Well Done RLWC Team! Best yet!

IM2

I think you can make a case for 2021 being the best ever. It set out its stall to be 3 successful competitions, and delivered magnificently on the wheelchair and women’s front. Over 2.5m tuned into the wheelchair final!!! That was an undoubted triumph. The women’s were only marginally less successful, and there is clearly huge huge potential for growth there. 

As for the men’s, we have had ambitious pricing against the backdrop of a cost of living crisis which meant that crowds were lower than we would have hoped. And yet… they were within 10% of the 2013 figures, which, while considered a triumph, pretty much gave away many 10s of thousands of tickets. One thing that I would revisit with the men’s is the number of teams. I can see that 16 feels like a good number, but I don’t see why we need more than 10 and would be happy with 8. Cricket is a vastly bigger game, and yet they had 12 in their T20 comp. I struggle to get excited by foregone conclusion games with artificial teams. In that respect I prefer some of the other formats we have used in the past. 

It’s hard to compare, but I think I enjoyed 2013 more: it just felt like it was buzzier. While I enjoyed 2008, it wasn’t really a competition for the ages until the final. 2017 was a litany of missed opportunities, with PNG and Tonga providing rare highlights in a tournament treated with apathy in Oz. 1995 was a lot of fun, though it was hard to see much of it (did the BBC only show the first and last game in full or am I misremembering). 2000 was a catastrophe. So, my league table would be: 

1) 2013

2) 2021

3) 1995

4) 2008

5) 2017

6) 2000 

i would note that the SH world cups have not just been inferior than the NH ones, but that clearly the gap between the potential and the reality is far far bigger, given the massive existing audience. 

49 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

No. Not at all.

My point was, that when we have zero sellout games, even in relatively small heartland stadia; and when we cannot sell out our Final (our global showpiece event), don't come back with a reply bigging up Wheelchairs and amateur women's games.

The 2 cannot be compared. 

How about you set out your thoughts on where this one rates relative to the others? That would be on point. 

Why are people still feeding the obvious troll so generously? Do you think he'll burst?

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

Oh yes.... fantastic.

People keep talking about Wheelchairs, and women.

Neither of these variations make any money. Neither of them are professional. They are literally an add on to the main event. 

Some female players in Australia can earn around $60,000 a year when including regular round plus representative matches. Marquee players can earn more.

”In 2018, when the NRLW first started, we had 10,000 registered female participants across the country and that is now going to be close to 40,000 at the end of this year.” - Andrew Abdo, 2022

The WC will help it grow even more.

Edited by Copa
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

To everyone who is bigging up the success of this World Cup:

Now try to come up with a response without using the word "wheelchair".

IMHO this series has been excellent, there ya go

• Like 2

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

An added bonus is the island teams are now backing themselves instead of getting cherry picked. A more robust international agenda will be a brilliant thing. If Australia don't come on board so be it.

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

26 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Why are people still feeding the obvious troll so generously? Do you think he'll burst?

Ah. The old TRL favourite:

"I don't like this person's opinion on an Internet forum, so I will call him a troll". 

Very good. Its the sort of tactics my kids pull in a playground argument. 

If you think this tournament has been a success, then great.

I don't, and have tried to outline some reasons why I don't. 

2 hours ago, Madrileño said:

No. Not at all.

My point was, that when we have zero sellout games, even in relatively small heartland stadia; and when we cannot sell out our Final (our global showpiece event), don't come back with a reply bigging up Wheelchairs and amateur women's games.

The 2 cannot be compared. 

Well the average attendance was bigger than 2017 and the final was far better attended - even though the home country wasn't playing.

In that context 67,000 is a great attendance. 

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

To everyone who is bigging up the success of this World Cup:

Now try to come up with a response without using the word "wheelchair".

1. The quality of the contests in the knockout rounds.

2. The standard of rugby league in the Australia v. New Zealand semi final in particular.

3. The Samoan tournament journey, including these scenes among Samoan populations in Australia, New Zealand, Apia and elsewhere.

Granted, none of the above is the doing of the organisers, but if we're judging the tournament on its sporting merit then the last fortnight or so has been very good.

• Like 2

A mixture of very good, some bad and some ugly. There are some really big lessons to take from the tournament. The next person in line to plan a World Cup here should be in a privileged position. I think they could pull bits from 2013 and from 2022, find a middle ground, throw in the fabulous new parts, that are the womens and wheelchair comps and come up with an amazing tournament. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Record viewing figures 

new nation in the final

Greece and jamaica

Brazil

record women’s crowds

No one is denying there has been success . However the point I’m making is that with the tools we had available for this World Cup , With a competent events organisation team ( Not even brilliant just competent) the mens edition would have been every bit as successful as the wheelchair edition . Please please don’t try and tell me that the mens edition has been a success . I can guarantee you no one in the events marketing world will be looking the mens comp as a benchmark of success.

