Way too early Predictions

6 hours ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

You were going ok until you mentioned Battye.

Right now i fear for us, we can put out an ok 17 but there isn't a great backing that up. We need two quality overseas players to enhance the starting team and some of the current names being banded around are a little underwhelming to be honest. Then we need a couple of solid SL quality depth signings but most players of that ilk have already been snapped up. It could be a long season given the improvement most teams have made. I do though hope and expect some decent additions that may well improve the outlook.

All that said for all their bluster i reckon it will be a bottom two battle with Leigh. They'll be more competitive than most sides that come up, their retained squad is better than most that have entered super league and they've signed a couple of good ones but the majority of their signings are average SL players and not much more. With MacDonald going in particular they lack a little depth in some areas but their major problem is up front. There is only 3 experienced props in the squad plus a couple of kids as back up. And of the experienced ones big Ben isn't all that great in my opinion, he couldn't cut it at the top level last time round with Salford and i've seen nothing last year to make me think he has stepped up a level. I was surprised they allowed Sidlow depart to be honest. With no quota space i'm struggling to see how they strengthen that area and that will ultimately be their downfall if they don't. I'll wait with final predictions until the beginning of february when the squads are complete but right now i'll take Wakeys escape knowhow to come into play again.

All of the above is very true, I do think Battye gets stuck in though, not everyone's favourite but gives his all imo. Like you say we have alot of quality but with injuries/suspensions we are very light in the reserves - we never seem to have a big squad. We just got to hold tight to see who comes in and be ready to go in February. Be nice to get off to a good start at home to Catalans to give the boys an early lift. Can't wait for the season to start, this football world cup dross is hard to bear lol 😆 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

Bigger squad this year so would fancy Salford for top 6 again. But on a whole the league looks a lot tighter

Would be impressive although I am more interested in Salford getting a decision on whether they are staying at AJ Bell as owners or they are leaving and they can move forward in different direction. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I think we'll win the first three.

If only we could guess what Widnes' game plan will be?🤔

Surely, we can't believe those ridiculous rumours that the first seventy minutes will be five drives and a kick?😲

Hopefully, we'll put at least twenty past them.

Would be amazed with three , delighted with two and just about cope with one. 

8 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

No Catalans, can see them in instead of Salford who with a few injuries and no cash to replace could be struggling. 

Salford are always written off because it's Salford but their squad looks stronger than last year so it's illogical reasoning to say they will struggle, they were one of the best teams in the league just a few months ago.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DG70 said:

Salford are always written off because it's Salford but their squad looks stronger than last year so it's illogical reasoning to say they will struggle, they were one of the best teams in the league just a few months ago.

Two years ago they were only saved by the teams rigging the system against Leigh. 

Salford get predicted to struggle because they have less cash and money largely equals success as better players get picked off for more cash. I don’t see Salford below Wakefield but I think regression to the mean and finishing outside the playoffs is likely. 

I think that first game vs Leigh will be a big indication. 

15 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Salford were an exception to playing to the same structure, and but for a very questionable performance by the match official and unfortunate injuries to two of their better players one the previous week and one very early in the game Saints may well have not proceeded to the title.

I hope that my team will try to emulate Salford moreso than the robotic style of the majority of the SL teams.

Im biased because Rowley is in my top 3 all time players at Fax but I think he's a really good coach and a breath of fresh air for the game. I never got the stick he got off Leigh fans as personally I thought he did the best he could with what he had available and turned them in to a quality team as well.

On the flip side to outsiders I guess that is a little like Richard Marshall at Fax, Fax fans feeling like he under achieved and could not take us to the next level despite the money he had at his disposal and outsiders thinking he had over achieved. After Fax got rid I were surprised he got another head coach gig but I think he has found his best role as a very good assistant.

Edited by The Blues Ox

23 hours ago, phiggins said:

Agree with you about Leigh's strength down the middle. Having not watched much Super League on TV in recent years, so I've no idea what to expect from Mulhern or Davis. Nakubuwei did improve as the season went on last year, and I think he will be a handy interchange prop next year.

Did find the comments on MacDonald and Sidlow quite strange though. MacDonald's replacement was already signed, and centre is one position I think we're ok coverwise. And while Sidlow was a big loss, I'm not sure we "allowed him to leave". He was out of contract and accepted an offer from Salford. Given his age, a two year deal and Salford's recent form, I can't say I blame him.

