RL in Stockport

15 hours ago, overtheborder said:

Missed this thread first time round but I'd be happy to get involved if it ended up moving forward, especially given I'm a County fan football-wise.

I've never really been involved in RL though so you wouldn't want me too close to the on-field side but I've been quite involved in amateur cricket so could hopefully offer something even if it's just a pair of hands to do some of the donkey work!

Excellent stuff. If there were 1,000 more people like you the game would be in a great place. 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2022 at 11:24, Dave T said:

I recall reading something on this previously,  but what's the rationale for a 2nd Brisbane team,  in terms of fan base.  I'm sure I read that Brisbane Broncos are unpopular with some people,  what's the background to that? 

I think this is another example of how different the markets are -  putting a new team in the league whose primary home ground is the Suncorp,  the same as another teams seems bizarre, but no doubt it'll work. 

On 18/09/2022 at 15:23, Sports Prophet said:

Talks of mergers and relocations are wide of the mark. Mergers have proven themselves to be fatal.

The Dragons are a basket case, with the Illawarra name almost lost, yet being the obvious permanent future for the club now the merger has happened.

Wests have an even bigger identity crisis and still neglect their obvious lifeline to the south west of Campbelltown to preserve an ageing Balmain brigade.

Northern Eagles… say nothing more.

Relocations of Sydney clubs is equally ludicrous. The clubs are established entities that each have at minimum 100k supporters of varying fandom. The key is to turn more of the “got the shirt” brigade into consistent live consumers.

In saying all that, if you had a fresh canvass, you wouldn’t have that many Sydney clubs in a new competition. So why on earth are people keen on diluting Bris/SE Qld even further once the Dolphins have arrived. 

And lastly, Northern Dolphins is not one for the purists, but, the name captures north of Brisbane, up to Sunshine Coast.

On 19/11/2022 at 17:57, Usera said:

I think that a few schools played RL in Stockport in the early eighties as well. 

Our school in Salford used to play against a Stockport school (Priestnall) in the late 80s/early 90s.

On 21/11/2022 at 15:02, Griff said:

Ironically, Wilderspool was south of the river but now they play on the Lancashire side.

There is no Lancashire side, I don't know anyone in Warrington who lives there who refers to Lancashire. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

There is no Lancashire side, I don't know anyone in Warrington who lives there who refers to Lancashire. 

That makes sense.

I can understand anyone who doesn't want to admit they're from Lancashire.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Griff said:

That makes sense.

I can understand anyone who doesn't want to admit they're from Lancashire.

People in leigh and Wigan still use the Lancashire county but Warrington use cheshire. I think because it straddled the 2 counties it was an easy change were wigan and leigh became part of a new county Gt Manchester and that didn't sit right. 

10 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

People in leigh and Wigan still use the Lancashire county but Warrington use cheshire. I think because it straddled the 2 counties it was an easy change were wigan and leigh became part of a new county Gt Manchester and that didn't sit right. 

The trouble with these new "counties" is they're a moving target. Wales is a great example of a right pig's ear where the nine 1974 counties have become 22 which ridiculous names like RhonddaCynonTafshire. After 49 years of pretending to be in Cumbria, Barrow will soon be leaving for WestmorlandandFurnessshire.  Scotland and Northern Ireland on the other hand, didn't buy into the new counties deal. County boundaries unchanged, different local authorities emptying your bins.

Which is the reality.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Griff said:

The trouble with these new "counties" is they're a moving target. Wales is a great example of a right pig's ear where the nine 1974 counties have become 22 which ridiculous names like RhonddaCynonTafshire. After 49 years of pretending to be in Cumbria, Barrow will soon be leaving for WestmorlandandFurnessshire.  Scotland and Northern Ireland on the other hand, didn't buy into the new counties deal. County boundaries unchanged, different local authorities emptying your bins.

Which is the reality.

I agree that there is sense to using the traditional counties for geographic and cultural purposes as a fixed unchanging reference point. Local authority boundaries will continually change with circumstances.

On Barrow, the new Westmorland and Furness local authority will also include part of Yorkshire around Sedbergh and Cumberland around Penrith - the new Cumberland council not covering all of Cumberland.

Cumbria will remain as a ceremonial and shrieval county and police and fire authority.