Well Done RLWC Team! Best yet!

IM2

3 hours ago, Madrileño said:

I do understand business thanks. (FX mainly).

We are actually in some ways limiting our expansion by not having the women's world cup as a stand alone event when there is no men's tournament on. I appreciate women's League is in its infancy but there is a reason that (for example) the women's football Euros does not run alongside the real Euros.

A women's world cup in the UK in an otherwise empty year would maintain the international presence in Europe while we won't see another men's world Cup in the UK for at least 12 years.  

My point however was in response to the other poster citing women's and wheelchair games as an "antidote" to our failure to sell out even 1 World Cup game.

With your finance background, you will be familiar with benchmarks.  If we are to benchmark ourselves against union (our most visible/direct competitor) they sell out approximately 100% of World Cup games. Tickets for their competition are sold out years in advance.

100% vs 0% (rugby League) is not acceptable IMO. You may be happy with it, but I see it as a massive failure.

(I have no idea what point your other post about League 1 grounds was making, so I won't reply to it). 

You give yourself away when you juxtapose "the real euros" against the "women's football euros"

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

I take an agree with your point on the TV figures , I agree this has been a great success. However how a product is presented is everything. The poor seating planning and poor attendances , Both due to organiser incompetence have detracted from what’s on offer . This should not have been the case . I’m sure you can see my frustration . Complex issues I can forgive, But there have been too many utter schoolboy errors at this World Cup to not have someone brought to book .

Don’t waste your time trying to be rational and present well thought out opinions to him. If it’s not all rainbows and sunshine he’ll throw his toys out of the pram.

Incidentally, I agree with everything you say and you sum up my feelings perfectly. The few positives can’t mask the huge disappointment at yet more RL rake stepping. 

• Like 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

13 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

You give yourself away when you juxtapose "the real euros" against the "women's football euros"

Give what away?

The Euros are the Euros. They are not the "men's Euros" they are the Euros.

They did not change their name when women's football started having a European championship as well. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Don’t waste your time trying to be rational and present well thought out opinions to him. If it’s not all rainbows and sunshine he’ll throw his toys out of the pram.

Incidentally, I agree with everything you say and you sum up my feelings perfectly. The few positives can’t mask the huge disappointment at yet more RL rake stepping. 

Don’t be ridiculous, who’s throwing the toys out of the pram?

Ive said theres things that have been wrong with the organisational side of the tournament, and I’ve posted negatives throughout the tournament so don’t talk nonsense.

19 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

How on earth do you expect me to answer that, don’t be ridiculous.

I can answer it:

It has made zero profit. 

But yeah... Great to know that the final made "a significant amount more money" than in 2013.  Keep the positivity coming. 👏

I'll deal in reality. The entire tournament made no money.

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Don’t be ridiculous, who’s throwing the toys out of the pram?

Ive said theres things that have been wrong with the organisational side of the tournament, and I’ve posted negatives throughout the tournament so don’t talk nonsense.

You, every time someone dare make valid criticisms. RL Tragic made some great points and was telling you how he feels, the way a lot of people feel, and your response is to undermine him and call him negative.

Tepid attitudes, brushing inadequacy under the carpet is why we don’t improve. 

• Like 1

3736-mipm.gif

1 minute ago, Madrileño said:

I can answer it:

It has made zero profit. 

But yeah... Great to know that the final made "a significant amount more money" than in 2013.  Keep the positivity coming. 👏

You do realise that the IRL we’re guaranteed a multi million pound payment for the tournament so your ‘made no money’ is a tad ingenious.

International RL made money in the tournament.

1 minute ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

You, every time someone dare make valid criticisms. RL Tragic made some great points and was telling you how he feels, the way a lot of people feel, and your response is to undermine him and call him negative.

Tepid attitudes, brushing inadequacy under the carpet is why we don’t improve. 

It’s an internet forum, people will disagree with your posts (and mine) and vice versa.

Thats not throwing toys out of a pram.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

It’s an internet forum, people will disagree with your posts (and mine) and vice versa.

Thats not throwing toys out of a pram.

Amazing. Thanks 

3736-mipm.gif

39 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

I can answer it:

It has made zero profit. 

If true that’s quite sad. The nrl didn’t help either with cancelling. 

11 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The whole cancelling and rearranging the tournament will have had a massive impact for a variety of reasons.

people seem to ignore this though.

