Well Done RLWC Team! Best yet!

IM2

On 19/11/2022 at 19:57, Madrileño said:

To everyone who is bigging up the success of this World Cup:

Now try to come up with a response without using the word "wheelchair".

I know of people who until a month ago had no interest or very little interest in rugby league.

But now they are subscribing to watching the sport week in week out either with sky or in a couple of cases, GiantsTV.

I also know my friends down in Kent have already sourced out their local clubs to try and get involved with.

Thousands of Arsenal season ticket holders and their friends saw rugby league for the first time last week and seemingly loved it.

Thousands of the Samoan diaspora around the world will ensure that RL becomes their national sport and those players will become national heroes.

Lots of new fans will now know the names of most of the women's players and will hopefully go along and watch and get involved with the women's sport over the coming years, and hopefully that will lead to the professionalism of the women's game.

Rugby League has shown yet again that on the field it is still "the greatest game".

Want any more?

34 minutes ago, meast said:

There's more to it than how many people were in the stadiums in my opinion.

You are right - there definitely is more to it than pure bums on seats.

However the title of the thread is congratulating the team on the best RLWC yet.  My point was just that they (the team) were incapable of even 1 sold out stadium. Not even 1, despite having small stadia in places like Warrington, with teams like the Kiwis playing there.

I felt that an event as big as the world cup, which has not been in the UK for nearly a decade, should by now be creating enough demand to fill SOME stadiums. Not every single game (like they do in union) but the RLWC team should IMO definitely be creating enough of an "event" to attract the odd capacity crowd.

The fact that they did not do so, is a failing in my eyes. 

I hope this explains my position. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, meast said:

I know of people who until a month ago had no interest or very little interest in rugby league.

But now they are subscribing to watching the sport week in week out either with sky or in a couple of cases, GiantsTV.

I also know my friends down in Kent have already sourced out their local clubs to try and get involved with.

Thousands of Arsenal season ticket holders and their friends saw rugby league for the first time last week and seemingly loved it.

Thousands of the Samoan diaspora around the world will ensure that RL becomes their national sport and those players will become national heroes.

Lots of new fans will now know the names of most of the women's players and will hopefully go along and watch and get involved with the women's sport over the coming years, and hopefully that will lead to the professionalism of the women's game.

Rugby League has shown yet again that on the field it is still "the greatest game".

Want any more?

Where is evidence for your claim that thousands of arsenal season ticket holders saw the game? Did they get a special deal, and if so how many took it up?

Congratulations to the WC  organizers for putting on a wonderful event during a financial down turn in the UK.  Lots  of people didn't attend the games due to that, plus the whole show being on TV.

Just watched  about every game and enjoyed the lot. New teams brought into Cup which was great.

Despite some knockers, we are so lucky to have this game of ours.

On 19/11/2022 at 20:23, RL Tragic said:

Agreed 

whists I applaud the positives . Wheelchair, Womens. People are being blinkers to say this has been a success and No the organisers do not need a well done . They were well paid  to present a publicly funded  TV supported World Cup that had all the support and opportunity to be on another level . As paid professionals they have missed the attendance targets THEY laid down by 50% , Failed to sell our a single ground , employed sub standard contractors to present a shambles of an opener , Openly lied , Engaged an outdated ticketing website, actually had less people attend than in 2013 And more . However worst of all , and what they as professionals should be judged on is the opportunities they missed. I keep saying it this should have been So so so so much better .  In any other sport of company I assure you they would not be getting a well done they would be picking up there cards Monday morning.

As much as there has been a few positives this to me is the most accurate reflection of events, we as a game still dont understand how important it is to do the small things correctly and I feel that RL fans accept absolute rubbish.

We are going to be lucky to break even so even if we attract a few more to our sport we will have no additiinal finances to help them progress, maybe we should all hang our heads in shame that we as a sport did not get behind the tournament by getting to more matches but the powers that be are meant to lead that side of things by inspiring us with marketing ideas that entice people who are new , exisisting or lost from the game.

