Well Done RLWC Team! Best yet!

IM2

14 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

But youve just complained about profitibility!

Pricing structure was out for some games i agree but as soon as you start mass discounting you devalue the product 

If i paid 20 quid for a ticket i would rather sit in a full stadium that sold the rest of the tickets cheaper to fill it up , it would create a better overall experience for me and others and generate greater revenue and credibility for the game in so many ways.

People need to view a bigger overall picture

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We don't really know that as, as far as I'm aware, it's based on putting a very positive spin on a Dutton comment.

And the words were on course to break even.

In the same way we've been on course for lots of things.

I'm not taking anything as true with regards to the financials until they're actually revealed formally.

There was a representative of the Forty Twenty podcast this week (not dutton) and he confirmed that they have paid half snd will be paying the other half of what he said was a significant amount of money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iangidds said:

If i paid 20 quid for a ticket i would rather sit in a full stadium that sold the rest of the tickets cheaper to fill it up , it would create a better overall experience for me and others and generate greater revenue and credibility for the game in so many ways.

People need to view a bigger overall picture

And if you had paid £80-£100 for a ticket and they suddenly sold them for £20 ?

i agree people need to view a bigger picture 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, iangidds said:

As much as there has been a few positives this to me is the most accurate reflection of events, we as a game still dont understand how important it is to do the small things correctly and I feel that RL fans accept absolute rubbish.

We are going to be lucky to break even so even if we attract a few more to our sport we will have no additiinal finances to help them progress, maybe we should all hang our heads in shame that we as a sport did not get behind the tournament by getting to more matches but the powers that be are meant to lead that side of things by inspiring us with marketing ideas that entice people who are new , exisisting or lost from the game.

Missing the target audience attendance by nearly 50% is incredible and because we are starved of RL on terrestrial tv we just accept it , there was really only one great match and we missed out on the alot of the top teams playing each other by having emerging nations playing.

Been inclusive etc maybe great in some eyes but we have to focus on the pinnacle of the game to inspire the future generations .

With the CC on the BBC and C4 showing SL there was (and will be this season) a live RL game on terrestrial TV just about every week + the SL show of course- we are not exactly starved.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

There was a representative of the Forty Twenty podcast this week (not dutton) and he confirmed that they have paid half snd will be paying the other half of what he said was a significant amount of money.

I'm not really disputing whether there is a guaranteed sum to be sent to the IRL - the wording on that seemed clear enough - my issue is more where that leaves RLWC/RFL in terms of balance sheet and (understandably to be fair) what 'break even' means in terms of that. I mean, it wasn't just IRL that would have been hoping for profits from the past month.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

And if you had paid £80-£100 for a ticket and they suddenly sold them for £20 ?

i agree people need to view a bigger picture 

There has to be surely a clear understanding of what an RL fan will pay ? It surely cant be that difficult do do the financials to work out what figure is required to create a profit or loss ? Sell the tickets according to that plan

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm not really disputing whether there is a guaranteed sum to be sent to the IRL - the wording on that seemed clear enough - my issue is more where that leaves RLWC/RFL in terms of balance sheet and (understandably to be fair) what 'break even' means in terms of that. I mean, it wasn't just IRL that would have been hoping for profits from the past month.

I will be surprised to see these figures published anytime soon

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Until we get figures i suppose we wont know, there has also been a lot of money put into the community clubs from the government money.

I don’t know what duttons break even comment actually meant so we’ll have to see

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iangidds said:

I will be surprised to see these figures published anytime soon

The RFL and RLWC accounts are public. It might not be quick but they will be published.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, iangidds said:

There has to be surely a clear understanding of what an RL fan will pay ? It surely cant be that difficult do do the financials to work out what figure is required to create a profit or loss ? Sell the tickets according to that plan

I agree that the pricing structure at a lot of the group games and non england games was ill thought out.

there was plenty cheap tickets to be had throughout the tournament though.

I agree that the pricing structure at a lot of the group games and non england games was ill thought out.

This is the frustrating thing - and I know we've said it over and over.

The biggest issues - including pricing away from key games and hammering the same tiny area with so many games - were visible right from the off. And they had opportunities to respond and change, and chose not to.

Which is why it's not the best World Cup ever ever ever (totes). Because the opportunity was there to be better and it was missed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

there was plenty cheap tickets to be had throughout the tournament though.

Can you really get the pricing wrong ? Surely thats a fundamental issue ?

The narrative on social media was the tickets were too expensive and the perception in peoples minds was set , that is unacceptable in my opinion . It means the organisers were wrong and we should not be blindly patting them on the back

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The biggest issues - including pricing away from key games and hammering the same tiny area with so many games - were visible right from the off. And they had opportunities to respond and change, and chose not to.

