup has a familiar feeling to it.

• Haha 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Poland hanging on and only our disciplinary is keeping us in 

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

30 minutes ago, amm said:

Poland hanging on and only our disciplinary is keeping us in 

Looks like you're gonna finish exactly the same as...but no...the mighty camels score!

My lot have done you a favour.

Stoopid bloody sweepstake anyway!

Which dick thought of it....😡

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Your motivation for running this sweepstake is a bit obscure to say the least. I've been in sweepstakes over the years for football,  grand national, even darts, but never one organised by someone with no liking or respect for the sport in question.  You've encouraged posters who normally couldn't care less about football to watch it . I have a feeling you won't repeat this for the Union WC next year.  I'm not complaining,  far from it, thanks for organising it, but why you have is a mystery.

Possibly, not quite sure though, hes done it because it might be  fun.  🤔

Edited by JohnM

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

One who doesn't always read his messages?

A very good point!

For those of you taking part in this sweepstake that still have an interest, unlike me ☹️, John M has very kindly added to the list of potential prizes by offering another interesting looking RL book : "The Rugby League Miscellany" by David Lawrenson. I have to admit this is one I've never heard of but may well have to source myself as it has good reviews and you can never read enough RL stuff can you?

Anyways, thanks once again John, may the mighty Ghana go forth and prosper!

On to todays fixtures :

Group F

Roy Boy v Maximus Decimus

Matt Santos v bobbruce

After scoring their first ever World Cup goal the other day, we'll be saying goodbye to Matt Santos's lot today. Maximus Decimus needs an unlikely win over Roy Boy to have any hope of progressing to the next stage.

Group E

George Watt v Tommygilf

Native New Yorker v Lowedesert

A fair few permutations in this group with not one team assured of safety yet. A draw for Tommygilf would see him through and if that happened, in the other game any win for Native New Yorker would see them qualify but Lowedesert would need a win by at least two goals to prevail. A win for George Watt v Tommygilf and he's in the knock out stages and would leave the latter looking anxiously for a Lowedesert win as long as it's not a rout.

I hope I've got the maths correct there and also hope that Lowedesert won't mind me suggesting it would be hilarious if his lot fall short.

7 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

On to todays fixtures :

Group F

Matt Santos v bobbruce

After scoring their first ever World Cup goal the other day, we'll be saying goodbye to Matt Santos's lot today. Maximus Decimus needs an unlikely win over Roy Boy to have any hope of progressing to the next stage.

Group E

George Watt v Tommygilf

A fair few permutations in this group with not one team assured of safety yet. A draw for Tommygilf would see him through and if that happened, in the other game any win for Native New Yorker would see them qualify but Lowedesert would need a win by at least two goals to prevail. A win for George Watt v Tommygilf and he's in the knock out stages and would leave the latter looking anxiously for a Lowedesert win as long as it's not a rout.

I hope I've got the maths correct there and also hope that Lowedesert won't mind me suggesting it would be hilarious if his lot fall short.

Yep. Spain need a point or more to guarantee top, and are still likely to go through in second place even with a loss.

Germany, barring another calamity, should beat Costa Rica. But both could still qualify as group winners with a win (Germany would need a massive goal swing though). 

Japan have to start by playing to win, but Spain could punish them, so they need to be careful.

20 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

On to todays fixtures :

Group F

Matt Santos v bobbruce

Group E

George Watt v Tommygilf

Banzai! Banzai! Banzai!   

Japan march on but what performances from the 3 teams representing the Asian Group B.( Australia Japan and Saudi Arabia). The latter nearly made it into the knockout matches with the other 2.