Trouble down in Llanelli?

A mate of mine was contracted down there last year, he didn’t speak fondly of operations in the week when I caught him to see how things were going. 

”No more money going in, they were very reluctant to pay any of us back end of last year.”

”Tiff (Peter Tiffin) had enough I think, all about his bar now”

”Not a thing (have you heared from them?) so am going to have a go up at ***** (L1 club)”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearman said:

£15,000 is pretty much what a team like Skolars will get in central funding, I suspect. Appreciate they did wrong and should get punished but that’s a real blow. 

Also, is it right that someone gets banned for twelve months for “unacceptable language” yet a player who used unacceptable language, and was believed to have used a racial term, gets an eight game ban?

10 minutes ago, Jughead said:

£15,000 is pretty much what a team like Skolars will get in central funding, I suspect. Appreciate they did wrong and should get punished but that’s a real blow. 

Also, is it right that someone gets banned for twelve months for “unacceptable language” yet a player who used unacceptable language, and was believed to have used a racial term, gets an eight game ban?

Or one that uses derogatory abusive language on a pitch gets off on a technicality?

Sadly this happens a lot in RL.

If the RFL or IMG or whoever is in charge of the sport these days want it to succeed or even survive in West/South Wales they have to put somebody in authority down there. If there is, as appears, no interest in semi-pro RL then pull the plug and leave the game to the amateurs who appear to be managing OK. It seems obvious to any outsider that things are no better - probably a lot worse - than they were when they launched their umpteenth incarnation via South Wales Scorpions/Ironmen.  There's no shame in trying - but there is in doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Like every expansionist I want the Raiders to grow and flourish but I'm not sure it will happen under the present set-up.

16 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Yeah it seems way out of line for a League 1 club. Proportionally speaking it's like a SL club being fined £1.5 million.

• Like 3

On 18/11/2022 at 16:07, corkonian77 said:

They play  mostly  Welsh players unlike  the other Welsh based team.

And your point is? Have a look at the rugby playing demographic of South Wales compared to North...

Lets hope WWR are not in trouble, lots of dedicated people trying to keep a League 1 club going in Llanelli.

Edited by gogledd

13 hours ago, Damien said:

Yeah it seems way out of line for a League 1 club. Proportionally speaking it's like a SL club being fined £1.5 million.

Probably needs another thread but ask yourself what might be the consequences of not having suitably trained medical staff at a professional sports game. With that in mind it seems appropriate 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Probably needs another thread but ask yourself what might be the consequences of not having suitably trained medical staff at a professional sports game. With that in mind it seems appropriate 

It's a question of proportionality. No matter what Wigan or Leeds do they'll not be getting a fine of £1.5 million.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's a question of proportionality. No matter what Wigan or Leeds do they'll not be getting a fine of £1.5 million.

If there didn't seem to be an issue with the RFL and medical cover more broadly (Women's Super League games being pulled for example) I'd be saying that Skolars should count themselves lucky that it's *only* £15,000. Multiple breaches and not filing medical reports doesn't smack of taking the issue seriously enough.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

To pull this thread back on topic - what's needed is for the RFL to give WWR a deadline to state their intentions or they're out. Clubs in L1 need to have the uncertainty ended so they can finalise their planning for the new season.

Unless I've missed something, nobody at WWR have said there is any uncertainty about them competing next year. It is just speculation based on their less than stellar off season preparations (which are the same every year).

If there is a risk of them not making the season, then they need to inform the RFL, otherwise everything is as normal (normal for WWR) and the RFL aren't going to require anything from them beyond what is required from the other clubs.

I agree that if WWR say they are at risk then the RFL should have questions, but as things stand that doesn't seem to be the case. The RFL should maybe set/raise minimum standards for running a League 1 club (which WWR, like everyone else, would have to meet), but that is a different matter. 

11 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Unless I've missed something, nobody at WWR have said there is any uncertainty about them competing next year. It is just speculation based on their less than stellar off season preparations (which are the same every year).

If there is a risk of them not making the season, then they need to inform the RFL, otherwise everything is as normal (normal for WWR) and the RFL aren't going to require anything from them beyond what is required from the other clubs.

I agree that if WWR say they are at risk then the RFL should have questions, but as things stand that doesn't seem to be the case. The RFL should maybe set/raise minimum standards for running a League 1 club (which WWR, like everyone else, would have to meet), but that is a different matter. 

Their head coach is suspended from all rl activity for four months… players won’t commit unless they know the coach is decent and able to to do a job and if ash isn’t available and there’s not exactly a slew of candidates to step in or take over… not looking good sadly…

14 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Regarding the grading IMG are putting in place, is it fair to have well run Championship clubs, who aren’t at Grade B level lumped into the same bundle of clubs as West Wales who are semi-professional in name only?

There is a chance - I’d say a pretty good chance - that some clubs won’t reach the criteria for the lowest grading.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I would think most league fans want to see a successful South Wales club and its sad to see what is happening down there, Would a better option be for the RFL  to  own/run a club in South Wales?,

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There is a chance - I’d say a pretty good chance - that some clubs won’t reach the criteria for the lowest grading.

I thought it was A, B or C? Have I missed that they’re going to have “uncategorised” or the like?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I thought it was A, B or C? Have I missed that they’re going to have “uncategorised” or the like?

Even the bottom one will surely still have standards.

50 minutes ago, owls said:

I would think most league fans want to see a successful South Wales club and its sad to see what is happening down there, Would a better option be for the RFL  to  own/run a club in South Wales?,

I like the belief you have in the RFLs ability to organise a team in another country. They appear to neglect Manchester where they have offices.

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

It is indeed just a standard off season for WWR. It shows they aren't learning anything year to year but that's par for the course as far they are concerned. 

19 hours ago, Jughead said:

TBF Feel more than a bit of sympathy for Ash Bateman 

I was at the WWR game in question(following the Hurricanes) and due to the amount of inconsistencies (on both sides) coming from the officials that ruined the game as a spectacle ,It could quite happily been 90% of people in Steboneth Park that matchday who were banned for unacceptable language that day  .......myself and most of the Canes Support included 🙄 

Edited by Rach
  • Haha 1