The TotalRL Forum WC of Shame (TRLWCS)

Noting @John Drake’s comments on the Leigh thread (open at the moment) about removed posts etc, I would love to see an end of year score or table of posts removed per person.

All poster’s with a minimum number of 100 annual posts that has had none of them removed for the year would be dubbed ”Best and Fairest” and then receive a vote in the Finals.

The ”Final 5” series would consist of the top 5 individuals with most removed posts who each give their individual pitch to save themselves from the title of TotalRL WC of Shame Champion. A rabid crowd of Best and Fairest could all air personal grievances against the Final 5 under strict ”Carte Blanche” freedom laws, where there will be no reprisal for any posts on the TRLWCS thread. Perhaps at the start of the Final 5 series, all removed posts will be reposted for context. Perhaps each Finalist gets their own profile thread where their annual performances can be reviewed together. 

The TRLWCS champion will be awarded to the poster receiving the most votes from the Best and Fairest where their reward of the ”Everlasting Axe of Termination” will be ceremoniously delivered by John Drake in video format streamed to a potential global audience of over 7 billion people, terminating their TRL account.

Something to think about as we lead into tonight’s RLWC Final.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

All poster’s with a minimum number of 100 

Something to think about as we lead into tonight’s RLWC Final.

This thread`s life will probably be short and tragic. So, might as well make hay while the sun isn`t shining to raise a point of grammar.

"Posters" is a plural noun. Why does the filter not pick up on the redundant possessive apostrophe?

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

This thread`s life will probably be short and tragic. So, might as well make hay while the sun isn`t shining to raise a point of grammar.

"Posters" is a plural noun. Why does the filter not pick up on the redundant possessive apostrophe?

Tell me about it. Is it the education systems? Why did we go over a thousand years in English without using apostrophes for plurals but suddenly in the last 5 years they seem mandatory? Is it autofill?

I first noticed this before the internet - well back in the mid 90s so it isn't a purely internet phenomenon. There was a very busy signwriter in my area whose work was unmistakable. He invented plural forms like mangoe's, tomato's, chicken's.

It drives me nuts and people say, "It doesn't matter as long as people know what the meaning is." Well yes that's true as long as bad spellers stick to occupations of zero consequence in our lives I would agree with that. But they don't. They take their sites/cites/sights and there/their/they're out into the public where decent, moral, hardworking people are constantly assaulted with it.

And don't get me started on people - predominantly Americans - who pronounce the plural of process as "processees." If a person was applying for admission to University or applying for some Immigration status then during (and at the completion of) that process they might be processees. Their other favourite one is biasees. This one is completely inane. If we accept axes and crises as a nod to their Greek via Latin etymology this doesn't explain biasees, from the French. Has a French speaker ever gone to a cafe and ordered baguettees or croissantees? I think not.

Meanwhile, back at the point of this thread, since the WC started, this forum has been borderline unusable, especially on any match discussion. When attempting to read any Match Thread involving Australia I kept paraphrasing Lloyd Bridges, "It looks like I picked the wrong week to quit heroin," or "It looks like I picked the wrong week to quit elephant tranquillisers," and so on.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

I once took Suzuki to task over a bike advert that used an unnecessary apostrophe and there marketing people said they did it because it looked better in the advert.

Personally, I think they should bring back the death penalty for that sort of stuff.

In any case, the competition should be about posts reported, not posts removed. More democratic,more inclusive, and more fun, too.👍

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 1

Sincere apologies for the pain and anguish inflicted on you both @unapologetic pedant and @Farmduck.

A sad auto correct error for the apostrophe on posters. Considering some of the auto correct decisions this phone makes, I can’t help but feel my predecessor had less familiarity with the language than your fine selves.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Tell me about it. Is it the education systems? Why did we go over a thousand years in English without using apostrophes for plurals but suddenly in the last 5 years they seem mandatory? Is it autofill?

I first noticed this before the internet - well back in the mid 90s so it isn't a purely internet phenomenon. There was a very busy signwriter in my area whose work was unmistakable. He invented plural forms like mangoe's, tomato's, chicken's.

It drives me nuts and people say, "It doesn't matter as long as people know what the meaning is." Well yes that's true as long as bad spellers stick to occupations of zero consequence in our lives I would agree with that. But they don't. They take their sites/cites/sights and there/their/they're out into the public where decent, moral, hardworking people are constantly assaulted with it.

And don't get me started on people - predominantly Americans - who pronounce the plural of process as "processees." If a person was applying for admission to University or applying for some Immigration status then during (and at the completion of) that process they might be processees. Their other favourite one is biasees. This one is completely inane. If we accept axes and crises as a nod to their Greek via Latin etymology this doesn't explain biasees, from the French. Has a French speaker ever gone to a cafe and ordered baguettees or croissantees? I think not.