6 minutes ago, WN83 said:

A mixture of very good, some bad and some ugly. There are some really big lessons to take from the tournament. The next person in line to plan a World Cup here should be in a privileged position. I think they could pull bits from 2013 and from 2022, find a middle ground, throw in the fabulous new parts, that are the womens and wheelchair comps and come up with an amazing tournament. 

Lessons were there to be learnt in 2013 and 2017 . The mistakes this time shouldn’t have happened . People  were paid handsomely to ensure that , complete incompetence I’m afraid no excuse .

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Well the average attendance was bigger than 2017 and the final was far better attended - even though the home country wasn't playing.

In that context 67,000 is a great attendance. 

I cannot argue with that.

However, I think we both know, that 2017 was shambolic. You and I could have done better. It failed abysmally to build on the relative success of 2013. 

Beating 2017 is pretty meaningless. Their mid season pacific tests were bigger than the World Cup that year. 

6 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

No one is denying there has been success . However the point I’m making is that with the tools we had available for this World Cup , With a competent events organisation team ( Not even brilliant just competent) the mens edition would have been every bit as successful as the wheelchair edition . Please please don’t try and tell me that the mens edition has been a success . I can guarantee you no one in the events marketing world will be looking the mens comp as a benchmark of success.

Did you not bother to read the context of my answer.

i wont try tell you anything because you’re not interested unless it’s negative 

9 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

Lessons were there to be learnt in 2013 and 2017 . The mistakes this time shouldn’t have happened . People  were paid handsomely to ensure that , complete incompetence I’m afraid no excuse .

I’m with you but ultimately they have been made and we can’t change that now. If the next person can’t use our last 2 home world cups and 2017, to formulate a World Cup we’d all class as our best ever, then they’d have to be a total moron. Pulling all the good bits from those 3 comps should be easy work. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Did you not bother to read the context of my answer.

i wont try tell you anything because you’re not interested unless it’s negative 

Believe me I hate the fact I have to be negative about the mens comp . I take zero pleasure from it , it makes me sad and in turn angry at those responsible. Our Game players and fans deserve better. 

3 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

Believe me I hate the fact I have to be negative about the mens comp . I take zero pleasure from it , it makes me sad and in turn angry at those responsible. Our Game players and fans deserve better. 

It’s your choice to be overly negative.

There are lots of positives but you focus on the negatives.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It’s your choice to be overly negative.

There are lots of positives but you focus on the negatives.

Let’s be clear . This game has precious little money , people have been paid lots and lots of money to do a job ,  I chose to bring to book those who through gross incompetence have missed our great game an opportunity to shine , and I mean properly shine in the National conscious. I’m not going to sweetness and light where they are concerned.

as regards the positives , all the ones you have mentioned I totally agree with . The Tv presentation and coverage for one have been phenomenal. My point is this World Cup should with half decent leadership been an absolute , resounding ball bouncing success. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RL Tragic said:

Let’s be clear . This game has precious little money , people have been paid lots and lots of money to do a job ,  I chose to bring to book those who through gross incompetence have missed our great game an opportunity to shine , and I mean properly shine in the National conscious. I’m not going to sweetness and light where they are concerned.

as regards the positives , all the ones you have mentioned I totally agree with . The Tv presentation and coverage for one have been phenomenal. My point is this World Cup should with half decent leadership been an absolute , resounding ball bouncing success. 

Your two points are a bit contradictory.

you wanted the organisers to shine in the national consciousness. They have delivered a tournament where every single minute was on TV with record viewing figures.

So they have delivered on that, bit you think that people counting empty seats negates that ?

The organisers have made mistakes, i think there was far too many games in the sane places and their ticket pricing strategy was way off for some games. The website was also shambolic.

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

you wanted the organisers to shine in the national consciousness. They have delivered a tournament where every single minute was on TV with record viewing figures.

So they have delivered on that, bit you think that people counting empty seats negates that ?

The organisers have made mistakes, i think there was far too many games in the sane places and their ticket pricing strategy was way off for some games. The website was also 

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The organisers have made mistakes, i think there was far too many games in the sane places and their ticket pricing strategy was way off for some games. The website was also shambolic.

I take an agree with your point on the TV figures , I agree this has been a great success. However how a product is presented is everything. The poor seating planning and poor attendances , Both due to organiser incompetence have detracted from what’s on offer . This should not have been the case . I’m sure you can see my frustration . Complex issues I can forgive, But there have been too many utter schoolboy errors at this World Cup to not have someone brought to book .

• Like 1