Which is why it's not the best World Cup ever ever ever (totes). Because the opportunity was there to be better and it was missed.

You have to be able to adapt in business, having rigid plans kills alot of companies

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It can still be the best world cup we have had (with all factors taken into account) and not be the best it could, the two aren’t mutually exclusive.

it all comes down to how you are measuring ‘best’

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

So can undervaluing your product 

Another point I would like to make is that ive been a supporter of RL for 40 years now and I have never recieved one email from anyone inviting me to a world cuo game !

Im a Leeds RL supporter but due to moving to the Nkrth West ive mostly gone to Saints to watch nuetral games over the last 20 years, Saints send me mails about various things but they never sent one email about the World cup to me .

That feels to me that no one is trying to do the right thing in working together to target supporters 

3 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Another point I would like to make is that ive been a supporter of RL for 40 years now and I have never recieved one email from anyone inviting me to a world cuo game !

Im a Leeds RL supporter but due to moving to the Nkrth West ive mostly gone to Saints to watch nuetral games over the last 20 years, Saints send me mails about various things but they never sent one email about the World cup to me .

That feels to me that no one is trying to do the right thing in working together to target supporters 

I’ve actually said throughout the tournament that I think members of the clubs should have had offers to get multiple tickets for the games at their stadiums, i would have probably taken up that offer, the downside is that I couldn’t make all the games so that would have been an empty seat for a few of the games.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I’ve actually said throughout the tournament that I think members of the clubs should have had offers to get multiple tickets for the games at their stadiums, i would have probably taken up that offer, the downside is that I couldn’t make all the games so that would have been an empty seat for a few of the games.

Lets be honest here , it cant be that difficult to target supporters of the clubs where the games are taking place or clubs in general ?

On 19/11/2022 at 19:32, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Positives 

- Inclusion of women, wheelchair and PDRL

- Wheelchair in general 

- Amount of RL shown on BBC

- Men's semis

- The Rock on Instagram

Negatives

- Organization

- Ticketing

- Marketing

- Pricing

- Venue selection

- Crowds

- International broadcasting

- Lopsided scorelines

- Boring, predictable mens and womens finals

- England men

- Neutral refs

- No international RL plan once the final whistle had gone

Overall 5/10 with massive missed opportunities before during and after the tournament....again. 

Sèems like the organisers messed up alot of the fundamentals of running a World cup ! People should really take note of what went wrong not because its been negative but these crucial things people were paid very well to deliver ; which they clearly did not.

3 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Lets be honest here , it cant be that difficult to target supporters of the clubs where the games are taking place or clubs in general ?

I agree, but it’s also not the clubs job to sell world cup tickets, more should have been done with the clubs though i do agree as ive said.

46 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

My assumptions/ guesses:

It'll work out to be somewhere around £25 million in ticket sales, programmes, merchandise etc. A couple of million more for tv rights, sponsorships etc. (but could be quite a lot more, who knows) plus the £25 million from the government. £10 million has already gone into funding community RL projects,  there's clearly a similar sized payment to the IRL. If the actual tournament company breaks even (and pays no income tax), that isn't necessarily a bad thing. And if we've had that much government funding to put the thing on, I wouldn't necessarily expect the RFL to be shouting to the world how much profit they've made.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

My assumptions/ guesses:

It'll work out to be somewhere around £25 million in ticket sales, programmes, merchandise etc. A couple of million more for tv rights, sponsorships etc. (but could be quite a lot more, who knows) plus the £25 million from the government. £10 million has already gone into funding community RL projects,  there's clearly a similar sized payment to the IRL. If the actual tournament company breaks even (and pays no income tax), that isn't necessarily a bad thing. And if we've had that much government funding to put the thing on, I wouldn't necessarily expect the RFL to be shouting to the world how much profit they've made.

I think people have just latched on to duttons break even comment which was prettier ambiguous and taken it to mean something it didn’t 

I think it's useful to think about it in terms of fan experience - I think that's no more than a 5 out of 10 - poor atmosphere, no fanzones or entertainment, poor sound and vision (big screens), poor use of scoreboards and clocks, expensive seats, poor scheduling, poor ticketing. I think it earns a lot of credit just by being international RL which many of us love, and the inclusivity was brilliant, and being able to watch games fta with extensive coverage, plus I thought the social media work was great. 

As a tournament for fans it was (once again) saved somewhat by a few brilliant games. Tonga v PNG, Tonga v Samoa, Eng v Samoa, Aus v NZ in the men's, plus Eng v PNG and Aus v NZ in women's, plus Aus v Eng and Eng v France in wheelchair.