45 minutes ago, Balmainboy said:

France, Fiji, PNG and NZ are really the only places that have potential to create professional players from their own domestic set up. Focus attention there. All four need more support from both England and Aus. 

Wales also have pathways in place and have players in several SL academies 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

All other venues for the final are either in Paris, or significantly smaller, swings and roundabouts. 

Stade Vélodrome 67k Marseille 

Parc Olympique Lyonnais 59k Lyon 

Nouveau Stade de Bordeaux 42k Bordeaux 

stadium de Toulouse 33k Toulouse 

for me marseille and Lyon are too big leaving either Bordeaux or Toulouse being used for the final.

my preference would be the 33k stadium in Toulouse.

2 hours ago, Tosh said:

Stade Vélodrome 67k Marseille 

Parc Olympique Lyonnais 59k Lyon 

Nouveau Stade de Bordeaux 42k Bordeaux 

stadium de Toulouse 33k Toulouse 

for me marseille and Lyon are too big leaving either Bordeaux or Toulouse being used for the final.

my preference would be the 33k stadium in Toulouse.

Nice has been mentioned too I think.

18 hours ago, Tosh said:

That’s fantastic.

Hopefully Nantes gets a game or 2.

Unlikely. Local stadiums are either too big (La Beaujoire) or too small (RU ground and former FC Nantes stadium)

Generally speaking, it will be a very southern competition. I believe they will try to have something in Paris (with RU Racing 92 Arena as the best option IMO), but I won't be surprised if we end up with nothing in the northern half of the country... and that would be ok.

Edit: this thread has been fully highjacked

Edited by Gambass
  • Like 1

On 20/11/2022 at 09:23, Tosh said:

Regarding Jamaica I’ve been saying this for years .

You only have to look at the long list of sporting stars that have come from Jamaica be it track&field athlete's, boxers, footballers and cricketers etc.

Not hyperbole but Jamaica could be the Fiji of the Caribbean. Both league and union.

Why would athletes want to play u—-? That makes no sense. Aside from that, I agree. 

• Haha 2

I'm reading the Wikipedia 2025 RLWC article for the first time. 

16 teams playing in the women's

This is good, but it'd mean (even more than in the men's tournament) lots of cricket scores. But with 16 teams, I hope my Italy can get there too. Before the pandemic, they had some interesting and encouraging tests. Italian women's RU is getting very strong and women's ru players seem to like our code. 

youth (Under-19 men)

This is very very good, as we'd see lots of high level and high profile games. In this tournament, I'd expect England to field their best youth squad (they don't send their best youngsters in the U-19 Euros, if I'm not wrong). Here, the divide between the Southern and Northern Hemisphere can be very big. This if NZ, Aus and the Pacific teams field their best eligible squad. 

wheelchair 

Very interesting. Back in France, where the 2017 World Cup had been played. That time, France beat England 38 – 34 in an epic final and the English win last Friday will make this rivalry grow. I expect the Aussies to invest in their Wheelchair game and this can only help. Games on the BBC would be perfect, given the audience they reached in 2022. 

I still have to understand how and when the World Cup qualifiers would be played. If in 2023, or 2024. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Think they should bring the tournament forward a month to be held in Sep/Oct rather than Oct/Nov so we can enjoy a little bit of warmer weather. Won't be too warm for the players and the French public get to view thousands of pasty English legs that only get to see the sun half a dozen times a year.😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Copa said:

I might actually get to the WC in France.

I’ve never been to France and am keen to see the sites. 

And the sights that are on those sites?

Edit - Apologies, that was rude of me to cite!

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Haha 1

On 22/11/2022 at 08:09, Tommygilf said:

Barcelona hosted the 2016 French Top 14 final.

Domestic competition rather than a international one but I guess there’s some sort of planning involved for rugby Union as Spain actually play the game and are progressing year on year like Portugal.