Yeah I seem to remember it was building well then vlandys shut it down. Speaks to the powerbrokers of the game. 

13 minutes ago, Iceberg Slim said:

Yeah I seem to remember it was building well then vlandys shut it down. Speaks to the powerbrokers of the game. 

I think a fair few people slating the organisers and profitability are a bit naive to the consequences of having to rearrange a scheduled tournament both financially and from a practical point of view.

This on top of the country and people in general being financially worse off.

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think a fair few people slating the organisers and profitability are a bit naive to the consequences of having to rearrange a scheduled tournament both financially and from a practical point of view.

This on top of the country and people in general being financially worse off.

What’s naive? Fans for criticizing the organizers for not adapting or the organizers themselves for not understanding very very basic facts such as people being generally worse off? Good god, you are Dutton and a claim my tediously earned £5.

• Like 1

3736-mipm.gif

Also an extra year to build and prepare is not the impediment it’s being made out to be. Especially with covid all but forgotten by most now compared to a year ago with Omicron etc. 

• Like 3

3736-mipm.gif

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Also an extra year to build and prepare is not the impediment it’s being made out to be. Especially with covid all but forgotten by most now compared to a year ago with Omicron etc. 

Well this. A year ago when people were trained that they had to wear masks and stand two metres apart was not the time to have it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

What’s naive? Fans for criticizing the organizers for not adapting or the organizers themselves for not understanding very very basic facts such as people being generally worse off? Good god, you are Dutton and a claim my tediously earned £5.

Everything is rubbish, all the time, right? 😀😀😀

13 hours ago, IM2 said:

Have to say praise where praise is due. What a tournament. Obviously would have been great to see England in the final and win but that wasn't to be.

61 live games on BBC

4 tournaments & some real entertainment in all comps. Wheelchair has been massive

Lots more depth in the top 8

Unprecedented media coverage

Proper sponsors (not Bill's skips of Wigan or Bobs Butchers Castleford)

Record crowds

Record money going into the International game. That has to be huge

Imo a real step up. yes loads could have been done better. some odd ground choices. in hindsight maybe some flex in ticket prices but who would have known the cost of living crisis would be so acute. But for me it's been a massive success. I hope they keep the team together for the French RLWC. 

well done again RLWC team!

Weird post. But then I guess there was plenty of beer drunk yesterday.

61 games live across the BBC has been brilliant. Viewing figures for the women's and wheelchair tournaments in particular were superb and indicate a distinct audience for those sports that will be lost by going straight back to budget double headers and curtain raisers. The BBC deserve huge applause for everything they've done - the flashing warning sign being that with less budget in 2025 and the tournament being outside the UK they may not be minded to do so again then, at least not to the same depth.

Three tournaments really with the PDRL being a late add on that unfortunately then got overlooked when it came to invitations for the final. But, yes, the festival approach worked - just. Assuming proper growth in all the tournaments beyond 2025, it shouldn't be the template going forward but it worked this time.

Agreed that more countries stepped up with only a few real disappointments. That was good to see and will hopefully end there being too much tinkering with formats. You just need the teams.

The media coverage has been great on the BBC and ... about the same or lower than previous tournaments elsewhere. Social media content has been decent but no more widely shared than a lot of sporting content. We did okay here.

The sponsorship portfolio is notably smaller and less prestigious than 2013. You can check this yourself by looking at the respective websites.

Crowds are lower in total and by average than 2013. Offset to an extent by full houses for the wheelchair and some decent standalone women's fixtures.

We don't know how much money is going into the international game. We know it's a guaranteed sum but even, say, £5m used across the world for three years isn't going to make the international game rich. It needs to be well used.

Thankfully, the team is being broken up. Dutton says he has no plans to work in RL in the future. Given the colossal number of missed opportunities in this tournament - with the understanding that this is a tough environment and the delay didn't help - I think that's fine. The French organisers should know what they're doing.

So, best ever? Depends on your mood but the bar is *really* low in the first place. I don't think it's been better than 2013 from a men's tournament perspective but the promotion of the women's and wheelchair has made a massive difference. My big worry, and nothing I saw yesterday at a budget hosting at Old Trafford, is that the RFL/RLWC current account is running on fumes and we're about to have a rude awakening.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)