Well Done RLWC Team! Best yet!

IM2

Have to say praise where praise is due. What a tournament. Obviously would have been great to see England in the final and win but that wasn't to be.

61 live games on BBC

4 tournaments & some real entertainment in all comps. Wheelchair has been massive

Lots more depth in the top 8

Unprecedented media coverage

Proper sponsors (not Bill's skips of Wigan or Bobs Butchers Castleford)

Record crowds

Record money going into the International game. That has to be huge

Imo a real step up. yes loads could have been done better. some odd ground choices. in hindsight maybe some flex in ticket prices but who would have known the cost of living crisis would be so acute. But for me it's been a massive success. I hope they keep the team together for the French RLWC. 

well done again RLWC team!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IM2 said:

Have to say praise where praise is due. What a tournament. Obviously would have been great to see England in the final and win but that wasn't to be.

61 live games on BBC

4 tournaments & some real entertainment in all comps. Wheelchair has been massive

Lots more depth in the top 8

Unprecedented media coverage

Proper sponsors (not Bill's skips of Wigan or Bobs Butchers Castleford)

Record crowds

Record money going into the International game. That has to be huge

Imo a real step up. yes loads could have been done better. some odd ground choices. in hindsight maybe some flex in ticket prices but who would have known the cost of living crisis would be so acute. But for me it's been a massive success. I hope they keep the team together for the French RLWC. 

well done again RLWC team!

I agree with a lot of that, it won’t be received well on here though, far too positive 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Every single game on free to air tv, more people will have seen this RLWC than any other, new name in the final, record crowds for wheelchair and women’s RL.

Oh yes.... fantastic.

People keep talking about Wheelchairs, and women.

Neither of these variations make any money. Neither of them are professional. They are literally an add on to the main event. 

Edited by Madrileño
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Madrileño said:

Oh yes.... fantastic.

Neither of these variations make any money. Neither of them are professional. They are literally an add on to the main event. 

Such a short sighted view imo, more people have watched this WC than any other despite some disappointing crowds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Oh yes.... fantastic.

What's your point? We would be better without them?

Positives 

- Inclusion of women, wheelchair and PDRL

- Wheelchair in general 

- Amount of RL shown on BBC

- Men's semis

- The Rock on Instagram

Negatives

- Organization

- Ticketing

- Marketing

- Pricing

- Venue selection

- Crowds

- International broadcasting

- Lopsided scorelines

- Boring, predictable mens and womens finals

- England men

- Neutral refs

- No international RL plan once the final whistle had gone

Overall 5/10 with massive missed opportunities before during and after the tournament....again. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

its great that we had the WC final in front of 67,000 folks, plus a large tv audience?  Very positive

Can't wait to see the world champion aussies play again after seeing that? Can somebody point me to the next Aus games, I assume they will be on Sky

Edited by crashmon
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Another bonus - of the many new and "new" TRL members that have joined the forum for the World Cup, a much smaller percentage than expected turned out to be trolls or sneak-backs.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Leonard said:

What's your point? We would be better without them?

No. Not at all.

My point was, that when we have zero sellout games, even in relatively small heartland stadia; and when we cannot sell out our Final (our global showpiece event), don't come back with a reply bigging up Wheelchairs and amateur women's games.

The 2 cannot be compared. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

No. Not at all.

My point was, that when we have zero sellout games, even in relatively small heartland stadia; and when we cannot sell out our Final (our global showpiece event), don't come back with a reply bigging up Wheelchairs and amateur women's games.

The thread is about the RLWC, that included all versions.

34 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Oh yes.... fantastic.

shows how little you understand business. invest to grow. women in particular has massive potential. current demographic you are lucky to grow 5 to 10%. add women's and you have chance to double your playing and spectator base. just look at how much its grown in RL in the last few years and compare to other sports. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

No. Not at all.

so lets have all the games at L1 clubs grounds and then the final at headingly. sell outs and a 1/4 of the revenue. then add in the optics of grounds. such rubbish 

It wasn't the best ever, that was 2013.