Missing the target audience attendance by nearly 50% is incredible and because we are starved of RL on terrestrial tv we just accept it , there was really only one great match and we missed out on the alot of the top teams playing each other by having emerging nations playing.

Been inclusive etc maybe great in some eyes but we have to focus on the pinnacle of the game to inspire the future generations .

• Like 3

1 minute ago, iangidds said:

As much as there has been a few positives this to me is the most accurate reflection of events, we as a game still dont understand how important it is to do the small things correctly and I feel that RL fans accept absolute rubbish.

We are going to be lucky to break even so even if we attract a few more to our sport we will have no additiinal finances to help them progress, maybe we should all hang our heads in shame that we as a sport did not get behind the tournament by getting to more matches but the powers that be are meant to lead that side of things by inspiring us with marketing ideas that entice people who are new , exisisting or lost from the game.

Missing the target audience attendance by nearly 50% is incredible and because we are starved of RL on terrestrial tv we just accept it , there was really only one great match and we missed out on the alot of the top teams playing each other by having emerging nations playing.

Been inclusive etc maybe great in some eyes but we have to focus on the pinnacle of the game to inspire the future generations .

When you say ‘break even’ do you realise the IRL are guaranteed a payout from this world cup.

only one great match? Really?

20 hours ago, Tosh said:

Had there not been an economic downturn and crisis especially affecting families in the north west then I think crowds would have been a lot bigger for the group games and 1/4 finals.

Then why dont the organisers react with deals ? 2 for 1 , kids free, pay what you can ? Etc etc 

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

When you say ‘break even’ do you realise the IRL are guaranteed a payout from this world cup.

only one great match? Really?

Who are they guaranteed a payout from?

Yes only one game but i must add i have to rely on highlights of some games ( have you seen the official highlights on youtube )

They must be the worst highlights package put out in professional sport.

1 minute ago, iangidds said:

Who are they guaranteed a payout from?

Yes only one game but i must add i have to rely on highlights of some games ( have you seen the official highlights on youtube )

They must be the worst highlights package put out in professional sport.

They are being paid by the RLWC I believe they already have had 1/2the money

you only saw one great game out of all 61 of them?

Sad part of this is the many people who were watching top class rugby league for the first time will be left without being able to watch  the elite level on free to air TV so they drift off back to other things.

This is where the aussies have us beat…..while they have pay tv contracts with all their main sports they still have FTA rugby league, aussie rules and cricket. In contrast football and rugby union are largely confined to pay TV and are withering away.

FTA tv  would entice kids to want to go to games to see their stars.

Of course they wouldnt be able to see Radley, Young etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

But youve just complained about profitibility!

Pricing structure was out for some games i agree but as soon as you start mass discounting you devalue the product 

It would bring in more revenue and look better for the game so not really devaluing 

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

They are being paid by the RLWC I believe they already have had 1/2the money

you only saw one great game out of all 61 of them?

I did but i admit that i cant access BBC very easily these days and I have to rely on youtube highlights and reading texts, please look how had the offical youtube highlights are ( hopefully you will find it totally unacceptable)

3 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Sad part of this is the many people who were watching top class rugby league for the first time will be left without being able to watch  the elite level on free to air TV so they drift off back to other things.

This is where the aussies have us beat…..while they have pay tv contracts with all their main sports they still have FTA rugby league, aussie rules and cricket. In contrast football and rugby union are largely confined to pay TV and are withering away.

FTA tv  would entice kids to want to go to games to see their stars.

Of course they wouldnt be able to see Radley, Young etc.

We have a FTA deal with Channel 4

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The figure was already factored in so the break even will include that.

We don't really know that as, as far as I'm aware, it's based on putting a very positive spin on a Dutton comment.

And the words were on course to break even.

In the same way we've been on course for lots of things.

I'm not taking anything as true with regards to the financials until they're actually revealed formally.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Anita Bath said:

What - to watch live super league on a weekly basis in prime time?

If you want to moan that rugby league is invisible because it's not on FTA but then miss out that every year our most watched games take place on FTA then be my guest.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)