Why can't we discuss Leighs rebrand? (Merged Threads)

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

If it was your club, you might feel quite differently about other people doing it constantly though.

That's the way this stuff works.

We're all passionate about our own clubs, home towns, etc. We might mock them occasionally ourselves but will still get defensive about them when others have a go and perhaps don't know when to stop.

I guess im not as precious but each to their own (I’ve personally never posted anything derogatory about the town or anyone on here), I guess it will stop when the Leigh club stop posting hilariously bad stuff on Social Media

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, John Drake said:

If it was your club, you might feel quite differently about other people doing it constantly though.

We're all passionate about our own clubs, home towns, etc. We might mock them occasionally ourselves but will still get defensive about them when others have a go and perhaps don't know when to stop.

I'm not a Leigh fan, I support Featherstone so there's certainly a rivalry there, but I think this is exactly right.  Leigh get so much stick from some posters on here that I can see why they 'take umbrage'.  Unfortunately, there are one or two chaps who are now very easily wound up, so people love to do so.

Imagine if every time you walked into your favourite pub, you got personal comments from one or two punters, funny once or twice, but after a couple of months, you'd be rather fed up of it.

It's far easier to bear insults of your club when they are seen as one of the big boys.  I believe the phrase comedians use is 'punching down', it's not funny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, John Drake said:

repeat post

Edited by Tubby

50 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The latest locked thread (that's right, the latest one, in a seemingly never-ending series) was locked because it had drifted off topic into yet another oh-so-hilarious 'discussion' about Leigh, rather than the actual subject of the thread which was '2023 New Kits, Sponsors and Suppliers' - that means all of 'em, not just one club. 

It's worth remembering that when you look back at locked threads on here to find evidence of why they were locked, that a lot of the stuff that caused it to be locked will have been removed already in vain attempts to keep them open in the first place, before we as moderators eventually wave the white flag and give up.

Juts because you don't see people slagging each other off, doesn't mean they weren't slagging each other off before we intervened.

Then, when we do lock a thread, usually in despair, we get people moaning 'why can't we discuss x, y or zed on here' when the forum has been doing very little else but discuss x, y or zed till the cows (or in this case leopards) come home.

Imagine being stuck in a pub surrounded by people who want to repeat the same joke over and over and over again, and still think it's hilarious even when you've heard it a thousand times, until you eventually crack and beg them to stop for the sake of your sanity.

That's what being a moderator on here is like. 

While I get where your coming from, they keep changing the kit or branding so there is always something new to "discuss", that in itself is a discussion too.. its not our fault this is all happening, I think its fair to say we would all stop him doing it if we could, but while it's happening surely its up for discussion?

If someone doesn't want to do that and just stand in the pub throwing insults at a group then who do you throw out?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

I'm not a Leigh fan, I support Featherstone so there's certainly a rivalry there, but I think this is exactly right.  Leigh get so much stick from some posters on here that I can see why they 'take umbrage'.  Unfortunately, there are one or two chaps who are now very easily wound up, so people love to do so.

Imagine if every time you walked into your favourite pub, you got personal comments from one or two punters, funny once or twice, but after a couple of months, you'd be rather fed up of it.

It's far easier to bear insults of your club when they are seen as one of the big boys.  I believe the phrase comedians use is 'punching down', it's not funny.

To be fair.. if there were different doors you could go into the pub taking you to different areas and you could avoid it, would you keep going through the door that lead you to those people. Surely that would be a definition of madness..

There are plenty of threads I don't go on on the forum for plenty of reasons, sometimes it's because I know it'll wind me up. 

Edited by RP London
  • Like 2

I think Leigh fans are well within their rights to be miffed at their club having the mickey taken out of them.

I don't understand why that is grounds for locking discussions though. 

Surely things being tiresome isn't a lockable offence?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think Leigh fans are well within their rights to be miffed at their club having the mickey taken out of them.

I don't understand why that is grounds for locking discussions though. 

Surely things being tiresome isn't a lockable offence?

If I was a Leigh fan my 'miffedness' would be directed at the club to be honest.

Practically the whole of RL Social Media is taking the mick.

Maybe the answer is to have a lets take the mick out of Leighs new rebrand thread then the easily offended know not to enter! 😉

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

If I was a Leigh fan my 'miffedness' would be directed at the club to be honest.

Maybe the answer is to have a lets take the mick out of Leighs new rebrand thread then the easily offended know not to enter! 😉

Agreed. Other clubs have had rebrand and they are always lively topics, it's something a lot of people are interested in. 