Meanwhile, back at the point of this thread, since the WC started, this forum has been borderline unusable, especially on any match discussion. When attempting to read any Match Thread involving Australia I kept paraphrasing Lloyd Bridges, "It looks like I picked the wrong week to quit heroin," or "It looks like I picked the wrong week to quit elephant tranquillisers," and so on.

For whatever reason if you type were on your keyboard it defaults to we’re. Obviously the Americans who designed the software never thought about the past. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

I once took Suzuki to task over a bike advert that used an unnecessary apostrophe and there marketing people said they did it because it looked better in the advert.

Personally, I think they should bring back the death penalty for that sort of stuff.

In any case, the competition should be about posts reported, not posts removed. More democratic,more inclusive, and more fun, too.👍

I’m now about to embark on a reportathon (is that word allowed Ducky?). Wish me luck.

Edited by Gomersall

5 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

For whatever reason if you type were on your keyboard it defaults to we’re. Obviously the Americans who designed the software never thought about the past. 

On my keyboard were is just were. Is that on mobiles? I guess mobiles use autofill and auto-correct a lot more because it saves time and effort on those awful tiny virtual keyboards.

One of the weirdest auto-complete stories I ever heard of was a few years back when Americans searched Google with, "Why can't I own .." the first suggestion was "Canadian" as in "Why can't I own a Canadian?" The explanation I read was that it came from the Biblical  dictat that you should not own slaves from neighbouring lands.

*I have my doubts about that story but I read it on the internet so it must be true.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Farmduck said:

If you're looking for ' mistakes ' , then look no further than the BBC 

In all the advertising for the SAS Rogue Heroes drama they've got soldier's parachuting out of B 17 Flying Fortress Bombers , somebody got their Dakota's mixed up with their B 17s 

Sackable offence 😉

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If you're looking for ' mistakes ' , then look no further than the BBC 

In all the advertising for the SAS Rogue Heroes drama they've got soldier's parachuting out of B 17 Flying Fortress Bombers , somebody got their Dakota's mixed up with their B 17s 

Sackable offence 😉

Apostrophe spotters (sorry, spotter's) will doubtles's have noticed the irony in thi's post.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Apostrophe spotters (sorry, spotter's) will doubtles's have noticed the irony in thi's post.

Despite a grammar school education my dictionary skills went out the window when I worked as a delivery driver and had to scribble out delivery notes ( my hand writing became almost illegible as well ), plus it winds up ' Ducky ' 

No comment on the BBC'S #### up I notice ( I suppose it isn't RL related ? ) , Then again , neither is this thread 😉

9 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Why did we go over a thousand years in English without using apostrophes for plurals but suddenly in the last 5 years they seem mandatory? 

Exactly, Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

• Haha 2

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Despite a grammar school education my dictionary skills went out the window when I worked as a delivery driver and had to scribble out delivery notes ( my hand writing became almost illegible as well ), plus it winds up ' Ducky ' 

No comment on the BBC'S #### up I notice ( I suppose it isn't RL related ? ) , Then again , neither is this thread 😉

I’m going to report this post!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Farmduck said:

On my keyboard were is just were. Is that on mobiles? I guess mobiles use autofill and auto-correct a lot more because it saves time and effort on those awful tiny virtual keyboards.

One of the weirdest auto-complete stories I ever heard of was a few years back when Americans searched Google with, "Why can't I own .." the first suggestion was "Canadian" as in "Why can't I own a Canadian?" The explanation I read was that it came from the Biblical  dictat that you should not own slaves from neighbouring lands.

*I have my doubts about that story but I read it on the internet so it must be true.

I use safari on an iPad Ducky. My thumbs are to big and my eyes two bad to use a mobile.

Edited by Gomersall

Just now, Gomersall said:

I use safari Ducky. My thumbs are to big and my eyes two bad to use a mobile.

I never use the phone for internet. In fact I'm on a $5/month phone deal that specifically precludes any data. 1 foot away from my phone is a PC with a big screen and full-sized keyboard. Why would I use the phone?

• Like 1

A much better approach would be a cartoon RL player ( like the one cricket had ) being sent off in the place of the offending post.

I think I might need to fess up as the Golden Boot (keyboard) on this one to save any poor innocent poster from the shame and derision.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 19/11/2022 at 11:11, Mumby Magic said:

With blowing my own trumpet, that's me as a potential finalist. Night on twenty years no warnings whatsoever. Me a fence sitter? Neigh 😆😆😆😆

It is with great trepidation I bring this post to your attention,MM.

• Sad 1