Owen Farrell to sign for Wigan?

16 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Played kick and clap for far too long.  Don't think he'd cut it in League.

Would generate some publicity and be a bit of a black eye for the Tarquins and Ruperts.

He kicked a lot of penalties, drop goals for England, which in their game can often be the difference between winning and losing.

However they are worth less points for league so his value to the team immediately reduces. 

I haven't watched him enough to know if the rest of his game is good enough. 

He would have been a superb player.

Maybe not so much at 31.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Would generate some publicity and be a bit of a black eye for the Tarquins and Ruperts.

I literally laughed out loud. Although, my son, Rupert, loves League 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

He would get smashed and be out half way through the season, not half the player his dad was.  Off the field would be a huge boost for the game. 

Except that Wigan almost certainly can't afford him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Wow!! Shows your lack of knowledge about the game.

Your own England captain Sam Tomkins assured listeners on a recent interview that Farrell would be the best player in Super League! 

😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Owen Farrell would go pretty well I think. That being said, it is often hard to pick. Vunivalu was one of the best wingers in the NRL but nothing special in Super Rugby whereas Tom Wright has done quite well for the Brumbies and Wallabies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eal said:

Vunivalu was one of the best wingers in the NRL but nothing special in Super Rugby 

Massive loss to League for me.

People dismiss it as "just another winger, the NRL has loads.... " etc, but for me he was destined to be a superstar in League. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Your own England captain Sam Tomkins assured listeners on a recent interview that Farrell would be the best player in Super League! 

😄

Strange that because as a junior he was nothing special 

Wow, this might just possibly happen. 

Where does he play though? It wouldn’t be just Wigan but presumably  England too (2024 Ashes anyone?).

The default position is always 13 because of his dad but would he really be learning his trade as a middle (loose) forward in his 30s? Would he really oust Victor Radley at 13?

Maybe he’d be better at 6 or 7 given he’s played most of his career as a fly half?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, eal said:

Owen Farrell would go pretty well I think. That being said, it is often hard to pick. Vunivalu was one of the best wingers in the NRL but nothing special in Super Rugby whereas Tom Wright has done quite well for the Brumbies and Wallabies.

Yes ultimately it is very difficult to spot, there's an endless line of NRL reserve graders that have gone on to become Wallabies/All Blacks but then again there's some very good players in RL who have struggled to transition to RU.

I did see the other day a Super Rugby prop from one of the NZ teams has signed with a QCup side, now I think that is a very bold transition - the front row of both codes are extremely different from one another.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Madrileño said:

😄

That is a little misleading.  What Tomkins was saying is that Farrell would have been the best player in Super League... I.e. a generational talent that didn't actually play Rugby League.  He was not suggesting that Farrell would be the best player today if he moved to Rugby League. 

I am one of those who subscribe to the view that he would have been a superb player, he has everything to succeed.

But I also think that you don't get the best of someone transitioning after 31 so this is all hypothetical. 

• Like 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Wow, this might just possibly happen. 

Where does he play though? It wouldn’t be just Wigan but presumably  England too (2024 Ashes anyone?).

The default position is always 13 because of his dad but would he really be learning his trade as a middle (loose) forward in his 30s? Would he really oust Victor Radley at 13?

Maybe he’d be better at 6 or 7 given he’s played most of his career as a fly half?

No way is Farrell a 13... he could go well at fullback but would guess youd be looking at a 6 or centre. His pace is not what it was, he isnt a bad playmaker and can run the ball well, and tackle. 

He is 31 thought so his body is quite badly bashed up, whether he could do it now is a different matter to whether he would have been good enough earlier in his career which is what Sam Tomkins was saying IIRC. 

I cannot see him coming though, he earns a big salary at Saracens, he gets a very nice "top up" from England plus endorsements. Some endorsements he would keep but not all. I would guess, and it is, of course a massive guess, that he is starting to set things up for post RUWC 2023 (this time next year) when I would expect England will start to move on from him more as he wont make the next cycle. That being the case he can move abroad without any issues and earn even more than he is at Saracens. 

As for the companies, there are all sorts of possibilities including tax reasons for doing this (as Saracens have shown in the past), especially if he does move abroad for a couple of years, so it could be something and nothing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madrileño said:

😄

But that's not what he said though was it.

Luther Burrell springs to mind.

"But he has previous experience...."

I would love to see George Ford switch just to see him get cut in two. Very irritating bloke and for what he did to Burgess.