World Cup 2029/33 with a bit of 32

Found an interesting article on the future of international RL

Certainly can see a Pacific oriented WC in 29 but don’t think the US is ready for 33 unless major international events are held their before hand to wet the appetite, but an Olympic 9’s could do RL a world of good
https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-olympics-2032-two-disciplines-1945494

• 1 month later...

NRL 2023: Anthony Albanese backs PNG’s NRL bid as World Cup in Pacific gains traction (smh.com.au)

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has again endorsed the idea of a Papua New Guinea NRL franchise as rugby league officials explore proposals – including a Pacific-based World Cup – to capitalise on the game’s rise in the region.

Albanese will become the first overseas leader to address Papua New Guinea’s parliament when he heads to Port Moresby this week. Before departing Canberra, he spruiked the prospect of an NRL side based in PNG.

I'm very keen to see a rugby league team participate in the NRL that would be based in Papua New Guinea and involve our Pacific Island friends,” Albanese said on Wednesday.

“That’s something that we’ve had discussions about and I’ve discussed with the National Rugby League. There are no greater friends than Australia and Papua New Guinea – tomorrow’s visit will cement that.”

Australian PM Anthony Albaneses would be well aware that hosting a RLWC in the Pacific would very well be a loss-making venture, the same as Papua New Guinea having its` own NRL team, yet he continues to push it.

Given the alarm surrounding China`s push into the Pacific, and it is very real, me thinks that Albanese and his Australian Labor Government see League as a method of swaying hearts and minds in that region. 

Does this mean they are prepared to underwrite a tournament in the region, why not, given the ten`s of millions thy throw at hosting other large international tournaments. They might think it would be worth the money.

Either way if they do, then you`d have to say at least League will definitely be the number one sport in that region.

• Like 1

I do like Grant and have enjoyed listening to his interviews in the past but his comments in that article are all over the show compared to what he has said in the past and some are nothing more than cheap soundbites. He says all the right things but the worry is he is increasingly coming across as style over substance.

He now needs to start to deliver. That also needs to extend further than doffing his cap to the NRL and simply waiting to go along with what they say. The fact is despite much talking and grand statements the game still has no international calendar, despite the latest days of meetings back in October and we still have no idea what is going on even this year. That really isn't good enough.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Australian PM Anthony Albaneses would be well aware that hosting a RLWC in the Pacific would very well be a loss-making venture, the same as Papua New Guinea having its` own NRL team, yet he continues to push it.

Given the alarm surrounding China`s push into the Pacific, and it is very real, me thinks that Albanese and his Australian Labor Government see League as a method of swaying hearts and minds in that region. 

Does this mean they are prepared to underwrite a tournament in the region, why not, given the ten`s of millions thy throw at hosting other large international tournaments. They might think it would be worth the money.

Either way if they do, then you`d have to say at least League will definitely be the number one sport in that region.

It's not the NRL's responsibility to turn Papua New Guinea into bulwark against Chinese expansion in the South Pacific so you'd think the Australian government would have to offer some pretty big sweeteners for this to happen.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I do like Grant and have enjoyed listening to his interviews in the past but his comments in that article are all over the show compared to what he has said in the past and some are nothing more than cheap soundbites. He says all the right things but the worry is he is increasingly coming across as style over substance.

He now needs to start to deliver. That also needs to extend further than doffing his cap to the NRL and simply waiting to go along with what they say. The fact is despite much talking and grand statements the game still has no international calendar, despite the latest days of meetings back in October and we still have no idea what is going on even this year. That really isn't good enough.

He's a politician. I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him. In the contact I've had with him that opinion has only gotten worse.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-21/nsw-police-minister-troy-grant-fined-for-using-phone-in-car/8372962

• Haha 1

new rise.jpg

That’s cheap soft power influence for the Australian government if they want to help fund an nrl team in PNG and help combat against Chinese influence.

The Australian government currently gives around $500 million to PNG annually so diverting some to subsidise an NRL team isn’t a big deal financially…. the Australian domestic politics would be hard though. “Australian government wastes money on NRL team” would be the headlines in the anti-government press.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Copa said:

That’s cheap soft power influence for the Australian government if they want to help fund an nrl team in PNG and help combat against Chinese influence.

The Australian government currently gives around $500 million to PNG annually so diverting some to subsidise an NRL team isn’t a big deal financially…. the Australian domestic politics would be hard though. “Australian government wastes money on NRL team” would be the headlines in the anti-government press.

It won't happen the NRL has said that even with funding, the country is simply to dangerous. Albo leading them on like this won't end well.

1 hour ago, Dirkgee said:

It won't happen the NRL has said that even with funding, the country is simply to dangerous. Albo leading them on like this won't end well.

They already have a team in the QLD Cup and Queensland teams have been traveling there for years to play away games in PNG.

Anything can be achieved with the correct safety protocols in place.

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Using phone while driving!!  HA!  Is that the best you got?

I don't really care about the offence but being the Police minister (and ex-cop) and saying you didn't know it was illegal is the worst part.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, Copa said:

They already have a team in the QLD Cup and Queensland teams have been traveling there for years to play away games in PNG.

Anything can be achieved with the correct safety protocols in place.

There was also a series of RLWC games there in 2017 plus the GB visit - all passed without incident.