2023 friendlies

Batley Bob

51 minutes ago, phildog said:

So we did get a game in after all but we never saw a squad for what was supposed to happen. We do like to know you know....

TRUE P behind closed doors on a 3G pitch at at John's university that's £85 quid to rent not bad £40 each for a game of rugby 

Rumours are that you lost this one though: Opposed session at Batley | Oldham RLFC (roughyeds.co.uk)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

As everybody keeps saying these are learning games and I guess Linners learned A LOT from that yesterday if those brief highlights are any guide. We tackled poorly on our line (funnily enough on Sunday night I'd watched a re-run of the NRC semi v Leigh with our tremendous goal-line defence, often brought up by Barrie McDermott in commentary about the ridiculously low numbers of missed tackles!), from the highlights it was apparent that we didn't have many. Did JoshH play on the wing or was it an occasional thing? Great centre but not a speed merchant as shown when stripped on the outside. I know, learning....and I know nothing's at stake.

12 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

9 players missing from the squad I can see why we played we have to try and jel the squad together by London 

Who was missing ? 

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

One of the guys from the Show Me The Money podcast said he was there and that Batley only brought 17 and York had a lot more subs. He also said that he'd congratulated one of the York players afterwards but received the reply "they weren't up for it".  I don't know if all that is true but either way it's doubtful the game will have much relevance once the regular season starts (he did say Josh Woods went off with an ankle injury after 20 minutes but wasn't sure if the injury was of any significance).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

One of the guys from the Show Me The Money podcast said he was there and that Batley only brought 17 and York had a lot more subs. He also said that he'd congratulated one of the York players afterwards but received the reply "they weren't up for it".  I don't know if all that is true but either way it's doubtful the game will have much relevance once the regular season starts (he did say Josh Woods went off with an ankle injury after 20 minutes but wasn't sure if the injury was of any significance).

Agree on your point made above! No points won or lost on this game, though it is a little disconcerting that we took a bit of a hammering. Of the three possible outcomes of this match, this was the worst. However, CL has said that he has no real interest in the results of friendlies, just the performances so I hope he learned plenty from this one. I think last season's friendly results weren't up to much (in fact I can only remember the Huddersfield one now) but had little influence on the season.

It's coming back to me now. Didn't we also lose to Bradford and Widnes in our warm-ups last season?

Edited by distantdog

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

Agree on your point made above! No points won or lost on this game, though it is a little disconcerting that we took a bit of a hammering. Of the three possible outcomes of this match, this was the worst. However, CL has said that he has no real interest in the results of friendlies, just the performances so I hope he learned plenty from this one. I think last season's friendly results weren't up to much (in fact I can only remember the Huddersfield one now) but had little influence on the season.

It's coming back to me now. Didn't we also lose to Bradford and Widnes in our warm-ups last season?

Widnes - season before we lost to fev and dewsbury 😉