If we go down the route of preventing repetition and rubbish jokes, we may as well all hand over our logins now 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Tim Streets tache said:

The 3rd and final home shirt......

rugby-vector-jersey-front-back-side-views-fully-editable-handmade-mesh-illustration-73999874.jpg

This is the back of the shirt, right?

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Haha 3

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I'm all for someone starting a best and worst RL mascots thread.

I'm old enough to remember Winston Wildboar at Bradford Northern.

Bring it on.

I'm old enough to remember his son Loz playing for York.

• Haha 1

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

34 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

"No Snowflakes Allowed"

49 minutes ago, RP London said:

To be fair.. if there were different doors you could go into the pub raking you to different areas and you could avoid it, would you keep going through the door that lead you to those people. Surely that would be a definition of madness..

There are plenty of threads I don't go on on the forum for plenty of reasons, sometimes it's because I know it'll wind me up. 

So avoid the idiots, allow them to carry on with their unpleasantness and don't do anything about them?  Fair enough, I think it's reasonable to expect people behave better.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tubby said:

So avoid the idiots, allow them to carry on with their unpleasantness and don't do anything about them?  Fair enough, I think it's reasonable to expect people behave better.

Most of the comments are light hearted and just micky taking, I’ve not seen anything thats been really unpleasant to anyone on here. Maybe it got deleted before i saw it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Most of the comments are light hearted and just micky taking, I’ve not seen anything thats been really unpleasant to anyone on here. Maybe it got deleted before i saw it.

As I said before, it's the constancy of it, non-stop, punching down.  It wears thin to the point that even the most innocuous comment becomes an issue.  Taken in isolation, I've no doubt that none of the mickey-taking would bother anyone, but when it's every day, at every opportunity, that's different.

We all take the mickey out of our friends, it's in our make-up, but personally, I believe punching down constantly at a club is the point.  I fully appreciate that they don't help themselves by getting wound up, but it's all a bit chicken and egg in that respect.

Just now, Tubby said:

As I said before, it's the constancy of it, non-stop, punching down.  It wears thin to the point that even the most innocuous comment becomes an issue.  Taken in isolation, I've no doubt that none of the mickey-taking would bother anyone, but when it's every day, at every opportunity, that's different.

We all take the mickey out of our friends, it's in our make-up, but personally, I believe punching down constantly at a club is the point.  I fully appreciate that they don't help themselves by getting wound up, but it's all a bit chicken and egg in that respect.

The key thing, to me anyway, is that people are responding to what Leigh are doing.

If Leigh had done a decent rebrand then the story would already have moved on. Instead, they've got some bloke wanging on about what is a jaguar, what is a leopard instead of having a working website.

And all of the responses are a lot friendlier than when Broncos rebranded as Quins RL.

• Like 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

I'd imagine the threads get locked because every one of them descends into petty squabbling within a couple of pages. This will likely go the same way.

What's wrong with petty squabbling?

That's why we are here.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The key thing, to me anyway, is that people are responding to what Leigh are doing.

If Leigh had done a decent rebrand then the story would already have moved on. Instead, they've got some bloke wanging on about what is a jaguar, what is a leopard instead of having a working website.

And all of the responses are a lot friendlier than when Broncos rebranded as Quins RL.

I don't disagree with the premis; as I say, it's the fact that the desire to pick on Leigh at every opportunity seems too strong for some.  Ultimately, it's nothing to do with me as fan of another club, but we're all RL fans and you'd think we'd be a bit nicer to one another.  God, I sound like a hippy....

Just now, Tubby said:

I don't disagree with the premis; as I say, it's the fact that the desire to pick on Leigh at every opportunity seems too strong for some.  Ultimately, it's nothing to do with me as fan of another club, but we're all RL fans and you'd think we'd be a bit nicer to one another.  God, I sound like a hippy....

Its not every opportunity, leigh themselves are presenting the opportunity for ridicule by what they are doing, oh and some of the Leigh fans are way more antagonistic on threads.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Just to add on the original (hilarious) thread, i pretty much got accused of lying about my profession by a few posters and even the owner of this website- i just found it pretty amusing and didn’t report anyone, mind you not sure what happens if you report the owner? 🙂

The idea of going onto an anonymous free BB voluntarily and then reading threads you don't agree with and then taking offence and reporting people for something you voluntarily subjected yourself to is hilarious.

Only in Leigh.