There were a lot of positives that IMO mask over what wasn't a great tournament. The wheelchair final was great in the same way that Tonga's amazing run masked the disappointments of the 2017 event.

When I judge whether it was great, I'm looking not at easily-skewed statistics but at whether it has a) provided a much needed boost to RL in this country and b) whether it has furthered the legitimacy and profile of the RLWC in general.

The answer to both of these is no IMO. Yes we might have had 61 live games, but if the spectacle isn't positive then how many fans does it make? 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, crashmon said:

its great that we had the WC final in front of 67,000 folks, plus a large tv audience?  Very postive

Can't wait to see the world champion aussies play again after seeing that? Can somebody point me to the next Aus games, I assume they will be on Sky

yep thats the true legacy now a larger and more robust international schedule. each nation of the 16 needs 3 or 4 games annually now.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IM2 said:

shows how little you understand business. invest to grow. women in particular has massive potential. current demographic you are lucky to grow 5 to 10%. add women's and you have chance to double your playing and spectator base. just look at how much its grown in RL in the last few years and compare to other sports. 

I do understand business thanks. (FX mainly).

We are actually in some ways limiting our expansion by not having the women's world cup as a stand alone event when there is no men's tournament on. I appreciate women's League is in its infancy but there is a reason that (for example) the women's football Euros does not run alongside the real Euros.

A women's world cup in the UK in an otherwise empty year would maintain the international presence in Europe while we won't see another men's world Cup in the UK for at least 12 years.  

My point however was in response to the other poster citing women's and wheelchair games as an "antidote" to our failure to sell out even 1 World Cup game.

With your finance background, you will be familiar with benchmarks.  If we are to benchmark ourselves against union (our most visible/direct competitor) they sell out approximately 100% of World Cup games. Tickets for their competition are sold out years in advance.

100% vs 0% (rugby League) is not acceptable IMO. You may be happy with it, but I see it as a massive failure.

(I have no idea what point your other post about League 1 grounds was making, so I won't reply to it). 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Every single game on free to air tv, more people will have seen this RLWC than any other, new name in the final, record crowds for wheelchair and women’s RL.

There really isn't any point in trying in these threads.  Some people only want to see the negatives. 

And before anyone points it out, yes of course there is a place for recognising where we could have done better.  But is that place a thread that has a positive tone on the whole competition.  It just comes across as mean spirited and enjoying pointing out failure.

• Like 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

38 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Positives 

- Inclusion of women, wheelchair and PDRL

- Wheelchair in general 

- Amount of RL shown on BBC

- Men's semis

- The Rock on Instagram

Negatives

- Organization

- Ticketing

- Marketing

- Pricing

- Venue selection

- Crowds

- International broadcasting

- Lopsided scorelines

- Boring, predictable mens and womens finals

- England men

- Neutral refs

- No international RL plan once the final whistle had gone

Overall 5/10 with massive missed opportunities before during and after the tournament....again. 

Agreed 

whists I applaud the positives . Wheelchair, Womens. People are being blinkers to say this has been a success and No the organisers do not need a well done . They were well paid  to present a publicly funded  TV supported World Cup that had all the support and opportunity to be on another level . As paid professionals they have missed the attendance targets THEY laid down by 50% , Failed to sell our a single ground , employed sub standard contractors to present a shambles of an opener , Openly lied , Engaged an outdated ticketing website, actually had less people attend than in 2013 And more . However worst of all , and what they as professionals should be judged on is the opportunities they missed. I keep saying it this should have been So so so so much better .  In any other sport of company I assure you they would not be getting a well done they would be picking up there cards Monday morning.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, crashmon said:

its great that we had the WC final in front of 67,000 folks, plus a large tv audience?  Very postive

Got 70k plus 9 years ago .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1