As i understand you only offered Sidlow one year as opposed to the two he had on the table from Salford. If you'd matched it he would have stayed but you wouldn't, hence 'allowed him to go'. Looking at him he looks to have a couple of years left in him so thats why i was surprised.

20 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

As a Leigh fan Macdonald vacating the club does not cause me to much concern, his form dipped right off as the season progressed and I wonder how he will perform in SL, if he stays I hope that he gets a rocket up his backside but I see him as a Winger moreso than a centre.

I agree with you though about the props that does require some improvement in my opinion, but only this week the club has said there is still money to be spent and there will be no rush to just to fill spaces, so as you say that the squads will be complete as of February, in Leigh's case that may not be so.

I get what you are saying but I think you guys getting off to a good start is vital, hence getting your ducks in a row early would be an advantage. There seems to be a couple of winnable games for you in that first month. It would relieve a lot of pressure and heap it on us as we have a very tough start. That is your chance to steal a march.

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Two years ago they were only saved by the teams rigging the system against Leigh. 

Salford get predicted to struggle because they have less cash and money largely equals success as better players get picked off for more cash. I don’t see Salford below Wakefield but I think regression to the mean and finishing outside the playoffs is likely. 

I think that first game vs Leigh will be a big indication. 

Looking forward to bumping this post a couple of months into the season.😁

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Looking forward to bumping this post a couple of months into the season.😁

Feel free, When Salford went on their great fun to Final they were so unlucky covid came year later so zero chance to build momentum. The result off the pitch this season for Salford is going to be the most important one this time though. 

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It will be Leigh's enthusiasm with half a team of new players against Salfords tried and trusted methods, I have Salford as favourites.

On Sky, Friday night, at Leigh to a local rival and first game of season. Salford fans travel well so already feels like a big game. 

32 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

On Sky, Friday night, at Leigh to a local rival and first game of season. Salford fans travel well so already feels like a big game. 

Oh it most definitely is a big game, as all Leigh games will be this season to the fans of the club, consolidation is the key this season anything better than 12th will do albeit it doesn't hurt to wish for more - which secretly I think we will manage, but I don't intend shouting it too loudly.

Edited by Harry Stottle

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

It will be Leigh's enthusiasm with half a team of new players against Salfords tried and trusted methods, I have Salford as favourites.

Even when leigh had poor sides they always started the season well, this side is better and I would not be surprised if they win quite a few of the early games. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2022 at 11:54, ShropshireBull said:

We still all have Wakey down after Ferg did a runner I assume? 

He'll be a big miss, but if the newly opened quote spot is spent on a decent prop then ultimately i think the squad will be more balanced and in a better place. It could turn out to be a blessing in disguise once injuries start biting in the forwards. If we can pick up another NRL outcast in the mould of O'Donnell or Amone it would be perfect for me.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Predictable comment to say the least.

Is it confirmed that the bottom club goes down. I thought that the cat B clubs are ranked to see who starts life in the top division in 2024.

Edited by ELBOWSEYE

3 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Is it confirmed that the bottom club goes down. I thought that the cat B clubs are ranked to see who starts life in the top division in 2024.

Gradings given in 2023 are a guide only. Proper effects of the grading comes into play at the end of the 2024 season

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I think you are missing the point Elbow, the poster Sweaty answered wouldn't have Leigh playing in the NCL, and also coming from Workington would also like Haven relegated, that was the predictability we were referring to.

4 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

He'll be a big miss, but if the newly opened quote spot is spent on a decent prop then ultimately i think the squad will be more balanced and in a better place. It could turn out to be a blessing in disguise once injuries start biting in the forwards. If we can pick up another NRL outcast in the mould of O'Donnell or Amone it would be perfect for me.

You might also want to keep some powder dry throughout the season as players become available. 

15 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

You might also want to keep some powder dry throughout the season as players become available. 

Well Leigh did that last season but not from these shores and that door has been firmly closed for Leigh having all but one space still available - and just been made possible by Ferguson leaving, so where do Leigh get the players from as the season progresses who are not already tied up?

Unless they can identify some Championship players capable of making the transition and stepping up to SL then that is about the only route, but to do that mid season is a big gamble it is one that should be done well before hostilities begin and have said player(s) in for pre season.

This Leigh fan is not as confident as I once was about the coming season.

Edited by Harry Stottle